• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Coupe Daily Driver - Keeping it running and trying to impove it

Re: 68 Coupe Daily Driver - New Topic - The Wedding List

Parts are starting to come in for the power disk brake upgrade and the AC install.

Did 2 more easy things on the list. Put the pinch weld on the roof, cleaned the trunk and installed the new mat.

Before
Wed03.jpg

after
Wed04.jpg

Hopefully I can get a lot of things off the list this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

a couple more things off the list.

The brake lights were crooked. The screws that held the LED circuit board to the scoket housing were looses. Added loctite and now back together and level.

Before:
Wed05.jpg

After:
Wed06.jpg

Needed to redo the rear splash shield on the driver side. I never redid this from my wreck repair.
Before:
Wed07.jpg

After:
Wed08.jpg

Left one still looks crooked...... :lol :lol :lol :lol

"AzPete" said:
Left one still looks crooked...... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oops! Had to fix that last night. Finished my rear interior quarter lights also. Last year I removed the rear quarter window regulators and bolted the windows in an upright position.
Wed09.jpg

Punched a couple holes in the slider piece and used a "J" clip, bolt and 'D" Washer to secure the Window.
Wed10.jpg

Had to enlarge the hole the regulator had gone through in the panel and the body. Ran a taillight harness from a fastback and hooked up the new quarter lights. I am using LED bulbs in the light fixtures.
Wed11.jpg

Need to recover the quarter panel. I have too many colors of blue. I will fix that later. Tonight I hope to get the trunk light installed.

Where did you acquire the LED bulbs? I'd like to upgrade mine...

"Fast68back" said:
Where did you acquire the LED bulbs? I'd like to upgrade mine...

Rick, They are 1156 LEds from Mustang Project.
Wed12.jpg

I also got the trunk light installed last night. I had to run a new fuel sending unit harness with the courtesy group to get the wires I needed.
Wed13.jpg

My youngest son, Steven, is coming over tonight and we are adding some LEDs to his rice burner (Scion) tonight.

Made some grill covers from scrap at work. At least there was some benefit of having to work this weekend.

Wed14.jpg

Good news - An well on my way and on schedule with the list.

Bad news- I felt something pop in my left knee last week when I was installing a door panel. The pain was intense. I can walk fine but squatting is out of the question. Getting up and down from a sitting position is painful. The Dr thinks I tore up some cartilage. I had a MRI on Friday and have my followup Monday morning.

I think it is awesome how many guys here have ideas for custom stuff and make it happen, and make it look good too.

Nice work!

I am a third of the way through the list. Things have slowed down because of my knee. Surgery will be 7/16 so I will try to get a lot done this weekend if the knee hold out.

I cleaned up the back seat from my 67 parts car and put it in just because it looks better than no seat.
Wed16.jpg

I need to finish gluing the passenger door weather strip, hook up the tach and fix the cluster turn signal lights this weekend. Hopefully I can also figure out why the temp gauge and rear window defogger does not work.

