• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam Essentric

When i remove the timing chain to get to the cam gear is that going to throw off timing or anything?

It only would if i rotated the engine correct?

Rotate the crank till the dot on the cam and the dot on the crank sprocket line up after the #1 intake closes (TDC). Take a picture and save it in a safe place! You can move anything you want and when you put it back together, it'll all line back up if you put it back to same places with #1 intake closed.

Not sure If I explained it well......

yea i understand it.

So if I remove the timing chain and dont rotate the cam or crank the timing should stay in the same place correct?

Correct; but do as Mark mentioned - get the dots lined up so you have a reference point to put it back together from.

Yep, answers are easy! Pictures help my feeble memory big time!

Make sure to line them up as stated - it is likely your cam will move some (from the pressure on the lifters).

"silverblueBP" said:
Rotate the crank till the dot on the cam and the dot on the crank sprocket line up after the #1 intake closes (TDC). Take a picture and save it in a safe place! You can move anything you want and when you put it back together, it'll all line back up if you put it back to same places with #1 intake closed.

Not sure If I explained it well......

where is the #1 intake valve located?

FWIW, I bought my longer cam pin at the Ford dealership of all places. I think it was only a couple bucks.

Dave,

Go buy this book. Seriously. Every Ford guy needs a copy. It does a very good job of explaining and SHOWING you all the stuff you have been asking about and a whole lot more.

Attachments

• book.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 47
Those dowels are for locating the cylinder heads onto the block.

You need to determine what size bolt you have holding your cam sprocket onto the cam. 3/8" uses a 9/16 socket, for reference.

"70_Fastback" said:
That's how ya' learn by asking questions. :thu

I bought a cam essentric kit from jegs. I believe this is a 2 piece essentric correct?
Also bought the ford small black book, I just have to wait for it to come in this week. Does it look like I have everything I might need?

Attachments

• cam.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
Looks like it. Now just one more thing...

E-C-C-E-N-T-R-I-C

It's driving me crazy! lol

Back