• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Did I miss the memo at VMF or something?

chucky

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/concours-forum/606745-forum-rules-revisited.html

Laurie S.

Forum Rules Revisited

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is against the rules to post the URL of a website that is in "competition" with one on VMF, which is why, again, I had to delete a thread. If I didn't do it, there would be complaints and another moderator or an admin would step in. Please take that discussion to e-mails, or your PMs, if they work. My e-mail is in my profile, if you need to reach me about it.

That thread was doubly deleted because of an ad in the OP's signature. Again, please remember the rules.

Ohhhhhhhh, so it's just a business, not a group of people spreading the vintage knowledge. What total BS.

I can't tell you how many times I pointed people to VMF while I was on another site if their answer could be found there.

Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

In all Fairness, (and with deference to Jeremy's above point)...

The rule is not "don't link to threads on other sites." Laurie clearly pointed out (later on in the thread) that you can discuss other sites. (Even the "naughty word" ban on "StangFix" has been lifted)

You can link to threads ON other sites if it answers a question.

You just can't say "Hey guys, go check out www.concoursmustang.com...it's AWESOME"

However...On StangFix I AM allowed to say "Hey guys, are you guys reading forums.vintage-mustang.com?? It's a pretty good website!!!" Because we aren't paranoid like that.

And I give my hats off to Laurie for doing her best to walk a very delicate line.

Hmmm..... I'm glad I'm not a moderator over there. It doesn't seem like a very fun responsibility to have. I do admire Laurie and Stan for their dedication to the VMF, but I wonder if in the end it'll all be worth it. Reading through that thread tells me that the admin team has no choice but to choose enforcing a rule they don't necessarily agree with..... will the friendships that have been made within the community suffer as a result?

I sincerely hope that not to be the case.

I'm very suprised to see that the below comment was allowed to remain....

will destroy the community sense that members have previously held at VMF and drive away more established members beyond the mass exodus that has already occurred.

"RyanG85" said:
Thats pretty sad. Oh well. Greener pastures over here...

And we:

1. Have a shoutbox and bitchin chat room
2. Have probably the greatest collection of members that all other forums would kill to have.
3. Can see Russia from our front porch.

"cmayna" said:
And we:

2. Have probably the greatest collection of members that all other forums would kill to have.
'Bout time I got some recognition. :ecit

I continue to be amazed at what passes for "acceptable" over there. Laurie, if you read this, understand that I like you as a person and I value our friendship. However, your position regarding censorship of a perceived threat by the powers-that-be over there is untenable in a community that has built its reputation upon the free exchange of ideas and information. When posts disappear and long time members are banned for having impure thoughts, I get the feeling that the Thought Police are in charge over there. As a heads up, I suggest you actually take a look at the Forum Rules you cite in support of your postition that are part of the sign up process over there. I just did and conspicuous by its absence is any reference whatsoever to "competing" sites.

First and foremost this is a hobby and site loyalty should not be required to participate. I am a member of several hobbyist sites and until recently, it never dawned on me that I might be perceived as "disloyal" for visiting competing sites. Such a policy would be absurd and frankly is offensive to me. Putting this in perspective, recently someone over there asked about CT. I responded by PM that he could be found at the new Concours Site. My post was instantly censored to delete the reference to that site. Be honest with yourself, the current VMF is much less friendly than it was 18 months ago. There is a reason that a large contingent of old time VMF folks have found a friendlier place to hang out. The drama and BS are just not worth the trouble over there.

Very well put Jeff. I was tempted to post a reply to that post, but it would probably be deleted anyways.

btw....where are the cookies? Mongo hungry.

"JeffTepper" said:
I continue to be amazed at what passes for "acceptable" over there. Laurie, if you read this, understand that I like you as a person and I value our friendship. However, your position regarding censorship of a perceived threat by the powers-that-be over there is untenable in a community that has built its reputation upon the free exchange of ideas and information. When posts disappear and long time members are banned for having impure thoughts, I get the feeling that the Thought Police are in charge over there. As a heads up, I suggest you actually take a look at the Forum Rules you cite in support of your postition that are part of the sign up process over there. I just did and conspicuous by its absence is any reference whatsoever to "competing" sites.

First and foremost this is a hobby and site loyalty should not be required to participate. I am a member of several hobbyist sites and until recently, it never dawned on me that I might be perceived as "disloyal" for visiting competing sites. Such a policy would be absurd and frankly is offensive to me. Putting this in perspective, recently someone over there asked about CT. I responded by PM that he could be found at the new Concours Site. My post was instantly censored to delete the reference to that site. Be honest with yourself, the current VMF is much less friendly than it was 18 months ago. There is a reason that a large contingent of old time VMF folks have found a friendlier place to hang out. The drama and BS are just not worth the trouble over there.

Very well said. No need to not be yourself because you're enforcing rules you don't like.

"Fast68back" said:
We have Craig making a fresh batch of herbal cookies.

Brownies? I'm down for that! :ecit

Jeff, I sure hope that cigarette or whatever you had after typing your reply was really good for you deserved it my friend. :craz

And please accept my deepest apology for not listing our infamous dark sided cookies.

Damn...I need to get out more. :lol

See the pretty airplanes over the mountain. :ep

I guess some of you can't read between the lines very well. First, if I hadn't removed the posts, they would have been removed by someone else. I won't say more than that about it. Second, I was trying to steer people to ask me privately for the URL, several of which did so and now are on concoursmustang.com. Believe me, I'm not one of those wearing tinfoil hats.

"Laurie S." said:
I guess some of you can't read between the lines very well. First, if I hadn't removed the posts, they would have been removed by someone else. I won't say more than that about it. Second, I was trying to steer people to ask me privately for the URL, several of which did so and now are on concoursmustang.com. Believe me, I'm not one of those wearing tinfoil hats.

Why even hang around and be a mod then....?

Back