• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

"tarafied1" said:
oh bummer! That is a deflector that is supposed to be behind the drain hole so gas can't splash back thru the 1/8 inch hole. I'm glad it didn't fall off before you installed it. I usually check those with the pliers to make sure it's solid. Let me know if it's a problem for you.

I will be doing tighter quality control on those for sure!
Thanks for letting me know about it. I'm sorry.

I'm confused (or either old and forgetful). Wasn't this anti-splashback feature the whole reason for this modification?

Midlife, you's is getting old alright!!

They're yakkin about the very small deflector plate that sits behind the 1/8" hole of the anti splashback plate. Personally, I would have wanted that small plate in there, but I'm so ANAL !!!!

hey craig,
i'm still getting some splashback thru the 1/8 hole. i've tried different angles to the nozzle and i'm getting a decent amount of flow coming thru the hole and back out....even when i try to regulate the amount of flow. am i missing something? would it be worth it to put one of those tabs in?

i thought it may be the pop-open cap preventing me from getting the proper angle, but sac69 didn't have any problems with his pop-open cap, so i'm scratchin' my head.
thanks, jeff

That sounds odd. I have not seen that unless the interior of the hose is reduced or the flow in from the pump is extremely strong. It sounds like the tank is venting higher pressure that normal when filling.

Have you tried other stations?

That tab is mainly for splash when driving..........I think.

If the nozzle ends too close to the plate it could be the cause of fuel coming out the vent. I put the tab about a 1/2" from the plate hoping the nozzle would still extend past it and block fuel from accelerating as Pete says. Is yours one I made before the tab feature? and what year? The 69/70's have the most severe angle.

I just checked my filler and it has the anti-splash tab behind the washer. I've gassed up approx 3-6 times since the install (have not filled it fully though) and it works great. The first time there was minimal seepage, but none since then. Thanks again for the neck.

Maybe "67resto-coupe" had the nozzle pointed slightly at the tab, thus shooting gas backwards thru the hole.

Thanks for the feedback. I just made 3 more today and should ship them out tomorrow. I actually had my son helping. His welding is better and looks better than mine. I think he just got a new job!

Craig,

I'm a bit late in responding, but THANKS! I received my modified filler a couple weeks ago. I installed it and went to the gas station. Maybe the nozzles in Seattle are different (which is possible I guess), but I wasn't able to insert the nozzle and walk away. It felt like I could insert the nozzle thru the hole in the plate you installed, but the lip of the filler tube didn't engage the nozzle retention "lip". No worries thought, I never would think of walking away. I inserted the nozzle, pulled the handle, and let it fill. The nozzle cut off the flow perfectly. No splash back, and no overfilling. The filler tube with the mod works great.

Thanks!
Henry

I so want one of these!

DSCF1230.jpg

I thought I'd post some final notes about my modified filler. I still had some fuel spilling out at times. Then I read a thread on VMF about someone who installed a vent from the tank to the top of the filler. I didn't do that, but someone else mentioned that he had good luck just barely inserting the nozzle into the filler. I've tried that trick for several fill-ups now and it's worked really well every time. I put the nozzle about an inch inside the restrictor and aim it downward.

Frank

Frank,
Yes the key is to point it downward as much as possible so you are not blasting against the back of the throat so much. I changed the bend in my filler neck making it straighter (similar to a 65/66 neck). Because of this I could not use the restrictor design. I also vented the tank to the neck as you mentioned. Works like a champ.

After a few warm days, I started to notice a gas smell in my car. I thought it was perhaps just fuel from the carb after shutdown. I checked all over for any signs of a fuel leak. None found. The last place to look was the modified fuel filler neck. I turned off my garage lights, and used a strong flash light. I stared down the fuel neck, while lighting up the fuel neck inside the trunk. I saw a small light leak into the filler. I found my leak. The welded in plate had a small burn thru was allowing fuel vapors to fill my trunk as the temperatures fluctuated. I put some tape over the area until I am able to get it fixed (rewelded?). I guess this is just a heads up. Fuel vapors can be a very bad thing. Unless the tank is full, the cooling/heating cycles can pump out significant fuel vapor volumes.

Henry

"Indycanard" said:
After a few warm days, I started to notice a gas smell in my car. I thought it was perhaps just fuel from the carb after shutdown. I checked all over for any signs of a fuel leak. None found. The last place to look was the modified fuel filler neck. I turned off my garage lights, and used a strong flash light. I stared down the fuel neck, while lighting up the fuel neck inside the trunk. I saw a small light leak into the filler. I found my leak. The welded in plate had a small burn thru was allowing fuel vapors to fill my trunk as the temperatures fluctuated. I put some tape over the area until I am able to get it fixed (rewelded?). I guess this is just a heads up. Fuel vapors can be a very bad thing. Unless the tank is full, the cooling/heating cycles can pump out significant fuel vapor volumes.

Henry

I took me almost a year, but I took out my filler tube this past weekend for the permanent fix. I went into my hall closet (real dark) and shined a flashlight inside the filler. I had three perferations thru the wall. It wasn't burn thru, but excessive grinding to smooth out the exterior side of the weld. I welded up the three holes, carefully blended out the exterior again. Checking once again with the light showed all was fixed. After reinstallation, all was good. Vapors have been contained.

Back