The list:
Tasks 34 % Done
1 Align Passenger Door Glass
2 Align Rear Tail Lights 5-Jun
3 Build / Install Passenger Seat Slider Extension
4 Chrome / install Front Bumper
5 Chrome / install Rear Bumper
6 Fix / Install Heater
7 Fix Clock 30-Jun
8 Fix Cluster Turn Signal Light
9 Fix Interior Light Short 21-Jun
10 Fix Overhead Console 8-Jun
11 Fix Rear Window Defogger
12 Fix Temp. Gauge
13 Get / Install Ac
14 Get / Install Door Panels 1-Jul
15 Get / Install Grill Cover 19-Jun
16 Get / Install LED Replacements for Trunk 23-Jun
17 Get / Install LED Replacements for Overhead Console
18 Get / Install New Trunk Mat 2-Jun
19 Get / Install Power Brakes
20 Get / Install Rear Seat 3-Jul
21 Get / Install Tilt
22 Get / Install Transmission Cooler
23 Give Marshall a Driver Lesson in Mustang
24 Install Door Strikers 29-May
25 Install Door Window Handles 3-Jul
26 Install Passenger Door Weather Strip.
27 Install Pillar Panel 7-Jun
28 Install Quarter Panel Lights 14-Jun
29 Install Roof Pinch Weld 3-Jun
30 Install Tachometer
31 Install Trunk Light 8-Jun
32 Make / Install Radio Plate
33 Polish / Install Aluminum Radiator
34 Refurbish / Install Splash Shields 6-Jun
Week Before Wedding
35 Check brake fluid, Water level
36 Check oil
37 Check Tire Pressure
38 Check Transmission Oil Level
39 Check Wiper Fluid Level
40 Clean Engine Bay
41 Clean interior
42 Clean Trunk
43 Clean Windows
44 Fill up Tank with Gas
45 Give Marshall a Set of Keys 4-Jul
46 Lube
47 Polish
48 Replace Wiper Blades
49 Wash
50 Wax

Since you're concentrating on a wedding drive (big dress/ tux), in TX, in Sept. I'd concentrate on these:
13 Get / Install Ac
12 Fix Temp. Gauge
22 Get / Install Transmission Cooler
26 Install Passenger Door Weather Strip.
33 Polish / Install Aluminum Radiator
1 Align Passenger Door Glass

This would be a nice addition to help with the wedding dress getting in, may give more room, make sure there are not sharp edges or corners bent up on your door sill plates that may catch the dress and that there is no grease on the door jamb/striker:
3 Build / Install Passenger Seat Slider Extension

Apperance for pics:
4 Chrome / install Front Bumper
5 Chrome / install Rear Bumper

This wouldn't be on my list if you're putting in aftermarket A/C, if it's factory I guess you need it to install the factory A/C and have a blower
6 Fix / Install Heater

Sounds like fun, hope I have my car done by the time my daughter gets married, she's 11 now....
You've gotten more done in 2mos. than I've done in 6...
Jon

My knee has healed enough that I am starting to work in the garage again. I got my bumpers back from the platers. I welded the bolts in and ground the tops off. They did a good job but not great on the chrome. I do like the look of no mounting bolts.

SmoothBumper1.jpg

Hopefully I can get the front bumper on this weekend. Then I have to get the passenger seat track on and the seat installed. I also have one window handle that keeps falling off so I need to figure that problem out.

That is a really cool idea! My bumper bolts never fit right anyhow, may just have to add this to my list of mods to do later.

Front bumper is on. The platter did not do as good of a job on the front. I see a few pits where the bolts were welded. Those will have to wait until after the wedding.

Wed17.jpg

Looks great. Like I said before, I really like that idea of no bolt heads on the bumper.

I wonder how you install the front bumper using only the welded studs...it must require a lot of hands and cursing to avoid scratching the body paint!

It was not that hard.

I removed the front valiance.

Bolted the bumper brackets to the bumper but nuts are still loose.

Bolted brackets to frame, aligned it up and tightened the bolts and nuts.

Reattached the front valiance. Took about 1 hour.

Woo-Who, I love power disk brakes. Finally got the booster installed Saturday. Great pedal feel and great stopping power.

Wed18.jpg

Sunday, I washed, Polished, glazed and Waxed (twice). This morning I cleaned the interior. All ready for the wedding this coming Saturday.
Wed19.jpg

The bride asked the photographer to take pictures of them and with the car and a few of just the Mustang by itself. The Museum staff will also be making sure that no one messes with the Mustang.

I saw this gem in person this weekend, really nice!!! and a cool garage too. John is a great guy and very cool ideas on this car that really don't jump out but make it very cool!
It was nice to meet him and his wife. Great job on the car, both of them!

Looking good!

I have to admit, a couple of his ideas are on my list to add on later.

Back