• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 is coming out.

You may have a vacuum leak. Have you checked around the base of the carb and the manifold? The distributor could be the problem as well, I recently was working on a Maverick that I had your same problem. The mechanical advance was not working right. I could get it to run at 1000 rpm fairly well, but could not get it to run at a lower rpm. I thought it needed carb tuning, ended up being the distributor.

Re: Re: 302 is coming out.

"kb3" said:
You may have a vacuum leak. Have you checked around the base of the carb and the manifold? The distributor could be the problem as well, I recently was working on a Maverick that I had your same problem. The mechanical advance was not working right. I could get it to run at 1000 rpm fairly well, but could not get it to run at a lower rpm. I thought it needed carb tuning, ended up being the distributor.

Good thinking. I'll check both.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

1 more stupid question from Iowa!

Would a slight exhaust leak (between header and head) cause trouble with the tuning of the carb?

I noticed that both sides have a slight leak, so I went and got thicker gaskets this AM........

Well regardless of the hearer leaks ( i took care of them with some Percy's gaskets), I did determine that I do have a vacuum leak at the base of the carb: one of the studs is stripped, or rather the intake is stripped. I think I can get around this by using all thread on that one corner which gets me deeper into the intake and into clean threads.

Yep, with a leak you'll be lean and never get it tuned. All thread might work, or you may have to helicoil.

Back