• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 - Wheel Size

Mach1ne

I am looking for some help on deciding if a set of Bassett DOT wheels will fit on my car.

http://www.bassettwheel.com/dot.html

My car is lowered about 1.5 inches all around.

I have 14x7s on it now.

If you look at the backspace options, I am thinking that the 15x7s with the 3.625 backspace would not work (not enough backspace) and I would need to go with the 15x8s with the 4.5 backspace.

What do you guys think I should go with?

I understand that tire size will help me get clearance but I do not want to run too low of profile tires.

I am looking for more of a 1970's Trans Am racing look without paying $1000 for a set of Mini-Lites knock offs. (I am not trying to be a poser. I am doing some upgrades to run it a few times at the track this summer.)

Replies welcome (except from SilverBlue"Big Poser" and 70_Fastback).

Thanks.

Skip

That should work. somewhere on one of these forums someone had a web site with wheel and tire sizes for our cars. I can't remember who it was or where it was, guys any help???

Mel

Mel, I forgot all about that site. I will search around again to find it.

I am also looking for anyone who is actually running something other than 14x7s on their 70s and if they have issues.

Thanks.

Skip

Mine has 1" lowering blocks in the rear + the typical sag from original leafs and approx 1 1/2" down in front with 15x7 all around. I can't be sure of the backspacing but they are the typical Cragar rims. One issue you did not mention was your anticipated tire size which will affect the clearance, not just the rim size. FYI, I'm using 225/60 in front, 245/60 in rear.

"Mach1ne" said:
Replies welcome (except from SilverBlue"Big Poser" and 70_Fastback).

Thanks.

Skip

Wow! I guess I know who won't get ANY help from me at the track next year.

"Mach1ne" said:
Mel, I forgot all about that site. I will search around again to find it.

I am also looking for anyone who is actually running something other than 14x7s on their 70s and if they have issues.

Thanks.

Skip

You know I'm running 17"s on all 4 corners on mine, and I'm much lower than you. I have 9" wide on the rear with 6"BS (3/8" spacer) and 8" wide on the front (4.5"BS)

Jeremy, your fronts are really close. The back should not be an issue. I guess I could come over and borrow one of your front wheels this winter as a test.

Go with the 15x8's w/4.5" backspacing. That's what I'm running on my '69, with 275/50's in back and 225/60's in front. The rear tires are 1/2" taller than the front, despite them being 50 series tires, because they are so wide.

I do get a rub on the front valance with the wheels turned all the way. I think it's because of the amount of caster I run.

I've never rubbed a tire in the back, even with 2 adults in the back seat. I do have 5 leaf Grab-a-Tracks in back, though, and my rear wheel lips are rolled flat.

Do what John says. I followed his sizing on my 65 and it is perfect. Gotta finish rolling the fenders though. I get a slight rub in the back. Maybe a spring change will fix that too.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
Do what John says. I followed his sizing on my 65 and it is perfect. Gotta finish rolling the fenders though. I get a slight rub in the back. Maybe a spring change will fix that too.

Mel

I have been :dh for some time now. John is probably tired of answering this question for me. Sorry John.

Doing the math on the tires sizes and going with the 15x8s with 4.5 keeps coming out okay.

I will need to work on finding the right road course tires now.

Thanks to all.

Skip

15's with 4.5" backspace WILL rub the UCA in front, unless you modify the UCAs or run spacers.

Oh... and Johnpro is running 4.25" backspace with his Cragars. That 1/4" makes all the difference in fit... :craz

"BobV" said:
15's with 4.5" backspace WILL rub the UCA in front, unless you modify the UCAs or run spacers.

Oh... and Johnpro is running 4.25" backspace with his Cragars. That 1/4" makes all the difference in fit... :craz

Agreed, I have 15x7 & 4.5" BS and it hits hard...I don't know how well it even rolls like that.

I guess I am back to looking at 15x7s with 4 inch backspace (of course Bassett does not have that size) to play it safe or just stay with 14x7s and a limited set of tire choices.

15x8 with 4.0 will probably also have issues.

15x7 with 3.625 might work but I will need to make some measurements to be sure.

Mark, as I will be a learner on the track, how do you think the standard BF Goodrich Radial T/As hold up? They appear to be some of the cheapest priced tires around at tirerack.com.

Replace your springs and you will be able to run 15x8s with 4.25 BS.

If you can't run 15x7s with 4" BS I guess I have to take them off the 67. Hehehe

I am running 15x7s with 4.25 BS on the back of the 67. I wish I had 15x8s with a wider tire. I can see I have room for it.

Make sure to roll the fender lips.

Mel

"Mach1ne" said:
Jeremy, your fronts are really close. The back should not be an issue. I guess I could come over and borrow one of your front wheels this winter as a test.

You're right, they are CLOSE. They have never rubbed once. And again, you sit HIGHER than I do in the front. I have 8" wide with 4.5"BS with no problems.

All of my wheels are TTD's, 15x7 with the 3 3/4" B.S., no rubbing on the front or rear, even with Bluestreaks on.

I started with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, 215/70R15's. They are great for learning cause they have ZERO grip. You will go a ton slower with a tire like that, but the car will be a handful (again, great for learning). If you want some tire advice, go to CC.com and search, they have some really good threads. They also have some at Corral.net in the auto x and road racing forum (lot of the CC guys there too).

I've run Goodyear Bluestreak bias tires (a buttload of fun), Hoosier R6's (fly paper sticky) and the Nitto NT-01's (fun and sticky). It all depends on how much you want to go/learn/scare the hell outta yourself!

"70_Fastback" said:
You're right, they are CLOSE. They have never rubbed once. And again, you sit HIGHER than I do in the front. I have 8" wide with 4.5"BS with no problems.
Yes, but yours are 17"....... The same combo in a 15" will hit the UCA. Apples, meet oranges.

Back