• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70_Fastback: RAT ROD - 193x Ford / 1942 GMC Truck

Re: Got my next project. RAT ROD - '39(?) Ford Truck

"AzPete" said:
I am thinking it is a 39 cab with 40 doors.........maybe that was the case in late 39/early 40.

I don't know Pete. That body line is consistent all the way around from the door to the cab.

Could it be a commercial truck? My aunt has a 37 Commercial and it's just different enough from the regular trucks to keep you scratching your head 24/7.

"70_Fastback" said:
LoL; it;s kind of a long running, inside joke. Do a search on here for "Hudson" and you'll see.

I had Bonnie tell them that I bought a new project, so they missed out on getting MY cash... :vic
Ohhh... yeah, I do remember that now....

'39 cab had high wipers, triple rib belt line, '40 had low wipers, double rib belt line, the commercial ones I found had a double belt line but it was a bit more separated than the others. Most '39 cabs had a split windshield with the glass slightly sloped back to the sides. '40 cabs had more of a 1 piece windshield with no slope. I found very little difference in the com. cabs and that would be noticeable on this one too. The belt line design also went to the cab just back of the doors and some into the cowl area. Also, the center of the cowl, under the hood, has a dimple down, which was hard to locate on any cab only pictures.

I would say it is a '38/'39 based on the wiper placement but not 100% yet.

or....it could be a dodge cab with chevy doors and ford gauges....either way, I kept getting derailed looking at pictures because some of them the truck was hidden by skin.........sorry, wrong place to post them...hahahaha

Man, J. That's like one of those posters they used to sell at the mall...stare at it long enough and let your eyes go out of focus and you really CAN see a truck!

Seriously, that's a perfect rat-rod body! I agree with Jack...chop chop. I assume with your "Faux Rat Rod" comments that you're not gonna do some of the crazy crap they do like replacing body panels with scrap cut off a broken microwave, right?

You considering making it a roadster or you gonna forsure keep the top?

This may be a stang site, but you gotta keep us in the loop on this build!!!

Steve

"AzPete" said:
'39 cab had high wipers, triple rib belt line, '40 had low wipers, double rib belt line, the commercial ones I found had a double belt line but it was a bit more separated than the others. Most '39 cabs had a split windshield with the glass slightly sloped back to the sides. '40 cabs had more of a 1 piece windshield with no slope. I found very little difference in the com. cabs and that would be noticeable on this one too. The belt line design also went to the cab just back of the doors and some into the cowl area. Also, the center of the cowl, under the hood, has a dimple down, which was hard to locate on any cab only pictures.

I would say it is a '38/'39 based on the wiper placement but not 100% yet.

or....it could be a dodge cab with chevy doors and ford gauges....either way, I kept getting derailed looking at pictures because some of them the truck was hidden by skin.........sorry, wrong place to post them...hahahaha

and I forgot to mention Pete, it does have the split winshield. The frame is just not on the cab, it's stored over on the shelves already. But that is great info so far. Many thanks!

Oh I will keep updates Steve. It IS a Ford, so that should count for something...

And chopping it would cool, but I have never done that. That will take a lot of investigative research on my part... and a big set.

The chopping of the doors is easy, just have to get the angle of the front slope to match the cab. The cab back is a straight shot but the front is a pain to get the windshield to lay to look correct and matching the "A" pillar lines is a challenge. Lots of little cut wedges and backing plates. Then, getting the cab glass. Looks like yours are flat so that helps. The doors are easy as the fit can be fudged on in the roll up and down placement. Lower the seat and then sit in it and find out that you cannot fit between the cab and the seat with your feet anywhere near the pedals.......

I helped a friend in Phx. chop an old International truck......headaches but it was nice when done.

This is a '37 dually I think. Looks like it might be close on the belt line...maybe someone can blow it up to see better.
old_truck_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pretty cool stuff J, wish I was a little closer so I could help.

Any thoughts for a drive train? IMO An old flathead would rock but so would a newer modular motor. :lol :$$$

"70_Fastback" said:
It IS a Ford, so that should count for something...

Just as long as you dont put a chebbie in it.

Yep, old flat head V8, 4 speed, trip deuces on top, open headers back to the rear wheels, 33 Radiator support, skinny wheels on the front with an old style axle and discs, BIG meats on the back.........

Yeah J. I'm reading it.

When the time comes to paint it, I'll be there for you. Might even break out the airbrush and paint some fake rust and bare metal for ya.

Been getting quotes to get it blasted. Just found a local guy who wants 150 - 200$ to do it inside and out. Cab and doors. Take him 2 days.

sounds reasonable to me...

That has some major potential! Looks to be fun build! Keep the pictures coming as you go.

Oh, and as Jake said, NO CHEBBIE!! When I see cool old Ford with chevy engines, I shake my head and keep walking.

My Dad's already been offering to give me one of his late model 350 engines for it... :ep

"70_Fastback" said:
My Dad's already been offering to give me one of his late model 350 engines for it... :ep
Thats what i was worried about. I remembered that your dads a chevy guy. Stay away from the darkside J.

"70_Fastback" said:

That would be one reason for getting banned here......or following nick's build style...... :lol Maybe you can call him in on it and be driving it next Monday.

I think you should build a bad a$$ flathead!

Back