• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Going to take a hammer to Gertrude...

"Kats66Pny" said:
Thanks guys. I thought about asking Texas folks for help, but I didn't want to burden anyone with my stang problems. Ya'll have your own projects to work on. Don't need to work on someone else's project. :craz

Then you haven't quite figured us out yet!!

Dang girl......look at all the comments....not just Texas....but everywhere. This place is all about helping each other, be it cars, pets, relationships, or just to BS. We are just waiting for YOU to get it in gear and start working on that car and stop trying to get out of working on it......

If it weren't for someone else's project/hobby, we all would be bored.

Hey....we are men...well, there are a few in question.

Take Craig for example. I don't think he's worked on Shag yet. He just has his NorCal cronies do the work for him while he prances the JohnPro doll around taking pictures :lol :lol

If you were in IL I'd come and help out. Tex is a bit of a drive for me unfortunately

Another idea kat is to make a list, actually two lists. A list of what MUST be fixed and a list of what you would like to fix. Anything safety related should be on the MUST fix list. Look on here, ask advice but also look at some of the mustang magazine websites, they have TONs of "how to" articles. Flip through them, find the ones that are cheap and can be done in a few hours. Enjoy working on the car. Sure, your in Texas and its hotter than HE77.....wait a moth or so. I've seen two posts today where one guy has offered you a MC and another a steering wheel. Jump on the offers, make the upgrades and get the car to where you can enjoy it. Sure, its a *#&(*@ to turn, so get on the highway and drive it in a straight line....enjoy what you have. Set small goals that coincide with your time and budget. If a deal comes along that makes sense, take it, if not keep the car you wanted at one point and get it to where you can enjoy it. I'll get off my soapbox now......

To be totally honest, I enjoyed my car more when I was building it than now that its "done"....

And I only surf the thong thread when people dont post pictures in the new threads.... I'm a visual kinda guy...

"Fast68back" said:
Another idea kat is to make a list, actually two lists. A list of what MUST be fixed and a list of what you would like to fix. Anything safety related should be on the MUST fix list. Look on here, ask advice but also look at some of the mustang magazine websites, they have TONs of "how to" articles. Flip through them, find the ones that are cheap and can be done in a few hours. Enjoy working on the car. Sure, your in Texas and its hotter than HE77.....wait a moth or so. I've seen two posts today where one guy has offered you a MC and another a steering wheel. Jump on the offers, make the upgrades and get the car to where you can enjoy it. Sure, its a *#&(*@ to turn, so get on the highway and drive it in a straight line....enjoy what you have. Set small goals that coincide with your time and budget. If a deal comes along that makes sense, take it, if not keep the car you wanted at one point and get it to where you can enjoy it. I'll get off my soapbox now......
Well sheesh :nk I'll take your advice and make a list as best as I can. The guy that offered the MC is part of the car club I joined so next time I see him, I'm going to ask him about it. Steering wheel from Mark, yeah, I'm going to look into that. I can only guess the steering column is the original in my 66. I know I have small little aftermarket GT steering wheel and I guess nothing would need to be fixed other than just removing it and replacing it with a stock 66 wheel?

To be totally honest, I enjoyed my car more when I was building it than now that its "done"....
You can have my 66 and work on it and I'll take your pretty fastback. :lol

Got a link to that thong thread?
It's in the password protected area :craz

Kat, take a lot of pictures of the car, digital camera, crappy cell phone pics, they will help us to help you. Post a picture of the interior and we would be able to tell about the steering column. If your looking for stuff (parts), ask in the wanted section. Most of the people on the boards are just happy to get stuff out of the way and are willing to let old parts go for next to nothing or just for the cost of shipping. Also, keep an eye on CL, some people think the parts are gold, but some are just looking to clean out the garage/storage unit. You may not find exactly what you want, but it may get you something to hold you over until the Marine Corps steps up, or you get a tax return, or sell some parts, or sell a limb.....

