• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 - Wheel Size

I'm running 17x8's with 4.5" backspace on mine.
Tires are 225/45 on front 235/45 on the rear.

I had 15" Cragars on before but I got tired of trying to find 15" tire options too.

If these are to be your track tires, go with lower profile to keep the tire from rolling under and burning up the outer edge after day 1! Trust me, you can chew up some tires while having too much fun.

You are correct sir.

Plenty of tire options for the larger rims.

P.S. Woke up with a bad cold this morning so had to take a PTO day instead of going to work and making others sick.

The shop working on my car had called me on Monday and wanted me to come look at the progress on the car.

Since I was off on my own dime (employee owned company), I went down today to look at it. They have the rust repaired/painted and the entire front end panel alignment done.

They started working on the subframe connectors today. They thought they would be done by the end of the week. They have not been wasting any time.

They have found a few of my "hidden" problems so they are working on those in the process.

Later.

I know. I was kind of kicking myself for not taking my camera an getting pictures while it was on the lift.

They told me that they have been taking pics and will get them to me when done.

They had a wide variety of Mustangs in the shop, a 69 Shelby, a 65/66 fastback, a 71/73 Mach 1, and several coupes.

I was going to ask them about the fastback but realized that the clock was running on my subframe install while he was showing me the other cars.

Figured I was taking a tour on my dime so I got out of their way.

I am going to get started on the oil pan and front disc brakes once it gets back home.

Funny, but I just noticed your user title :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think that I can thank Jeremy for that one. My wife got a kick out of it when I showed her.

I just need to keep making posts to get the FNG title upgraded.

I can live with the Mr. Clean.

"Mach1ne" said:

Just follow Mark's lead.....

thumb_postwhore.gif

"Mach1ne" said:
I think that I can thank Jeremy for that one. My wife got a kick out of it when I showed her.

I can live with the Mr. Clean.

I don't think I did that Skip. If I did, I don't remember doing it. :sad

"BobV" said:
...sort of. The rim diameter and backspace are just as important... The idea is to get MORE tire width than stock. With a larger diameter rim, you get to run extra backspacing and extra wheel & tire width, since everything tucks inside the wheelwell better. Yes, the overall diameter stays constant, but extra width is certainly possible with the right combination. It's all a juggling act...

Try fitting a 255 section 14" tire on an 8" wide wheel on the front and you'll see (it won't fit). Yet, with a 17x8 wheel (4.75 BS) and 255 tire, you'll have room to spare.

With that said, some people prefer the look of taller sidewalls, or run a smaller OD tire for a lower CG and less rolling inertia. All depends on what you want, budget, and how serious you are. :)

With ALL that said, you won't find a budget 17" solution... Just starting out, I'd get a cheap set of 15x7 4" BS wheels, some decent 235/245 /50/15 tires and get out there and work on improving the nut behind the steering wheel... :ecit

Okay back to the wheel discussion.

Bob, you think that I should go with 17x8x4.75?

Jeremy's 17x8x4.5s do not leave much clearence on the front.

DodgeStang's charts so that I should be fine with a 245/45/17 with a 17x8x4.0.

Do you think that a wheel shop in KC would have a wheel with tire to loan me to confirm what will work.

I was thinking about the wheel shop down from me on Johnson Drive.

My other option would be to see if Jeremy will loan me his two front wheels for a day.

Thoughts?

Another thought I just had, are you looking at one piece wheels? There's a ton of stress put on the wheels on a road course and a lot (including me) use one pc wheels (TTD's). You might want to check that out.

The problem is that steel wheels are two piece. I would have to go with a milled aluminum wheel to get a one piece. More money.

I guess you did not fly out again this morning with the temp being -19?

"Mach1ne" said:
Bob, you think that I should go with 17x8x4.75?

Jeremy's 17x8x4.5s do not leave much clearence on the front.

DodgeStang's charts so that I should be fine with a 245/45/17 with a 17x8x4.0.

Do you think that a wheel shop in KC would have a wheel with tire to loan me to confirm what will work.

I was thinking about the wheel shop down from me on Johnson Drive.

My other option would be to see if Jeremy will loan me his two front wheels for a day.

Thoughts?

4.75 BS is best, but hard to find, especially in a cheap steelie wheel. I THINK you'll be fine , but it's close enough that I'd find a way to BEG, BORROW, or STEAL Jeremy's wheels for an hour...
IIRC, he's running 245/40/17 on front???

These cars vary enough from car to car that what fits on one may be one size too big on another... :amaz

These cars vary enough from car to car that what fits on one may be one size too big on another...

This is a very good point. While Dodgestangs chart is helpful..... and input and advice from other members is always welcome.... I've found over the years that there are too many small variables to positively "guarantee" that any aftermarket wheel/tire size (other than stock) will fit w/o issue.

The best way to ascertain whether a certain size will fit or not is to borrow a set and try them.

"BobV" said:
15's with 4.5" backspace WILL rub the UCA in front, unless you modify the UCAs or run spacers.

Oh... and Johnpro is running 4.25" backspace with his Cragars. That 1/4" makes all the difference in fit... :craz

My bad. You are correct. I checked and I have the 4.25" backspace on 15x8 Crager S/S's

Ok Bob...you're scaring me. Knowing one's backset better than the owner is unsettling :rp

Back