• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

"janschutz" said:
I believe one of the ones that Craig did for me was actually a 65-66. I will take a picture of it. I was going to cut it down to use with a larger tank. If it is a 65-66, then I will send it to you and you send yours to Craig to do for me. My bigger tank project is on hold for a few months.

That would work!

"janschutz" said:
I believe one of the ones that Craig did for me was actually a 65-66. I will take a picture of it. I was going to cut it down to use with a larger tank. If it is a 65-66, then I will send it to you and you send yours to Craig to do for me. My bigger tank project is on hold for a few months.
John,
You did have two different ones (the length was different) but they weren't 65/66. They have a very different shape.
Kat,
I still need to get one and mod it for Ryan's 65, If I can get two I'll make one for you too.

"tarafied1" said:
John,
You did have two different ones (the length was different) but they weren't 65/66. They have a very different shape.
Kat,
I still need to get one and mod it for Ryan's 65, If I can get two I'll make one for you too.

Thanks! I'd appreciate it. Hubby filled up the gas tank again today (after we left the car show) and he got it even worse today and his shorts were covered in gas. :lol I told him do it slowly... did he listen? Of course not.

So I had to spend over an hour in Gertrude on the way home smelling gas on his clothes. :amaz

I just got two 69 fuel filler to do. One of them has a spring in it. Anybody else have this spring?
index.php

here is a quick visual of the different years, left is 67/68, right is 69/70 and below is 65/66
index.php

index.php

Yep....anti siphoning spring......guess we will now see your real skills....lol. See which is more important to the owner, spilling or siphoning...

"ko67" said:
what is the current diameter of the hole you use now? I was going to spend some time on the lathe and mill this weekend making the "watchmaker version" of the filler mod.

Well, as promised, I spent some time with my watchmaking machinery making my own version of Craig's brilliant fuel filler mod. First pic shows the filler on the mill with a rotary table. I could then advance the filler into a high speed slotting saw. I cut two parallel slots in the filler and then separated the kerf to make a very precise slot in the filler. I then took a large steel fender washer that is about 1/8 inch thick and faced it down in the lathe and turned and trued the outer diameter to match the inner diameter of the filler. I then turned the inner diameter to the right size. I positioned it in the slot and brazed it in. I do not have welding equipment, so I used the silver alloy brazing rods that watchmakers use to repair watch cases. I probably have the only fuel filler that has $5 worth of silver in it.... The final pic is the outside of the filler, ready for priming and painting.

This was a fun project, but it is a pain trying to adapt watchmaking tools and technology to a car part. It would have turned out just as good with a sawzall and a welder with 10% of the effort, but I do the best I can with what I have. I will ever make another one of these, at least not with watchmaking tools

Just read thru all this. Great idea Craig, I think I'll send mine to you next if your up to it :craz
Bill

okay, last week or so I made the first 69 neck for Doug. Made another for Tom, aka SAC69 that has the no siphon spring in it. and another 67 for Jeff aka RestoMod67 (I think that's right.

it is tapered progressively smaller to a point. That prevents someone from being able to stick a hose down into the tank.
**edit**
your fast Frank! we were typing at the same time!

Back