• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Fastback Build--Reassembly

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 4/21/10

Ryan,

My '66 has the cheap repro fenders on it and the initial bucket fitment looked very similar to yours. Both of my buckets had the typical crack's. After playing around with the buckets for an eternity I got them to fit better, but it still wasn't very good. After seeing the bucket repair thread I decided to re-visit the fitment issue and installed a couple screws (one on each bucket) to close up the gap created by the crack. The fitment got a LOT better. It's still not perfect, but it's at the point where it's acceptable.

I feel that if I wallowed out a couple of the bucket's alignment pin "holes" on the front of the fender the fitment would be even better, but I'm happy enough with the fitment to not mess with it anymore.

We spent a bit of time on mine. With Original fenders and original buckets(cracked) the fit was still poor. We did bore out the alignment holes for the best fit. We also cut the fenders to close where there was gaps the welded the cuts back up. Take your time in this area. To me it makes or breaks a nice paint job.

Update 4/22/10

Using the vertical screw idea should make a huge improvement. Here is me replicating it using my finger. The fit is 100+% better.

53_22_04_10_8_25_14_2.JPG

Since I R&R'd the metal dash, I figured I better check the fit of the dash pad, gauges, and glove box door. Fortunately for me, they all fit well.

53_22_04_10_8_25_11_0.JPG

I stuck the grille in too, just so it would at least look like a Mustang. I'll probably replace the grille, as it's pretty beat up.

53_22_04_10_8_25_13_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 4/22/10

Boy it sure is nice to see you working hard on the pony Ryan.

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 4/22/10

"beach pony" said:
Boy it sure is nice to see you working hard on the pony Ryan.

Thanks Ron, after 5.5 years, it's about time, lol.

Update 4/23/10

Okay, so the vertical screw idea worked wonderfully. I have the headlight door flush with the fender, and am very pleased with that.

53_23_04_10_6_04_16_0.JPG

53_23_04_10_6_04_17_1.JPG

However, then I decided to put the hood on to make sure everything lined up, and WTF is this???? I'm at a total loss here. With the headlight door flush with the fender on the side and top, there is no way I can adjust it to fit the hood line, or even remotely close. I'm going to try to find some other headlight doors to try, but again, WTF???

53_23_04_10_6_04_18_2.JPG

53_23_04_10_6_04_19_3.JPG

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 4/23/10

Okay, I couldn't stand it, so I had to go back out to the garage. The passenger side headlight door is bent, which is actually a relief. I went on to the driver side which wasn't as bad, and with a little more massaging I got it close. However, it seems like I'll need to pull my hood forward or fender back as the front is now off. It never ends!

53_23_04_10_8_16_46_1.JPG

53_23_04_10_8_16_45_0.JPG

Keep plugging away. Its starting to come together nicely. Its amazing how many combinations of adjustments need to be made to get everything fitting just right.

I was able to get another pair of headlight doors from a fellow Mustanger, and I have the fit much better. The passenger side is dang close to perfect. The driver side is close, but will need a bit of tweaking. Fortunately, I kinda know the direction to go, as I've been working on this issue for what seems like eternity. I did have to widen the cowl to hood gap slightly to align the hood to the headlight doors, but it is still plenty acceptable. Pics, of course:

53_02_05_10_6_42_19_3.JPG

53_02_05_10_6_42_17_2.JPG

53_02_05_10_6_42_16_1.JPG

53_02_05_10_6_42_15_0.JPG

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 5/2/10

:10 Looks great. worth the time and effort you put it!!

Nicely done. It sure feels good when it starts coming together. Keep in jumpin' over those restoration hurdles!

That looks really good Ryan!

You'll be really glad that you did a pre-paint assembly of the car. Imagine getting your original ill-fitting headlight doors back from the painter?

Work out all of the bugs now and then after paint it will be a breeze to assemble everything.

Dave he has to assemble it first. Maaco won't paint a car that's disassembled

;)

Looking really good, Ryan!!!

"daveSanborn" said:
You'll be really glad that you did a pre-paint assembly of the car. Imagine getting your original ill-fitting headlight doors back from the painter?

Work out all of the bugs now and then after paint it will be a breeze to assemble everything.
more good advise from Dave, I completely assembled my car before paint and even drove it. A lot more work but I'm glad I did cuz assembly went real fast with no surprises.

"daveSanborn" said:

Absolutely! With all the horrible fit issues I've had so far, I would of had to pay for two paint jobs if I didn't pre-assemble it first. Thanks for the compliments guys, I plan to start looking for a painter soon. I've just about abandoned the idea of DIY painting.

Come on Dude, a Monkey could paint a car, you've done all the hard prep work!

"silverblueBP" said:
Come on Dude, a Monkey could paint a car, you've done all the hard prep work!

Agreed, and it wouldn't be my first rodeo. However, I just don't have the facilities to do it properly. I really realized this last week spraying primer. With the amount of time and money invested in it, I really want it to have a nice finish.

Save the money and spray can it rat rod black. Then, spray can some clearcoats. Wolla! Poor man's paint job.

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 7/11/2010

July 11, 2010 Update

While shopping for places to paint my '65, I found a really great place. Unfortunately they wanted double my budget to finish the car. However, the bodyman/painter there called me and agreed to work at my house on the weekends for half the price his shop wanted. Once the car is ready for paint, he will paint it at his shop, but all other work takes place in my garage. He has now worked for two Saturdays in a row (9-5) and I'm more than pleased with his work and progress. He finished the hood and roof, the roof being the biggest PITA. I work every weekend, so it's fun to come home and see what he has done. Couple pics attached:

Re: '65 Fastback Build--Update 7/11/10

Sounds like a wise move to me. It's great that one of the shop guys is coming to your house; it would be fun to see the progress each time you return home from working all weekend.

What's the time estimate for getting the car to the point it'll go to the shop for final primer & paint?

Back