• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 Saleen #039 - It's A-L-I-V-E (again)!!!

Re: Presenting: 1991 Saleen #039

Interior is 95% back in. Haven't got to the door panels yet...
I added 1" spacers at the back of the seat tracks to take care of the infamous "Flofit lean". Seats now sit upright instead of laid back. I did put the older floormats back in for normal use - saving the new set for show. A quick trip around the block conformed that many of the rattles and squeaks are gone.

HPIM4378.jpg

HPIM4379.jpg

HPIM4380.jpg

Here's some of what was removed:
HPIM4381.jpg

The aftermarket keyless entry:
HPIM4382.jpg

Amps and associated wiring:
HPIM4384.jpg

HPIM4385.jpg

This sucker is HEAVY!
HPIM4386.jpg

Finally, a picture JUST FOR MIDLIFE - don't yoou just LOVE P.O. wiring jobs?
HPIM4383.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

At least your PO didn't use wire nuts! I can't count how many times I've seen those bastards.

wow that was a crappy install. I would never let crap like that leave my bay if I was installing. Espically I would suspect that the missing clips and screws came from the system and alarm install. At least you have some decent equipment

Door panels have been R&R'd. I confirmed a seized door lock actuator as being the problem with the driver's door lock. Unhooked it so I can at least lock the doors "the old fashioned way" until I get another actuator. :eek Reworked the map pockets at the bottom of the doors so they no longer sag into the weatherstrip, and replaced a couple fuses, so everything electrical now works! :good About 1/2 of the door panel clips were missing - replacing them really tightened the panels up.

Next was removing window tint. That job SUCKS! :nk For future reference, I ended up using the aerosol version of Stoner's Invisible Glass (the non-aerosol version did NOT work nearly as well). Soak down the window/tint, and leave it for 10 minutes. Wipe that off, then soak it again and peel the tint. About 90% of the adhesive comes off cleanly. I did the double band at the top of the windshield and all 4 side windows. All that's left is the rear window - trying to do it without damaging the electric defrost grid... :eek

Planning to go tonight and get a temp tag, so I can sort out a drive-ability issue before getting the state inspection done... :craz

HPIM4368.jpg

HPIM4336.jpg

That pocket "sag" is very common. What did you do to fix it? I ended up taking up the slack in the elastics with zip ties or something... I know... PO crap... but they look good :beat

I had to replace a couple of those actuators too... mine looked like they got wet and corroded

Yep, I've seen a bunch of saggers. We just shortened & re-sewed the elastic. When this car gets a full resto, I'm sure I'll end up replacing the full pockets, as the vinyl is damaged... But for now, I'm just working on getting the car looking & working decent. Drive it for 3-4 years, then a full resto...

I've seen the actuators fail 2 different way - sometimes they're still movable, but this one sized up completely - the lock button / key neither one would lock the door. Worst part was cutting up my wrists getting the old one out!

Wow...I've never seen any pics of an early Saleen in the wild; I'm really digging the car! Looks like it's cleaning up nicely too.

BTW: What are you doing with the stereo stuff? I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Thanks! I've been pretty happy with the cleanup. I'm trying NOT to spend much $$$ on it yet, but want to make it a nice driver. I'll spend the next few years stocking up on resto parts... :good

From 90-93, Saleen built less than 500 cars. The 87 & 88's were somewhat higher production, but there's still far fewer Foxbody Saleens than 65-70 Shelbys. I'm just hoping the value does the same as they age!!! :naug

Amps & sub went to the son-in-law...

You had to get a Grabber Orange Saleen, didn't you? Grrr....

There must be something in the Kansas water and GO.

"Midlife" said:
You had to get a Grabber Orange Saleen, didn't you? Grrr....

There must be something in the Kansas water and GO.

Thankfully it's the water from the EASTERN part of the State.

Time has been a little limited lately, but some progress...

The big news is that the car is running MUCH better. Two major issues - You don't run an open breather on an EFI car - it's a huge vacuum leak, as unmetered air enters the throttle body thru the vent tube... Also, the PO removed the smog pump and thermactor valves. He took one of the vacuum lines and "plugged" it by pushing it onto a valvecover stud. The OTHER line receives a vacuum signal from the TAD/TAB solenoids - he hooked it up to direct manifold vacuum :rtard which created another vacuum leak and really confused the EGR, as it ended up receiving a full vacuum signal from the backside... (In ENGLISH, he switched vacuum lines and %^$(*^ things up)

I also bought a code reader instead of borrowing my neighbor's all the time. Down to one "minor" code, which I hope to resolve this weekend.

