• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which oil filter?

Funny, he claims the Napa Gold and silver filters are identical - they aren't. The Gold filter is a Wix filter with a helical center tube, slightly better filter element, and better bypass spring, while the silver may or may not be made by wix (depends on the application) and usually has a standard cylindrical spot-welded center tube, so-so element, and sometimes a stamped steel bypas spring. The end caps are usually stronger on the Gold.

I use the NAPA Gold in my inboard V8 stump pullin ski boat, works so far!

Never have had a problem with FL1A filter from leaking. I always lubriate the seal and once it makes contact with the block, I give the filter an additional 3/4 turn.

"Opentracker" said:
I'm sure it was just a type-O . You did mean 351 in the boat - - Right :yikes

Sadly John, Mastercraft switched to 350's in the 90's...mine is a 96. I do have to say though that it's been trouble free since I bought the boat, 4 years ago.

Tracy:

Over the years I've used a lot of different brand filters, including Fram, and never had a problem with any of them. When I bought a Porsche in 1990 I decided that I would stick with name brand filters given the volume of oil (12 quarts) being filtered and the different designs on the pressure relief valves. I found that the Porsche brand filters from the dealer were actually less expensive than Fram and used them exclusively. That engine now has 165,000 miles on it and is still solid and strong with no oil or oil filter related issues.

On the Mustang, I use Wix as it is conveniently available and not that much more expensive than the low cost/quality filters typically found at the chain stores. High quality oil and oil filters are cheap engine insurance in my book.

I agree 100%. Just came back from buying a case of Brad Penn and then swung by NAPA and bought their gold 1515 (wix) filter. Though I previously mentioned I never had a problem with Motorcraft, I think I've read enough review that indicate Wix is better. As Jeff said, cheap insurance.

Back