• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 - Wheel Size

I would suggest finding the tire you want, then the wheel. There aren't many size options with 15" wheels & track tires. More with 16" and gobs with 17"

Yeah, like this guy:
solo08-pic7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you miss the point here. The overall diameter and width is the important part. If you want less sidewall, get a taller wheel and put low pros on it. You can still have the same diameter and width as a 14x7 with the stock size tires with a 15x7 or 16 or even 17.

I like the idea of deciding the tire size and then the wheel....

Mel

I agree with you Mel.

I have also been researching tire sizes and the selection of tires for 14, 15, and 16 inch rims keeps shrinking.

I am sure the selection of rims in those sizes is going to shrink also.

And I thought that this was going to be easy.

Stop pussyfoot'n around and buy some 15" mini lites...........tightwad.

Unfortunately I am donating my current excess cash to the body shop to get some rust and body panel alignment issues resolved along with having them install my subframe connectors. I would have liked to do some of this myself but I suck at body work. I have no problem with mechanicals.

The body shop just called me to say that the work the previous owner had done on the front valance was crap and the it needs to be blasted and repainted. The skim coat of putty that the PO had put on it to smooth it out had not fully cured before it was painted. More money.

I am going to do the rest of the work myself (front discs, oil pan, etc..).

Hopefully Santa will drop by some additonal yearend earnings this month.

The wife wants an amount in cash equal to what I am spending on the car. Ouch.

I guess I will just have to put on the G string and hit the circuit again. :pep

"guruatbol" said:
I think you miss the point here. The overall diameter and width is the important part. If you want less sidewall, get a taller wheel and put low pros on it. You can still have the same diameter and width as a 14x7 with the stock size tires with a 15x7 or 16 or even 17.

...sort of. The rim diameter and backspace are just as important... The idea is to get MORE tire width than stock. With a larger diameter rim, you get to run extra backspacing and extra wheel & tire width, since everything tucks inside the wheelwell better. Yes, the overall diameter stays constant, but extra width is certainly possible with the right combination. It's all a juggling act...

Try fitting a 255 section 14" tire on an 8" wide wheel on the front and you'll see (it won't fit). Yet, with a 17x8 wheel (4.75 BS) and 255 tire, you'll have room to spare.

With that said, some people prefer the look of taller sidewalls, or run a smaller OD tire for a lower CG and less rolling inertia. All depends on what you want, budget, and how serious you are. :)

With ALL that said, you won't find a budget 17" solution... Just starting out, I'd get a cheap set of 15x7 4" BS wheels, some decent 235/245 /50/15 tires and get out there and work on improving the nut behind the steering wheel... :ecit

"BobV" said:
Just starting out, I'd get a cheap set of 15x7 4" BS wheels, some decent 235/245 /50/15 tires and get out there and work on improving the nut behind the steering wheel... :ecit

That's what I've been say'n. Snot like he's gonna be fast anyway, with that pig engine he has :scar

Ouch. That really hurt my feelings.

MustangsPlus/Grab-A-Trak has a 15x7 that would work. It is just that Bassett has better pricing. About half the price of MustangsPlus but they do not have a 15x7x4.

Looks like I will be giving them a call to confirm that it is 15x7x4.

Thanks to all for helping me spend my money.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

"silverblueBP" said:
That's what I've been say'n. Snot like he's gonna be fast anyway, with that pig engine he has :scar
Pig engine pushing a big yellow submarine...

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks Bob.

I am not sure how I did not stumble across that one in my searching.

And in regards to the yellow submarine, at least it is not :gobp.

"guruatbol" said:
Do I hear a track time grudge match coming on?

Mel

No, got enough on my hands to pass those damn cruzers :cry

Thanks Bob.

I missed the Cragars also. I do not know where I went astray.

Seems like the my way/the cheap way to go.

I sure like the look of the smaller rims and the larger sidewalls.

I guess the 17x8x4.5 would work based on your's and Jeremy's comments but with lower profile tires.

Once again the lower profile tire choices for the 17x8 rims is huge.

Back to looking at tires.

Later.

Skip

Back