• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Fastback project? Am I crazy?

well then I will stick with it the way it is. And Mark, YES it will be track worthy. Although I don't have a track close by. They do have Good guys events in Nashville and some track type events on the Power tour.

If you're that concerned about the frame being true, you could probably have a body shop check it on a frame machine... but i don't think it's nessecary if you're taking the right measurements and a comparing them to a frame chart.

I build my frame with a laser level, plumb-bob and tape measure while the body was sitting on jackstands. I built all sort of adustability into my suspension to account for any mistakes and haven't really had to deviate. Just be sensible with how you handle it and double / triple check measurements before welding.

that's one reason the 65 coupe is sitting right next to it. We wanted to be able to check against a real car as well as the measurements in the shop manual.

what about something like this?
0712phr_08_z+1965_mustang_fastback+front_left_view.jpg

or this?
01-1965-mustang-silver-fox-585x388.jpg

Now you're talkin'!

I've never been a fan of the chin spoiler on the early models. I've only ever seen the one as pictured and it protrudes a bit much for my taste. The cowl hood is probably more by necessity than design. Not much hood clearance...at all. Drop style engine mounts are usually a must have and even then a bit of breathing room offered by a raised hood is helpful.

That silver one is very close to the look I am after with mine, although I went for it and choose to go black for color.

Be careful measuring the coupe, the factory wasn't too close when they built them. If your diagonals are right (looking down) and the fenders line up good then you are there. On the engines, I love the Modular and would take one over a push rod engine any day. I have a 32 valve 4.6 aluminum block on the stand and it weighs in at 407lbs fully dressed. It's probably one of the lightest 8 cylinder engines of the Ford lineup. On the suspensions, I would just as soon have a correctly built stock type suspension. I have built and drove the M2's and they are OK, but I would have to question the bang for the buck is worth it. Course if you need the room for a Mod, then you may have no choice. One thing to remember, the Mods respond very nice to boost, and 500 or 600HP is pretty easy to achieve with no over heat or idle problems. On the photos, I like the Burgundy with the White stripes, that is provided you ditch the cowl hood and shovel spoiler. That's my 2 cents.

It's exciting to think about all the possibilities with this car isn't it? I've had 67-68's for so long I had forgotten just how much fun the little earlier cars are to drive until I recently picked up a 66 289 4 speed coupe. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go with it.

"tarafied1" said:
what about something like this?
0712phr_08_z+1965_mustang_fastback+front_left_view.jpg

This.
"R" valance without the splitter, different hood.

For the love of all things Ford, please don't put cowl hoods on Fords, any of them. They don't belong there...ever.
If one needs induction clearance, there are so many other choices available that don't make our beloved cars look like a street racer Camaro.

Re: Re: 65 Fastback project? Am I crazy?

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Be careful measuring the coupe, the factory wasn't too close when they built them. If your diagonals are right (looking down) and the fenders line up good then you are there. On the engines, I love the Modular and would take one over a push rod engine any day. I have a 32 valve 4.6 aluminum block on the stand and it weighs in at 407lbs fully dressed. It's probably one of the lightest 8 cylinder engines of the Ford lineup. On the suspensions, I would just as soon have a correctly built stock type suspension. I have built and drove the M2's and they are OK, but I would have to question the bang for the buck is worth it. Course if you need the room for a Mod, then you may have no choice. One thing to remember, the Mods respond very nice to boost, and 500 or 600HP is pretty easy to achieve with no over heat or idle problems. On the photos, I like the Burgundy with the White stripes, that is provided you ditch the cowl hood and shovel spoiler. That's my 2 cents.

I'll +1 his 2 cents.

Are you crazy ? probably yes ( we all know )
Should you do it ? why not , as long as the misses goes along with this , you have world peace at home and time to work on this .
Otherwise you and your cars don't have a roof at all !!!!

Can you afford it ?? I don't care ...You are a big boy !!!

:stu :stu :stu

I appreciate the advice and opinions. I too do not care for the cowl hood and the chin spoiler is a bit too much. I do like the stance and the color. That silver color looks pretty sweet too.
I have owned lots of 67/68's myself. In fact these two 65's are the first early cars I have owned. My dad has had a 66 coupe as long as I can remember.
My wife and I have been talking about getting an 05 or newer since I saw the concept at the auto show in 04. We were thinking this might be the year (2013). What she really wants is a "comfortable" car. AC would be nice but she is a good sport and puts up with the rude and crude 67 pretty well.
As for what I can afford, well it will be a "project" but I can put the funds we have set aside for a newer Stang. My wife likes the 65/66 Fastback and knows I prefer the older cars. (I would like a new one too...). I will build this on a budget of about 30K but we all know how that goes. I'll try to use what I have. I could could either way on the front suspension. The car includes the MII and stock stuff. He also has sub-frame connectors, Granada spindles, and rear disc brake kit. He has a bunch of stuff for this car.
It will be fun to build and I am open ti all your input

Keep it clean and mean .
Go for the classic look but with the hidden mods.
just my 2 eurocent

oeps too late ... see above :thu :thu :thu

Back