Good article on steering columns, might be a good palce to start...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1004_virgina_classic_mustang_steering_column_rebuild/index.html

BTW- It took me 7 years from when I got my car before I drove it down the road, and without the help of some of the great people on this site it would probably still be sitting in the garage on jack stands.

"buening" said:
Got a link to that thong thread? :craz

You have been here sinc Aug. and never found the thong thread? Just for that, I think I will post some more....... :lol

"Fast68back" said:
BTW- It took me 7 years from when I got my car before I drove it down the road

Now I feel a whole lot better about my car's status. Proof positive that this group helps out in all kinds of ways!

"Havok1" said:
Your car looks very similar to mine when my wife said "I'll buy it unseen." I came across lots of PO issues and some that were just par for the course with at 40+ year old car.

I couldn't agree more. Things such as changing the steering wheel are pretty simple fixes.

I had never used a welder in my life until I bought a classic Stang. It's not hard to learn and you might actually enjoy it, I do. Through the local car club I met my buddy that runs a restoration shop. I told him I'd pay him full price to help me replace my floor pans but the catch was I was taking a couple of days off to do most of it myself with his supervision. Worked out pretty well and I learned how to use a welder.

Replacing the battery tray, fender apron and radiator support is not really all that hard. I read an article on Mustang Monthly then did it myself in my garage. Really not much welding to it other than some spot welds.

One thing I noticed is it appears in the pictures the export brace has been removed from the shock towers, might have just been missing in the one picture..... Not sure I'd drive it until those braces were installed.

I haven't even made it to the password forum. My virgin eyes may not be able to handle it
If I can handle it, I'm sure you can!

One thing I noticed is it appears in the pictures the export brace has been removed from the shock towers, might have just been missing in the one picture..... Not sure I'd drive it until those braces were installed.
You're correct. There is no export brace.

Post a picture of the interior and we would be able to tell about the steering column.
Couple large pictures of the column. Pay no attention to the horn that the PO duct taped to it.

That's a stock column. Worse case you need to pick up a couple of the mounting pieces, etc. NPD will have everything you need. Shouldn't be much $. Given the high level of skill the PO obviously had I am sure you will do a better job than he.

Yep....looks like a stock column.

"buening" said:
I haven't even made it to the password forum. My virgin eyes may not be able to handle it :headac :lol
Just added a few more for you to miss......lol

Took me 5 years on the last one I did in Az., took me two weeks on the current one...... :lol :lol :lol :$$$

View Inventory
Send Money to Kats66Pny

Re: Going to take a hammer to Gertrude...
« Reply #2 on: July, 27, 2010, 09:52:09 PM » Reply Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oops sorry. Registered members area...

Basically its a thread about the guy who came over and looked at my 66 the other night.
Here's what was said if you don't want to register just to read it.

---------------
About to go check this out

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/ct ... 32133.html

I know it sounds like a dumb [beep] in the ad but i called the number and its a chicks car. They just moved here from outta state and shes looking at something else to buy.....we shall see

--------------
DO IT NUKKA!!.........if u DO do it, let me know fool imma come check this bish out

-------------
Sounds like a nice car, haven't seen it in person, but has some nice mods already done. Chad and yourself could get that ol pony in tip top shape in a couple weekends!

-------------
(guy who looked at it)
Not to be mean but that cars not anything worth close to that. Bondo everywere....

-------------
(guy who gave him a ride to my house)
+1, I had hell finding metal on it.....

----------------
oh wow, that sucks. Now I know why it's so cheap.

----------------
(guy who looked at it)
Needs alot of work. Someone strip it to race jerry rigged everything. No lie you had to open the door before the horn would work. Its been sprayed also. Trans lines laying on sway bar, diamond plate screw to the floor boards to cover holes. Car had one spark plug wire off when i popped the hood, guess the last person to look at it was trying to screw someone over..idk

Who ever said ebonics was just a trend.....

" No lie you had to open the door before the horn would work."

I gotta ask about this statement the guy that looked at it made.......does that mean you need some elec. work?

Back