• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine removal tips

"abrahamfh" said:
LoL! Thank you for the suggestion Craig, I guess the engine hoist is covered as of right now,I have been searching online for a intake plate to lift it just to have as a back up and a engine leveler. If I am missing something I have not listed please let me know.

Engine Hoist
Engine Leveler
Intake manifold plate

Unless there is a major advantage of a intake manny plate, why spend the money? As I said earlier, I have a leveler with chains.

Don't forget the engine ground strap that is present on many of these cars - it attaches to the firewall and the back of the passenger side cylinder head. It is very easy to overlook - ask me how I know!

-Rory

"lethal289" said:
have your stand ready to set that beast on.

The stand has been ordered and on its way from Broadway Lift and Equipment in San Pablo. I could have gone to pick it up myself but oh well, its about 40 miles from my house.

Had to modify this post to say that I just recieved a phone call that the engine stand has arrived.

"cmayna" said:
Unless there is a major advantage of a intake manny plate, why spend the money? As I said earlier, I have a leveler with chains.

Thank you for post smacking some sense into me Craig. You are absolutely right, if you would be so kind as to bring your engine leveler and then we could use John's engine plate and I think we are pretty much set. (I have had no luck at all trying to find one of those engine/intake manifold plates anywhere)

"2ndgen" said:
Don't forget the engine ground strap that is present on many of these cars - it attaches to the firewall and the back of the passenger side cylinder head. It is very easy to overlook - ask me how I know!

-Rory

I will most definitely check for that when I get home tonight, thank you for mentioning it. I still have plenty to disconnect and remove but focussing on the engine compartment first, working my way back to the transmission and finally the driveline.

"abrahamfh" said:
The stand has been ordered and on its way from Broadway Lift and Equipment in San Pablo. I could have gone to pick it up myself but oh well, its about 40 miles from my house.

Had to modify this post to say that I just recieved a phone call that the engine stand has arrived.

But Abe,
I already gave you an engine stand. Where did it go?

"cmayna" said:
But Abe,
I already gave you an engine stand. Where did it go?

The one you gave me is perfect for the 351. This cradle style one I just got is so that I can store the 289 and roll it out of the way if ever it needed to be relocated. I still have to re organize the garage a bit to store and keep track of things. Yippy

Abe, I don't know what you're worrying about. Heck when we pull hard enough it will all come out...connected or not. :craz :vic

"KBMWRS" said:
Abe, I don't know what you're worrying about. Heck when we pull hard enough it will all come out...connected or not. :craz :vic

:scar :scar :beat

You guys are the best, thanks again for all your help in the past and in the future. I'm not worried one bit, you guys are all veterans and I admire all of your cars and all the great work you all have put into them. The only thing I'm worried about is making sure we live up to our NorCal code of honor, 2THEBAR!!!! LoL.

I dont know why it totally skipped my mind that everyone was going to be driving. :scar I am so sorry about that. Well, I will have a 6 pack in the fridge but will have all the other drinks in a cooler in the garage.

Yellow=MY HOUSE
Green=PARKING (about 7-8 cars fit along the side of the house, very very low traffic due to it being within the townhomes)

I was wondering if some of you would share your thoughts to finalize the game plan for Saturday.

When using a carb plate, do you usually disconnect the transmission? I'm trying to visualize the carb plate and engine leveler working together.

When using an engine leveler while trying to remove both the engine and transmission, do you raise the rearend of the Mustang?

Once the above have been established, when using the engine leveler, (whether its using the carb plate or bolts to the heads) do you start off with the fulcrum towards the radiator support?

5edcbbbd.jpg

Or do you start off with the fulcrum towards the firewall?

0924f8d5.jpg

Sorry about the elementary questions and the horrible photo editing, I'm stuck using Microsoft paint here at work.

All your suggestions will be used to have a final game plan preselected so as not to take too much of everyones time from us hanging out and eating. LoL

With a carb plate, I do not use a leveler as you do not get a true ability to level from such close hook points. No tranny7 attached.

As for the start position, I use the center and adjust as I proceed.

Raising the rear of the car for a combined tranny and engine pull helps but is not necessary.....but it helps.....alot.

Abe,

Like Pete said, it's easier just to get the load leveler installed and play it by ear once the engine starts lifting out of the car.

What you can do to speed up the engine/trans removal process is:

Driveshaft removed.

The two nuts securing the transmission mount to the transmission crossmember removed.

Speedo cable disconnected and tucked up along a frame rail.

Ebrake cables disconnected at their front end and out of the way.

Nuts on the two bolts securing the transmission crossmember to the floor support removed (leave the bolts installed until the hoist is connected).

I noticed in your latest photo's that the cowl to shock tower braces are still installed. Are you going to remove the engine with those installed? If you'll be cleaning/detailing the engine compartment later, you might as well remove those braces now to open up the engine compartment even further for engine removal.

Nuts removed from engine mount to frame bolts.

When I did this many moons ago, I remember:

1) remove the front cross member cross brace
2) drop the center link and tie rods if not, it will interfer or cause you to raise the powertrain at a steeper angle than without it in there

3) best off just getting a keg with the yahoos you've invited. go for Old Milwakeee. It's got old in its name!

"daveSanborn" said:
Abe,

Like Pete said, it's easier just to get the load leveler installed and play it by ear once the engine starts lifting out of the car.

What you can do to speed up the engine/trans removal process is:

Driveshaft removed.

The two nuts securing the transmission mount to the transmission crossmember removed.

Speedo cable disconnected and tucked up along a frame rail.

Ebrake cables disconnected at their front end and out of the way.

Nuts on the two bolts securing the transmission crossmember to the floor support removed (leave the bolts installed until the hoist is connected).

I noticed in your latest photo's that the cowl to shock tower braces are still installed. Are you going to remove the engine with those installed? If you'll be cleaning/detailing the engine compartment later, you might as well remove those braces now to open up the engine compartment even further for engine removal.

Nuts removed from engine mount to frame bolts.

The bolts were treated with PB Blaster and loosened, I figured I can remove them completely right before we started trying to take everything out. (trans to trans crossmember; trans crossmember to floor support; engine mount to block[I will look into the mounts to frame, I didnt think about that])

Tonight I will be taking on the Ebrake and Speedo removal. Not sure what is all involved or really how to go about it, but I'm sure after starring at it for an hour a plan might come about. LoL :craz

Abe,
Any question, call me tonight. Otherwise we can always take care of all last minute disconnect in the am. I am bring an extra set of wrenches, just in case.

Back