• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone know how to make Dynamite sticks?

tarafied1

My right rear sequential dynamite stick quit working, they are pretty old. New ones are over $100. Anybody know how to make one?

A few household chemicals in the correct proportion and viola chemical equivalent of dynamite. Being a chemical engineer that's the only dynamite sticks I know how to make. :craz

Craig, I have no idea how in the he!! they work, but I could probably cobble up an electronic circut to do it.

Edit: On second thought, I know exactly how they work...it's just a bunch of inverter gates. Crap, that's ten bucks at radio shack.

Edited edit: I can start working on a circuit and a parts list if you're interested?

Edit numero tres: Google did most of the design work for me. The freakin box to mount it in would cost more than the parts. :rofl

Edit number eleventybillion: $100 would buy you parts for a pair, boxes to put them in, and a couple cases of beer. :D

"AzPete" said:
Pete,
Page 12, thats what I have. One is fried, new set is $100+

Gotstang,
$100 would buy you parts for a pair, boxes to put them in, and a couple cases of beer. :D
That's what I was thinking!

apollard,
I can't read this stuff:
sequence-control.jpg

anything for electrical dummys like buy circut board part # xxx and little round thingy part # xyz and connect it to the red wire?

Last edited by a moderator:
"tarafied1" said:
anything for electrical dummys like buy circut board part # xxx and little round thingy part # xyz and connect it to the red wire?

Hehe...for $200, sure. otherwise, you'd have to pick which way to skin that cat and some stuff and a couple 555 timer chips and start soldering. :ecit

apollard is probably right choosing FETs, that would be simple as all get out and very 21st century. :craz

FET's? If I walk into Radio Shack and ask for a handful of FET's what will I get? (I know, a hand full of FET's but what is an FET?) :eek:mg

"tarafied1" said:
FET's? If I walk into Radio Shack and ask for a handful of FET's what will I get? (I know, a hand full of FET's but what is an FET?) :eek:mg

You won't get anything because it's not a cell phone plan, they don't know how to sell it to you. :rofl

a FET is a Field Effect Transistor...MOSFETS are used in car speaker amps, but FETs work well for a LOT of other things, memory serves they can handle a lot more current draw w/o a relay, as compared to regular transistors and that's their big advantage.

I can almost read that schematic, it's a wee bit scribbly for my blind arse. :rofl I can help you come up with a parts list if you'd need it, and/or build them. I haven't burnt myself with a soldering iron recently. :rofl

"gotstang" said:
You won't get anything because it's not a cell phone plan, they don't know how to sell it to you. :rofl

a FET is a Field Effect Transistor...MOSFETS are used in car speaker amps, but FETs work well for a LOT of other things, memory serves they can handle a lot more current draw w/o a relay, as compared to regular transistors and that's their big advantage.

I can almost read that schematic, it's a wee bit scribbly for my blind arse. :rofl I can help you come up with a parts list if you'd need it, and/or build them. I haven't burnt myself with a soldering iron recently. :rofl
I need your help (if that hasn't been obvious :cry) I can solder but I have no idea about MOSFETS and FETs and where to get them. Any help will be greatly appreciated and compensated. I should only need one side right? How much we talking? :$$$

"tarafied1" said:
apollard,
I can't read this stuff:
sequence-control.jpg

I've never seen a kit. I can solder you one up, probably $15 in parts. Let me know. Mine's been running nearly a year now. Of course, the car hasn't moved for 3 months of that time :cry

My ignorance sometimes amazes me.... It's as if you guys are speaking in a foreign language.

Well, I'm still working on it...and trying to figure out what the hell was up with the guy that wrote that diagram. I expected to see transistors, and I think he skipped em and ran the lights straight off the timer via a relay, which seems a little odd.

So, I'm going to try skipping the relays and using MOSFETs, not only is it geekier, its a whole lot cheaper. :rofl

Dave, don't feel bad. I don't know what I'm doing, google and textbooks are what got me this far.

OK, scanner crapped out, so here's a pos MS paint version. I used STP12PF06 MOSFETS. If you're running bulbs, mount them on a small heatsink. The 'on' resistance of these is small, but they will heat up with a few amps running through them (I'm running homebuilt LEDs, so no heatsink needed). The 1K resistors are used to pull the gate of the MOSFET up. Not stictly necessary with a 556, but I always do it.

Not sure if you can get a good MOSFET like this local - I live in Charlotte, and no dice. I ordered from Newark. Alternatively, just use the relays, they last forever, BUT, I would add a reverse diode across them to protect the 556. Don't use a 7556, they are too touchy for our electrical systems- ask me how I know.

Leave the 100k pots accessible so they can be adjusted to give the same rate side to side.

275_20_11_09_3_57_09.jpg

"daveSanborn" said:
My ignorance sometimes amazes me.... It's as if you guys are speaking in a foreign language.
Yep, im convinced there is no english in this thread! One question... :wtf is a dynamite stick?

"apollard" said:
OK, scanner crapped out, so here's a pos MS paint version. I used STP12PF06 MOSFETS. If you're running bulbs, mount them on a small heatsink. The 'on' resistance of these is small, but they will heat up with a few amps running through them (I'm running homebuilt LEDs, so not heatsink needed). The 1K resistors are used to pull the gate of the MOSFET up. Not stictly necessary with a 556, but I always do it.

Not sure you can get a good MOSFET like this local - I live in Charlotte, and no dice. I ordered from Newark. Alternatively, just use the relays, they last forever, BUT, I would add a reverse diode across them to protect the 556. Don't use a 7556, they are too touchy for our electrical systems- ask me how I know.

Leave the 100k pots accessible so they can be adjusted to give the same rate side to side.

275_20_11_09_3_57_09.jpg

Wow, great, thanks man! One really dumb question, did you use power resistors or plain quarter watt jobs?

PS: What are the funny looking symbols like the ones coming off of #3 and #11 of the timer? Is that supposed to be a diode symbol? I never could read that, even in the original drawing.

"lethal289" said:
One question... :wtf is a dynamite stick?

Original name form the turn signal electrical sequencing device in the 60's Ford products...........

"gotstang" said:
Wow, great, thanks man! One really dumb question, did you use power resistors or plain quarter watt jobs?

PS: What are the funny looking symbols like the ones coming off of #3 and #11 of the timer? Is that supposed to be a diode symbol? I never could read that, even in the original drawing.

I used basic 1/2 watt carbon film, cause that's what I had. Not much current flowing in any of these resistors, 1/4 watt should be fine.

Pins #3 & #11 are connected to ground through a .01uf capacitor; they are the control voltage pins for the timer. If they are not used, they should be bypassed to ground with a .01 uf cap. You often see them left open, but that can lead to false triggering in the timer (especially in the noisy environment of a car). Any .01 uf cap will do, I used ceramic.

Oh, make sure all the caps are rated 25V - a 16V might short out if a voltage spike comes along.

thanks for the help guys, I too have no idea what your saying! I found this article that I kinda understand (it's old). Does it help?
72_20_11_09_7_49_34_0.jpg

72_20_11_09_7_49_35_1.jpg

72_20_11_09_7_49_36_2.jpg

Back