• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone know how to make Dynamite sticks?

"tarafied1" said:
thanks for the help guys, I too have no idea what your saying! I found this article that I kinda understand (it's old). Does it help?

Hmmm. Never thought about using SCRs; slick little circuit. Could probably use MOSFETs the same way. I'll have to look into it.

Any bigger files? I printed these, but they are hard to read from the d/l off the gallery. I can't read the designation of D1 & D2. It looks like D13D1 on my print, but I can't find that in any part cross reference. I think they are a zener diode, but not sure.

EDIT: OK, I think D1/D2 might be DIACs. Although, there are very few that operate in the 12V or less range. If you can tell me the GE # on those, it might help.

will this help?
72_20_11_09_8_27_43_0.jpg

72_20_11_09_8_27_43_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's pretty slick. At the risk of sounding like I'm jumping on the bandwagon, I actually thought of SCRs as one of my first ideas. Gave up on it because I knew I wouldn't know WTF to do with them. :rofl

I'm bashing out a schematic for a MOSFET circuit, nice and pretty in CAD (thanks apollard!!). Only thing I haven't figured out is how to (easily) make the brake lights come on solid, but on second thought, I don't even know if they are supposed to be that way??

Yep. I can't find the part # they are referencing, but they are calling it a silicon unilateral switch. Google tells me that is an older form of DIAC. None of those in the parts box and damn few show up in that voltage range, although they aren't expensive so I might just order a few to have around. I might try to prototype something with a zener diode instead since I have a few SCRs and Zeners (hey, I'm intrigued now). Unfortunately, tomorrow is work on the MIL's car day :sad

"gotstang" said:
Only thing I haven't figured out is how to (easily) make the brake lights come on solid, but on second thought, I don't even know if they are supposed to be that way??

When you put on the brake, it sequences and then holds all three lights on until you release the brake. So, no need to worry about handling the brakes seperately.

The circuit tarafied1 posted will do the same. I'm gonna futz around with it some.BTW, I wouldn't have known how to trigger the SCRs either. Got a few around from some grab bag of parts I bought somewhere, tho-

"apollard" said:
When you put on the brake, it sequences and then holds all three lights on until you release the brake. So, no need to worry about handling the brakes seperately.
the dynomite sticks work that way too...
thanks guys, seams maybe not so easy?

"tarafied1" said:

eh, you could fake it easy enough, just wire the brake light wiring to a bypass so they come on solid and if you're stopped and turning, have them blink the outer bulb. Could probably find an easy-ish way to make them work right if you knew what the heck you were doing, LOL. Might have to look into that.

PS: Eff the nice pretty computer generated diagram, I'm doing it by hand. :rofl I keep fighting the computer and loosing.

"tarafied1" said:

Not too hard, mine are blinking away with the circuit originally posted. I'm just intrigued by the SCR concept - fewer components, etc.

First draft of the MOSFET schematic is done in CAD, finally outsmarted the computer, LOL. Now if I can find the export button so I've got something to post up.

Edit: Export function outsmarted. See below.

dynamite.jpg

What bothers me is this brings back memories of my military schooling on weapons electrical systems............and I don't want to remember....

That is some nice work.

"gotstang" said:
First draft of the MOSFET schematic is done in CAD, finally outsmarted the computer, LOL. Now if I can find the export button so I've got something to post up.

Edit: Export function outsmarted. See below.
Damn, wish I could CAD these, much easier to follow. My scribble is hard for me to decipher sometimes.

A few things you need to check:
Check your pins on the 556, the numbers you have don't match the labels. For example, v+ s/b pin 14, directly opposite pin 1 - they are numbered ccw around the chip. It looks like that has led you to misconnect some pints - for example on your drawing pin 13 is out_B, while pin 13 on the 556 is Disch_B. However, neither Disch_B nor Out_B should be connected to V+. Connecting Disch_B (or A) to V+ will fry the chip (ask me how I know). Connecting Outputs to a std 556 won't fry the chip, but the protection will shut it down. On the CMOS 7556, it'll fry the chip (ask me again how I know, solder bridges can be frustrating).

Also, the drawing shows pin 6 not connected. The bypass cap isn't connected to pin 3 but I think that's the .jpg export, since the line from C5 ends mid drawing.

yeah, what he said!

seriously though Kyle, I appreciate the effort! and thanks apollard for your help too!!!

Thanks apollard...I knew something didn't look right on the 556...fixing that fixed a lot of the other "oopsies". There are a couple goofs in the drawing where it deleted my wiring all of the sudden (that's what I get for clicking on funny looking icons that I don't know what to do with :rofl )

Re-drew the circuit a couple different times since that picture and now I think it's even wired right, not to mention a whole heck of a lot better looking.

kiCAD is free and pretty good as far as CAD suites go, pretty intuitive compared to some others. You ought to check it out, I taught it to myself as I started on this thing, but I've used Pro/E and Inventor so I guess I've got a leg up on most people.

I found a good description re: the logic needed to make the brake lights behave themselves, so I guess that's next on the list to be added before I place a Newark order and break out the old Weller iron. I think an XOR gate setup to stop the clock should do it...still kicking it around though.

On further review, a 4070 IC might just be what the doctor ordered for the brake lights; it's a quad unit, so I wouldn't need to use all the pins, but it would be cleaner than doing it the old fashioned way with individual transistors.

OK, got a chance to pull out my taillights to change the lenses, gasket, etc. (still gotta fix the light rust around them though). So, I took a few pics so you could see the circuit as I built it.

Close up of circuit board. Components at the bottom of the board (below row E) are the limit resistors and blocking diodes to make it work with my homebuilt LED Arrays. The rest of the circuit is as posted previously.
275_22_11_09_3_59_06_0.JPG

View showing the wiring to my LEDs and to the taillight plug. I did it this way so I could keep the stock look in the trunk. Can also change back easy.
275_22_11_09_3_59_08_1.JPG

You shouldn't need anything to stop the timer, it is set to latch after one cycle. The only reason it repeats when the turn signals are on is the power is removed by the flasher, resetting the timer. When brakes are applied, it sequences once, then holds the lights on until the brake is released. I did a quick video to show the action, couldn't get it with the lens on with my cheap camera (no video camera, and the still camera video just blurred), but you can see the LEDs well w/o the lens. First the blinkers are on, then a few cycles of brakes, then blinkers again. Ignore the two year old at the beginning, he wanted Daddy to pick him up.
Turn Signals

I'll have to try that CAD suite. I also found several free schematic programs I'll try.

Sweet, thank you! That answers all the things I was pondering about the operation. What about if you are turning with the brakes on? I guess it would hold one side and flash the other, because of the flasher unit?

I guess I can forgo getting real fancy with the 4070 IC chip and just leave it as-is..thank god! :rofl

PS: I see you're using electrolytic caps? I pulled a dummy and assumed all ceramics for some reason...which positions are you using the electrolytics for?

Edit: I don't want to ask too much, but what are the values on your caps? The original schematic is poorly labeled. I'll have an annotated CAD'ed schematic and full BOM to share when its over...promise!

:ecit

that's what I need. Kyle I think your right, the the brake goes thru the TS switch so the one that flashes is controlled by the flasher. That much I do know.

"tarafied1" said:
that's what I need. Kyle I think your right, the the brake goes thru the TS switch so the one that flashes is controlled by the flasher. That much I do know.
Yeah, I totally spazzed out and forgot to account for the flasher unit doing what it does...life is easier now that I've realized that (with help from you guys)

Back