• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gertrude runs again!!!!!! now w/video!

Re: Gertrude runs again!!!!!!

Congratulations! :yah That is one of the best days in a vintage mustang owners life, when a fresh build engine starts up and your heart leaps a little on the inside! :bowdown

Now we have to get up a betting pool on how long before you get your first...ahem...Speeding Ticket! :thu

Way to go, Kat! Good job!

Awesome. Wish I was saying the same on my engine right now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Running open headers and holy cow... I think people 4 blocks away heard it. LOL I'm all giggling like a little kid at Christmas...she starts!!!!!! :yah

Congratulations and like that old commercial said............

Oh what a feeling.

Kat,
No matter how much kidding (grief) we give you, this probably one time that you deserve a big congrats,,,,,, period. Good job for getting Gert back up and running.

WTG Kat!! Now, go get some audio/video of the open headers.

"silverblueBP" said:
WTG Kat!! Now, go get some audio/video of the open headers.

I'm waiting for the video. The couple that came over to help with the headers (car club folks), the wife brought her camera. She's going to email me the video of first start up and then I'll post it.

It didn't take too long to get the headers on. We unbolted one of the motor mounts, jacked up one side of the motor and slid the headers on, repeat on the other side. It took longer to figure out the firing order and why it was different than the diagram for a 302 in my haynes book. Get this... it had firing order for a 351! :wtf I have a 302, or so I was told. Interesting. So I started questioning if I do have a 302 or if I was told wrong and actually have a 351. A phone call later...we figured it out. It looks like I have a 351 cam and that's why the firing order was for that. Now I know what cam I have. Mystery solved!

Today started out really crappy too. I was debating on whether or not to sell Gert. I have no job anymore as of Friday (no profit coming in so couldn't afford to keep me working there), so I started feeling upset because that means no play money to build Gertrude. So I called up a lady friend in my car club (she has a 79 camaro - we like to called ourselves the She-Beasts because we're the only 2 ladies who build our own cars) and she and her husband came over and helped get the headers in and get it started.

Sitting in Gert, listening to her run was just what I needed to lift my spirits. Yeah it sucks with no extra money to put her back together with, but oh well. It's just going to take longer and a lot of patience to get her finished.

Nothing abnormal about having the 351 F.O. Kat, my 289 has it.

IMG_0103Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

It might be a 351, but I think the cam determines the firing order. Also if you have a "roller cam" motor or not. You probably already knew this, I am just throwing it out there just in case. Yeah, go ahead and hit me... :char

The firing order is that way because you have a late model H.O. engine. All H.O. engines have that firing order, which as you found out, is the same as a 351.

Congratulations!

Doug

That's pretty funny Kat. It's always great to fire up a new engine! I'd post up some video of mine from back in 03 if it wasn't packed away somewhere. I was jumping for joy in that one.

Big CONGRATS Kat!! :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu

Why'd you cover your ears?! That's beautiful music!!!

You'll be doing this: :steer soon enough.

Back