• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

$4.25 for regular gas - WTF!

I remember paying around $ .20 a gallon back in high school but then I was working a part time job at $1.25 an hour and when I finally got a $ .05 raise it was cause for celebration.

The least amount that I can remember from when I was a kid was 29 and 9 tenths during the GAS WAR!! era. When I started driving in '74 it was like 49 and 9 tenths. My allowance was like 5 bucks and I would put it all in the tank and it would last me all week.

fd

I can remember the gas wars too. The lowest price I recall was about .20 cents a gallon. I also remember in HS when I had a '68 Olds Cutlass. I swore if gas ever got over $1.00 a gal. I'd sell the car and get a horse. Didn't realize at the time that "horse" would be a Mustang! LOL

BTW, it seems living near refineries has no impact on paying lower prices (that would make too much sense!). I lived near refineries in both Texas and Louisiana. Whenever we'd drive home to SC we'd always end up paying lower prices here! Makes no sense!

If ya really wanna hit the WTF button, if you lived through the gas "shortage" in the mid '70s a strange thing happened here. We have large shipping terminals and gas storage facilities. Even though there was an alleged "shortage"and gas had to be rationed, full tankers were anchored because they had no place to unload. All of the storage tanks were full to capacity!

"DB65" said:
I remember paying around $ .20 a gallon back in high school but then I was working a part time job at $1.25 an hour and when I finally got a $ .05 raise it was cause for celebration.

I remember .15 cents with discount but wages was a big $.75 hour. use to fill the 66 in my signature picture with 19.9 cents a gal in Fresno in the late 60's at ARCO.

"Ponyman66" said:
If ya really wanna hit the WTF button, if you lived through the gas "shortage" in the mid '70s a strange thing happened here. We have large shipping terminals and gas storage facilities. Even though there was an alleged "shortage"and gas had to be rationed, full tankers were anchored because they had no place to unload. All of the storage tanks were full to capacity!

Would you think government control may have been a factor? :roll :soapboxrant

"AzPete" said:
Who remembers "gas wars" from back in them olden days? I remember about $.09-$.12 per gallon as the lowest when gas was around $.29-$.25 a gal.

Back in 72, It hit 13.6 cents per gal during one of the gas wars here in Dallas. But it normally was 25 cents making a tank $4 to fill up.

This morning I saw some in the 4.40's, but the prices seemed to increase as the day went on. Heard news reports of "mom and pop" gas stations running out along with some Costco stations. I think that I saw one of those "mom and pop" stations, instead of hanging a sign saying "Out of Gas" they simply set their prices to 5.51 and up. :wtf

fd

Having family that owned and worked at gas stations, I think the price for the load in the ground should stay at what it was when it was delivered. Each load should have a price on it, not day by day.

"Opentracker" said:
Having family that owned and worked at gas stations, I think the price for the load in the ground should stay at what it was when it was delivered. Each load should have a price on it, not day by day.
+1 but around here, the price one pump commonly changes twice a day.

When I was a kid, well, younger than I an now, my uncle owned a gas station. He would buy gas " on sale " that was a bit older and made a killing on it. He would fill up the tanks in the ground as full as they would go, even having family come by and get gas first so he could put more of the cheap stuff in the underground tank and then sell it for full price to the public. He was a sly dog. I bet that kind of thing doesn't happen anymore with all of the honest oil and gas suppliers we have now.

Our gas here, which has always been at the top, has been fairly stable around $3.90 or so for 87. What the hell is the "reason" for what is happening in Cali?

$4.859 per gallon here from rip off Chevron. Some Costco's are closing their gas stations due to short supply.

If the state approves the winter blend early, we might be back down to $4.00 per gallon by Halloween.

Why aren't we building more refineries? That's the choke point. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?????!!!!!

"opentrackerSteve" said:
$4.859 per gallon here from rip off Chevron. Some Costco's are closing their gas stations due to short supply.

If the state approves the winter blend early, we might be back down to $4.00 per gallon by Halloween.

Why aren't we building more refineries? That's the choke point. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?????!!!!!
The whole seasonal blend crap is a joke. We have the same crap here.

Why no refineries/increased drilling? We can all help take a step in the right direction on this front in about 30 days.

uda3u9at.jpg

I got had this morning. Ouch!!!!!
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the hurricane made landfall the price went up 0.20 cents overnight. Today, the station up the street is creeping down from the high of $3.47 then to $3.37 today. Two weeks+ have elapsed.

Back