• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 Saleen #039 - It's A-L-I-V-E (again)!!!

Re: Presenting: 1991 Saleen #039

Looks MUCH better without the tint :good

And it's looking like I may be able to grace you with my presence (and the 'stang) Saturday morning for a bit. I need to get some Stabil into the fuel system anyway. And I need to bring Skip's steering wheel puller back as well.

TXT me your address sometime please Bob so I can refresh myself on how to get there. Thanks.

Cool!!! We'll be happy to see you!!!

Text on the way....

Magnaflow exhaust is ON, and sounds great! Thanks Jeremy, Skip & Eric!!! Pics to follow.......

As is typical for "bolt-ons", it wasn't... required some minor modifications to both sides, but lined up really nice once we were done trimming. Still have to torque the clamps really good, and tweak the tip alignment, but that won't be a big deal. Sounds NEARLY stock at idle, but roars nicely at WOT.

I probably enjoyed lunch more than the wrenching. Nice to hang out with you guys - hopefully we can get something scheduled with Mark again soon.

Final note: never kick the blocks out from behind the tires when you're at the top of the driveway and aren't certain that the car is back in gear with the brake set.... NEAR disaster, averted... :eek (I run fast) :nk

Final note: never kick the blocks out from behind the tires when you're at the top of the driveway and aren't certain that the car is back in gear with the brake set.... NEAR disaster, averted... WTH...? (I run fast) Kick to da nuts
I thought I heard the ground shake...now I know why!

"Magnaflow exhaust is ON, and sounds great! Thanks Jeremy, Skip & Eric!!!"

You are welcome Bob but all I was there for was technical guidance. Somebody has to be the one to say how much to cut off.

Jeremy did all of the wrenching.

You did not waste any time getting the other side on.

It is one cool car. Plenty of little things to do to keep you occupied this winter.

The wife and I had to take the dog for an hour walk to try to digest lunch.

Keep on wrenchen on.

Later.

Skip

Sorry I missed out on the fun. I waited for someone to show up and help with the glow plugs & GPR swap on the F250, but it never happened. Had to change them by myself.

That was a nasty job. I don't see how they could have made it MORE difficult :eek:mg

Do you still have the stock mid pipe? (cats). I have flows with a Bassani catted X pipe... it's pretty loud in that configuration but if I put the stock cats back in at least I can pass MA Vehicle inspection...

Picked up a set of Dynomax Ultra Flows at a swap... need some tailpipes to give them a listen first though

My pleasure Bob! Just wish I could have helped do the second side and got to have HEARD it. But MegaMind was farkin hilarious!

And it was good to see everyone again. Skip made me feel bad by saying how long it had beenthough... :beat

"midpack" said:
Do you still have the stock mid pipe? (cats). I have flows with a Bassani catted X pipe... it's pretty loud in that configuration but if I put the stock cats back in at least I can pass MA Vehicle inspection...

Picked up a set of Dynomax Ultra Flows at a swap... need some tailpipes to give them a listen first though

Car currently has a cobbled together off-road H-pipe. I'll probably (need to ) address that in the future, but it ain't broke yet...

Yes, it took Eric & I 45 minutes start to finish on the 2nd one. Amazing how much faster things go when you made all the mistakes on the first one! :craz I actually read the directions, and it's exactly the way we TRIED to do the 1st side. NWIH that would ever work...

Sorry Mark, I'm not "diesel certified"!!! :lol Glow plugs does NOT even sound like fun. :nk

Not much to report this week. Tweaked the exhaust tip alignment a bit and got the new (to me) distributor installed. Re-bent the radiator brackets to where they actually clamp the tanks on this bigger radiator. They had been twisted to the side so they clamped the core... Also removed the front wheels to get new valvestems installed tomorrow. Old stems are badly dry-rotted.

The old dizzy was worse than expected when removed. The upper end of the shaft had ~1/8" sideplay, but the bottom end has a good 1/4" of sideplay. I was concerned about a timing chain issue when I watched timing moving around 5* (with spout out). With the new dizzy, the mark stays rock solid!!!

I did win an auction this week for a shifter knob that I plan to modify to replicate an original, so that project will be getting off the ground soon. (Correct knobs run $200 - I'll 95% duplicate one for $40)

Here's a few pics.

The top was moving so much that the inside of the shutter wheel was rubbing the sensor:
HPIM4439.jpg

Here's 2 pics of the dizzy from the bottom side - look how much the shaft moves side-to-side:
HPIM4437.jpg

HPIM4438.jpg

Before shot of the radiator brackets:
HPIM4404.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That is some serious slop in that dizzy.

And where is the 'after' shot of the radiator bracket?

After shot of the bracket... Note: my main concern now is getting the car road-worthy, so I didn't worry about making the bracket pretty - that will happen down the road, someday.
HPIM4441.jpg

Here's few of the exhaust tips. I just wanted them to stick out enough to read the lettering, not trip over... :shrug
HPIM4444.jpg

HPIM4445.jpg

HPIM4446.jpg

And, the "new to me" distributor. That old one was B A D!!!
HPIM4442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't need to lower it any more than Saleen did - barely makes the driveway as it is!

Picked up a few new items for it this week:
Currently on a UPS truck: New windshield banner (to replace the incorrect one that was on there), championship wreath decal for rear window, new distributor boot/cover, and a Saleen emblem for the intake (to replace the Cobra one that's on there now).

From Ebay:
Correct leather shift knob (wrong emblem, so I bought it for $8 instead of $150 :yah)
knob.jpg

Oh, look at this, the correct emblem, for $10... :roll
medallion.jpg

And finally, the correct Pioneer EQ-3000 equalizer for cars with the optional Pioneer CD player...
Let's just say getting on Ebay REAL early in the morning has it's advantages... :pbj
eq3000.jpg

"silverblueBP" said:
Rick's coming up to KC??

Jeremy said that Rick will be up on Thursday/Friday next week.

I believe that Jeremy wanted to try to get together Friday evening for dinner at one of the local places.

I will be getting home Friday afternoon from Oklahoma and the wife and I had planned on going to dinner if it happens.

You are more than welcome to come up and stay with us Friday night if you want.

Actually he'll be here Fri/Sat.

I have another tattoo appointment Friday evening, so it will have to be saturday for me to do anything. Rick is wanting to see the Rat and I have it unratted right now. That cab is off of it and everything. Ugh. Bad timing on my part!

Back