• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam Essentric

So ive decided to switch my car back to a mechanical fuel pump instead of the electric fuel pump setup the PO had on my car.

Ive removed the old timing cover so I can put on the new one with the mechanical fuel pump mount. My question is where do I install the cam essentic too so the fuel pump works. Attached are a few pics of the timing chain and engine.

Attachments

• 3-20-11 ENGINE1.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 3-20-11 ENGINE4.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 68
Yep, the dowel pin also sets in in the correct location.

As J brought up in your build thread, make sure you use the right piece. It's all about clearance under the cover.

It looks like you will need the longer dowel also. It doesn't appear that yours extends past the face of the cam gear.

maybe this a better angle. What do you think Jeremy do I need a longer dowel?

that just sounds wrong

Attachments

• 3-20-11 ENGINE3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 61
someone just posted this pic to one of my other forums. I think I understand how it works now

Attachments

• cam essentric.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 58
"Daves69Coupe" said:
maybe this a better angle. What do you think Jeremy do I need a longer dowel?

that just sounds wrong

Looks like the dowel is not sticking out of the cam gear. That dowel goes in the the eccentric hole and keeps it locked in the same position.

Your second picture appears to be a 2-piece eccentric...

And your first picture, for a 1-piece eccentric, you will need the longer dowel for sure.

look in the picture I posted at the cam gear. right above the washer is what looks like a circle in a circle. that inner "circle" is actually the end of the dowel pin. it is used to locate the eccentric on the face of the gear. normally it would protrude more. i'll see if I can't find a better picture.

Here ya go. see the pin coming out of the end of the cam? that is the dowel that is used to locate the eccentric.

Attachments

• eccentric.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 17
Probably

I've never had to buy one before. You may be able to get them at a good hardware supplier too.

I would assume so. But most times, when you buy your cam it comes with a couple of different dowels. Long, short, etc. I would hope that is the long one... I would call their Tech support and also ask about just buying the eccentric & dowel.

Back