• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Fastback project? Am I crazy?

Again, I suggested a mod because the work has already been done to make room for it. It would also give you great reliability and mileage. If you wanted power/torque out of it, it can bolt on a supercharger and it would make your 67 with the BB look silly. Something to be said for a car that could run a 11 sec quarter (or better) and then drive coast to coast with the air on while you carry on a conversation with your passenger at normal speaking volume. That's what "Pro-Touring" is all about.

Think Coleman's latest project car.

"Horseplay" said:
Better but not very unique. Save your pennies and put Shawn's new underpinnings on that bad boy. Make it a real driver for all those long hauls in your future. It's screaming for a mod motor installation. Imagine 20+ MPG and air on the next Power Tour! Just keep the external classic looks and you can't go wrong.

Seriously, you can pick up a 4.6/trans combo cheap.

I would agree to the Pro Touring method....but maybe not the mod motor. They take a bit more to figure out compared to the old 5.0s with the SEFI injection system. The newer suspension (whatever the brand) makes an amazing driving/riding/handling car and the fuel injected/air conditioned/ power steering/ power brakes just makes it that much more enjoyable to spend time in.

He's got a 5.0 and some trick flow 170 heads. With the right cam, this will be a nice thumper. He's already got a t5 :bowdown so I say stay the course. I can see a nice bruiser coming from this combo. I'd love to have a 4.6 4v under my hood, but that is an expensive endeavor. I'm none too impressed with the 2v 4.6 myself. 280ish horse just doesn't scream muscle to me :roll Now a 3v 4.6 would be awesome also, but again major coinage.

Oh, white with blue stripes :thu

Bill

You can get a reliable 400+ HP out of a 4.6 2v all day long for not too much $. And it will behave nicely. You can't say the same about a SBF.

I didn't realize Craig had this combo already. On the bright side, you'll have plenty of room for plug changes!

"Horseplay" said:
You WILL NOT ruin that car by taking J's direction. If you want to build a hot wheels car you have the coupe or Falcon to play with...but I wouldn't screw either of those up either.

Wow, ass.... :shrug

I here ya Terry. The 2v 4.6 has to have a power adder, but it would power then and be modern. If I was starting with nothing I would consider it. You are right, though, I drive these things and this one will be no exception. I plant to have AC and other luxuries the 67 doesn't have. It will be be easier and relatively cheap to add stuff like PS and AC to the 5.0 rather than the 429 in the 67. I suppose I could put the 429 in the 65 and make the 67 the pro-touring car but I think the 67 is what it is and I hate to change it now. The 65 FB will be a fun project and first priority will be to actually weld it togethr. Right now it is pretty much just screwed and clamped together

J
The Falcon is ready to deliver, if you have some time!
$T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwY4BQiDm-o+4!~~60_3.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
Wow, ass.... :shrug
Think I'm too opinionated? :roll

My deal here is that I think this one is in too good of shape to go that route. There are plenty of cars out there in far worse shape that need the whole bottom metal replaced that would make much better candidates for such a goal.

"Horseplay" said:
Think I'm too opinionated? :roll

My deal here is that I think this one is in too good of shape to go that route. There are plenty of cars out there in far worse shape that need the whole bottom metal replaced that would make much better candidates for such a goal.
it's funny you should say that because we started out with this:

In fact, we had made a deal where I was going to buy the MII suspension from him and he started accumulating the shock towers and stuff to go original. I will keep the MII but here is a pic where we started fitting the stock stuff

To be honest since we basically only used the roof and rockers and didn't have a jig, I am seriously considering swapping the roof to the 65 coupe...

"tarafied1" said:
To be honest since we basically only used the roof and rockers and didn't have a jig, I am seriously considering swapping the roof to the 65 coupe...

:confu That seems like a major undertaking. You don't think the car is straight?

Bill

"tarafied1" said:
okay, how about a 65 Shelby R clone?

Only if you do it right and not just make it LOOK like an R model! and...you'd have to track that baby on a road course.

Back