The rearend vent hose was laying open - easy fix. The rear brakeline/junction block were not connected to the rear housing and banged against the underbody at every bump... Also painted all the brake calipers with Cast Blast Engine paint - nice grey color now instead of rust...

Finally removed the rear window tint. There were 2 layers of film on the back window. I think I managed to do it without screwing up the defroster grid lines. Carburetor cleaner :eek and Stoners Invisible Glass with a few bugscrubber sponges were the trick combo. I'll get pics this weekend, but the car looks SO much better with the too-dark tint now gone...

How dark was it? Well, in this picture, the sun is shining in thru the windshield and the driver's window was down too.... :headac
HPIM4336.jpg

Next step is to get the state VIN inspection done, and pay $$$ for sales tax and license. After that, a different exhaust is moving up the priority list fast. I'm too old for dumped Flowmasters... :puke

What did you end up with for a code reader?

I'm too old for dumped Flowmasters...
I have flows, not dumped tho... pretty frickin loud!
Picked up a pair of nearly new Dynomax Ultra Flows at a swap a couple weeks ago. Just need some tailpipes for them

I picked up an Equus 3145 with the 6' extension cable for ~$45. Reads 81-95 Ford with OBD-1. That's all I needed...

Neighbor has a $600 Actron reader that does everything if I need something more deluxe. I just hate borrowing things - although I loan out much more than I borrow...

Magnaflow exhaust install party in my garage on Saturday - also have the upgraded 4ga alternator wiring and door lock actuator to install. It's taking shape!!!

Finally resolved the code 21... Reworked the 10 pin connectors and opened up the kick panel to probe the wiring. When I did that, I found a Superchip in place, which I removed. One of those 2 things eliminated the engine temp code...
HPIM4399.jpg

However, I started getting codes 42 & 92 - rich in both banks. The car was also still developing a miss/skip/cutout when hot - the warmer it got, the worse the miss. Ignition cutting out would certainly richen up the mixture, wouldn't it? I found / explored several different possibilities:
1) The TFI module was only attached with one screw. 2nd (front) screw is broken off flush with the housing, leaving a 1/8" gap. I "redneck engineered" a small vice-grip to clamp it back to the housing tightly for the moment. (picture below) That MIGHT possibly explain the heat-related aspect of the problem... (This car is FULL of surprises). I'll locate a spare screw, and see what I can do about getting the broken one out...
2) Entire distributor was loose - easily turned... Pulled the spout, set timing at 10* and tightened the clamp - no movement now.
3) Reluctor wheel inside the distributor has noticable wear/rubbing on the insides of the "teeth". I was able to move the sensor just a tiny bit, so the wheel no longer rubs. I also blew out all the metal shavings from inside the dizzy. Shaft has noticable sideplay - not good, but easily solved by a rebuild or replacement.
So, after doing these things, I had to take the car for the DMV inspection - it ran FLAWLESS for the entire 45+ minute drive!!! I plan to pull codes again this weekend, just to see if anything is lurking, but it sure sounds, runs, and feels GREAT!!!
HPIM4400.jpg

Finally, here's a few pictures of the car with the window tint all gone!!!
For comparison, here's the before:
HPIM4336.jpg

And the after shots:
HPIM4406.jpg

HPIM4405.jpg

HPIM4409.jpg

HPIM4412.jpg

HPIM4413.jpg

HPIM4410.jpg

And, more of the cleaned up interior:
HPIM4417.jpg

HPIM4415.jpg

HPIM4416.jpg

HPIM4418.jpg

Holy mackerel, is that the same car???

Awesome job Bob.

I can't WAIT to get the exhaust on the car! The tint changed the looks - having a real exhaust system will really change the sound and driving experience!!!

It's really coming along nicely. I've never seen a car with so many crazy "symptoms" - wiring issues, vacuum issues, and worn-out distributor, broken bolts - all added together made for a car that would barely even run.

One of the Saleen club guys even saw this same post on their forum and has offered me a deal on a 24k mile stock dizzy removed from his 90 Saleen. That will help, for sure!

Sounds like you'll be ready for the track next May.

Back