• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine removal tips

abrahamfh

I want to make sure I am prepared for Fred's engine/trans. removal, and figured I would start this topic to get some opinions.

Which tools and methods have you all found to make your life easier when going through the removal procedure? Do you lift the engine,trans. using a chain attached to bolts on opposite corners of the engine, or do you lift it from the intake manifold? Do you use a engine leveler or just the chain and engine hoist? How high should the rearend be lifted to provide the necessary clearance?

I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared, and that every tool that is required or that will facilitate the procedure are on hand and ready.

If you are planning to pull the engine and tranny together, I would expect a leveler to be the way to go. Thus with a leveler, you would fastens one chain to the back side of one head and the other chain to the front of the other head. Remember when you helped us install Shag's motor, how much we angled the motor/tranny assembly tail end down as we lowered it into the engine bay and then started to level it out as we got towards the final resting spot. Just think the reverse when removing.

If you don't have access to one, you can use my leveler.

i make 1/4" thick steel plates that bolt to the heads using at least two bolts per plate with a larger hole for the chain. i'm always nervous that a single bolt thru the chain into the head will snap & tear up more things than i care to fix.

Invite Craig , Rick , Jeff and some other dudes and they will take care.
Let Craig take control and you Abe , go sit on a case of beer and have a beer while watching the old garde working for once !!!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

"B67FSTB" said:
Invite Craig , Rick , Jeff and some other dudes and they will take care.
Let Craig take control and you Abe , go sit on a case of beer and have a beer while watching the old garde working for once !!!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

+ 1 best way to do it. :) :lol

The one thing I have seen the most is folk forgetting to plug the trans so fluid doesnt pour everywhere. Get a plug or wrap a ziplock bag around the tailshaft and zip tie it in place.

"Fast68back" said:
The one thing I have seen the most is folk forgetting to plug the trans so fluid doesnt pour everywhere. Get a plug or wrap a ziplock bag around the tailshaft and zip tie it in place.

Excellent advice.

I prefer to use a load leveler and block plate on the intake to yank/install engines. I believe I can make the 1st, so, I'll bring mine ... it's actually Dennis's (65rangoon), but I'm sure he won't mind you getting some use out of it.

Yank the radiator, tie up the tranny lines (if it's an automatic), and you may even want to pull off the pullies and water pump ... just makes it that much easier.

Also, disconnect the exhaust and get as much of it out of he way as you can. Same goes with the drive shaft (obviously).

While you're at it, disconnect any electrical wiring going to the engine, as well as all plug wires, etc.

"Fast68back" said:

I told Abe when he was over on Friday to remember to pull he driveline but dont forget to drain the tranny first or expect a big ole puddle. I did forget to mention about capping the tranny tailshaft.

abe, I have a tranny rear end plug kit if you need one.

If that doesn't sound :ga I don't know what.

"johnpro" said:
Excellent advice.

I prefer to use a load leveler and block plate on the intake to yank/install engines. I believe I can make the 1st, so, I'll bring mine ... it's actually Dennis's (65rangoon), but I'm sure he won't mind you getting some use out of it.

Yank the radiator, tie up the tranny lines (if it's an automatic), and you may even want to pull off the pullies and water pump ... just makes it that much easier.

Also, disconnect the exhaust and get as much of it out of he way as you can. Same goes with the drive shaft (obviously).

While you're at it, disconnect any electrical wiring going to the engine, as well as all plug wires, etc.

Realy glad you can make it, that would be great if you can bring the intake plate with you.

Radiator is out

3 speed manual transmission

I didnt think of removing the pullies and water pump so I will add that to my list

Exhaust has been removed

Underhood wiring has been removed

Drive shaft has been added to the list per the previously mentioned conversation with Craig on Friday. I was looking for the transmission fluid drain plug for like 30 seconds in the dark last night, will check again today.

Kind of :ga but a plug will always make us cringe and think of a :bart plug.

I recently bought a plug from HF but dont know if its going to work until its put to the test, but if you can bring yours Craig that would be great, our other option is the glad bag zip tie mentioned above by fast68back (very creative by the way, kind of Macgyver'ish).

"Fast68back" said:

... and if you don't plug the speedo hole, the tailshaft plug will have been a waste of time...

The event date has been set as Saturday May 1st, unless something crazy happens or if everyone all at once wants to change it to Sunday May 2nd.

I guess I can't use Shag as an excuse anymore so I will be there. Abe, start making a list of what you need from whom.

"cmayna" said:
I guess I can't use Shag as an excuse anymore so I will be there. Abe, start making a list of what you need from whom.

LoL! Thank you for the suggestion Craig, I guess the engine hoist is covered as of right now,I have been searching online for a intake plate to lift it just to have as a back up and a engine leveler. If I am missing something I have not listed please let me know.

Engine Hoist
Engine Leveler
Intake manifold plate

"abrahamfh" said:
The event date has been set as Saturday May 1st, unless something crazy happens or if everyone all at once wants to change it to Sunday May 2nd.

I presume you will letting us know where we're going for this. :craz

Back