• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Am I crazy or Stupid?

EFI or original engine?

• Keep the EFI setup

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Rebuild and reinstall original engine

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finish the EFI and drive it while I rebuild my original engine.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Give up and sell the car.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

RapidRabbit

Donator
OK guys and gals, I need opinions.

I have not touched my Mustang in almost a year. :hide

I have been struggling with a decision that has put a hold on any progress.
When I bought the 5.0 EFI engine a couple of years ago, I was under the impression that my car did not have its original engine. After I pulled the 302 out, I cleaned off the top I found my VIN stamped on the engine and transmission. I went ahead with the EFI swap with much hesitation but I had already bought all the parts and stuck a bunch of money into it.

Well here we are 2 years later and I want to pull the EFI motor out and rebuild my original engine.
So the question is am I crazy or just stupid? I have wasted a lot of money on the EFI install and feel like I should just leave it. But, I hate the thought of not using the original numbers matching engine. I imagine I could sell some of the EFI stuff and the engine to recoup some of my money. And I would still use the AOD and save my original C4.

The reason I decided to replace the engine in the first place is because it was leaking and burning oil like crazy. It was puffing smoke pretty bad when I accelerated and it left major oil puddles everywhere. Once I had it towed and when they had it on the flatbed on an angle it was pouring out oil. I used to drive the car all the time and figured an EFI and AOD combo would be better for all the highway driving I do.

I have no idea what the condition of the original block is. So I know I would need to have it checked out first and machined. It would probably need new valves as they was clacking pretty bad towards the end. So maybe new heads, aluminum intake, new cam etc. But then I start thinking about how much all that would cost me and I just don't know what direction to go.

So what would you do? I am actually losing sleep at night thinking about it. :shrug

Are you not really close on the efi swap now?

Assuming you are as close as i recall, i think if i was you, i would finish the efi, drive the hell out of it, and moth ball the original if you want to go back in the future. Everything you've done can be undone if you want to later. I wish i went efi when i dumped all that money into my car.

I'm close.
I still need to run fuel lines and install fuel pump and modify fuel sending unit for return line.
Need to make power steering hoses. Install exhaust system including o2 sensors. Then trouble shoot any electrical issues if it won't start or run properly.

Do you really want us to discuss your mental capacity?????

As far as the engine deal, I say finish what you are doing. Then you can slowly rebuild the original and swap it out when the EFI is dead.

What about using the efi engine that is in the car now but swap out the upper end of the engine. Just exchange the intakes and timing covers. Put it back to carbed and change it back at a later date if you decide to tackle the efi again.

Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

That's not really something I want to do. If I go back to carb I'd rather go back to original then.

Here is how it looks right now.

6b0a787b-9522-c57c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get back out in the garage and finish what you started, you'll be very happy with the EFI setup and someday you can go back to the original engine, but I don't think you will.
The main thing is, get back working on it, find some time, make some time, just do it.

"Larry G" said:
Get back out in the garage and finish what you started, you'll be very happy with the EFI setup and someday you can go back to the original engine, but I don't think you will.
The main thing is, get back working on it, find some time, make some time, just do it.

Maybe I just needed a kick in Butt.
Time to git er done.

Thanks guys.

"AzPete" said:
Do you really want us to discuss your mental capacity?????

As far as the engine deal, I say finish what you are doing. Then you can slowly rebuild the original and swap it out when the EFI is dead.

:stu

I'd keep the #'s matching one and drive the EFI around. Likely will drive better with the EFI plus you won't wear your #'s matching block to a point where it can no longer be machined, etc.

I had a Firebird years ago that was numbers matching until a rod broke and put a hole in the side of the block and it was no longer #'s matching. At that point that block's only use was as a boat anchor.

Am I crazy or Stupid?

"RustyRed" said:
:stu

I'd keep the #'s matching one and drive the EFI around. Likely will drive better with the EFI plus you won't wear your #'s matching block to a point where it can no longer be machined, etc.

I had a Firebird years ago that was numbers matching until a rod broke and put a hole in the side of the block and it was no longer #'s matching. At that point that block's only use was as a boat anchor.

Dude, do u even have a mustang?

Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

"lethal289" said:
Dude, do u even have a mustang?

Not at the moment...sold the '66 and still looking for the right car to get another.

But that would have anything to do with noting that if you're running around with a numbers matching block you run the risk of no longer having a numbers matching car if the right catastrophic engine failure came along?

Are you planning on showing in concours events? Surely if you put the stock motor back in you will want to replace your fancy wheels with stock hubcaps and remove your aftermarket stereo. If I still had the numbers matching engine for my car....I'd give it to Mark to grenade...

"Fast68back" said:
Are you planning on showing in concours events? Surely if you put the stock motor back in you will want to replace your fancy wheels with stock hubcaps and remove your aftermarket stereo. If I still had the numbers matching engine for my car....I'd give it to Mark to grenade...

Far from concours. I am merely thinking of general originality here. But I am looking at replacing my wheels and maybe going back to magnums, but the hub caps will never go back on.

DSC01919.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back