• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Am I crazy or Stupid?

EFI or original engine?

• Keep the EFI setup

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Rebuild and reinstall original engine

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finish the EFI and drive it while I rebuild my original engine.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Give up and sell the car.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Pat- Keep moving forward on the EFI setup. You are almost there and the end result is so worth it. EFI makes the car just that much easier to start and drive, plus helps in the fuel mileage and power arena. Once you work out the few bugs (if any) you will never want to go back to a carb again!

Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

Well I did go out in the garage and look at the car today. Had to make a punch list so I can tackle some of the smaller projects when time allows. I almost forgot a few small things that I need to do.

Here's what's left.

Run fuel lines, pump, and tank return line.

Adjust shifter linkage. Seems to be catching and not getting the right gear.

Full exhaust system and O2 sensors.
Driveshaft needs to be shortened and reinstalled.

Modify gas pedal.

Power steering hoses.

Make shock tower braces.

Fix rusty frame rails and reinstall bumper and valance.

adjust TV cable.

That's it???

Get off your ass and get that car finished Mr. You'll thank us later!

Am I crazy or Stupid?

"RapidRabbit" said:
Well I did go out in the garage and look at the car today. Had to make a punch list so I can tackle some of the smaller projects when time allows. I almost forgot a few small things that I need to do.

Here's what's left.

Run fuel lines, pump, and tank return line.

Adjust shifter linkage. Seems to be catching and not getting the right gear.

Full exhaust system and O2 sensors.
Driveshaft needs to be shortened and reinstalled.

Modify gas pedal.

Power steering hoses.

Make shock tower braces.

Fix rusty frame rails and reinstall bumper and valance.

adjust TV cable.

That's like a weekends worth of work. Get it done.

Pfft.....I mean it's not like you have a real pile of work with 2 cars collecting dust just because you haven't bolted in two master cylinders and bent up some MC to distro block lines.

I work weekends. The problem is my schedule. I work retail so all kinds of weird hours. And to make it worse my wife works 2 days a week. And guess what days, my days off, so I have the 2 year old all day on my days off. I have to take vacation to have a day to myself.

We've been busy trying to get stuff done on the house. Stripping and staining the deck has been my latest project.

Blah, blah, blah, finish the car or we'll come take it away and have it "Foose'd"

:roll

"RapidRabbit" said:
... I have to take vacation to have a day to myself....

So what's the problem with that...?

I can't count the number of times that I have done that.... would it not be worth it? :shrug

"Horseplay" said:
I'm going with crazy.

Kids do that.

My 65 remained broken and immobile for almost 20 months because of the compromises that need to be made between working on cars, keeping the house running, working, spending time with family. So don't beat yourself up. Time will free up eventually.

Gonna schedule some vacation in Sept and get it done then.

I'm probably going to have a shop do the exhaust. And need to find a friend with a welder.

Re: Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

"manley" said:
Obviously, you need another car. You're welcome!

Good idea. Must be something on Craigslist I can pick up. Now how do I convince the wife? Tell her its for her?

Pat I'd have to add my vote in with the majority and say move ahead with the EFI. You're in the home stretch. Even if you can only get one little thing done at a time, it's still progress. You're so close to the finish line now you'd be seriously going backwards otherwise (ESPECIALLY with time being at a premium!). Keep your original stuff should ever decide to return it all original or sell. I think you'll really enjoy the EFI set up for driveability.

I'd suggest taking your punch list and print it out with check off boxes next to each item. Check'em off as you go. I think you'll be surprised how much you get done. That's the only thing that's kept me from giving up on mine. My checks may be for small items here and there, but as the list shortens I start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep up the good work, you'll get there! :thu

I think it was the rusty frame rails that killed my momentum. I don't have a welder and haven't gotten gutsy enough yet. I know my limitations at this point. Welding is beyond them. So I got depressed that even if I finished the efi I still had to deal with that issue.

And I have had a punch list written out and posted on the wall by the car since I started. As I got each little step done I crossed it off.

Re: Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

"S8NS 289" said:
What do you need welded?, and what else to complete the EFI swap? Do you have all the parts?

I need to have the front outer frame rails replaced where the bumper mounts. I bought the metal patch pieces already.

The only parts I need yet are the push on connectors for the fuel rails and fuel line. I bought some hard line a while back, but never used it. Trying to figure out if I should run braided line or steel. And I have to figure which route I'm going with the return line to the fuel sending unit.

Back