• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Going to take a hammer to Gertrude...

Believe it or not Kat, the reason a lot of the guys with "finished" cars hang out on the sites like this is because they like to help and offer advice to others. That and we have no life.....

Yeah it's like an online "Cheers". It's just there are way too many Cliffs.

"Fast68back" said:
Believe it or not Kat, the reason a lot of the guys with "finished" cars hang out on the sites like this is because they like to help and offer advice to others. That and we have no life.....
....and to laugh at Mark.

The cluster I got is that one minus the aluminum panel. Keeping mine black. I needed to buy a Tach, speedo, and fuel gauge and the basic panel to fill one out with the gauges I have. At that deal, I was less that 80 away from the new panel setup and wired. Real good deal.

Don't let anyone scare you.....these guys on here are just afraid they might let the smoke out if they work on a harness. I happen to know that Midlife adds a bit of extra sealant on the smoke container to keep it in for the unsure. You can change it real easy.

Anyway, post a list of things you need. Most will show up as a good deal.

Hey, I got a life......new cluster, seats, wiper switch, fog light switch, alignment, and beer to take care of and still keep in driving every day.......prolly do most of it at Mids....... :lol

"70 StangMan" said:
I resemble that remark. :pbj

Anyone else picturing him doing the 'Quagmire'?
familyguy_quagmire.gif

"Fast68back" said:
To be totally honest, I enjoyed my car more when I was building it than now that its "done"....

Dude, I am SO with you... hence why I jumped in on another build.

"AzPete" said:
Don't let anyone scare you.....these guys on here are just afraid they might let the smoke out if they work on a harness. I happen to know that Midlife adds a bit of extra sealant on the smoke container to keep it in for the unsure. You can change it real easy.

I didn't find the under dash harness to be difficult and I am no electrical engineer. What I did with mine was lay it out on the work bench and started labeling everything and made sure I knew where every wire went prior to actually putting it in the car. Some of the wires I knew off the top of my head, some I looked up in the electrical assembly manual and the few strays I just took a picture of them and sent the pictures to Midlife and asked him where the heck they went.

Sorry for get'n yer hopes up, as usual my memory has failed me. I have a lot of parts still in the barn, but the wheel is gone. must have sold it (or given it away) when I moved to Oregon back in 04.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I figured ya'll out.. bunch of horn dog men. :craz Yeah, I've seen that thong thread! :lol

Damn...how did you figure me out so quickly? *G*

OK, Kat...time to be serious.

When I started in 1998, I knew nothing except how to change the oil and the air filter. I got onto the Internet and saw the amazing work that normal Joe's were doing. Were they professionals? No...just hobbyists. Well damn...if they could do it, why couldn't I? So I started tinkering on the little stuff, learning along the way. I had the car repainted for big bucks, and it went bad in 1.5 years. Damn!

When I moved to Florida, I broke a grease zerk on a upper control arm. To fix it, you have to remove the coil, the UCA, and screw in a $.98 part. That's when I saw that the frame rail had rusted through. Hmmm...further inspection showed that the Previous Owner had applied thick undercoating on the underbody. By poking around, I found that about 30% of the underbody was patched with thin aluminum sheeting with rivets. Not good, when everything needs to be structurally sound for the unibody frame.

I then tore the car completely apart, learned how to weld, form sheet metal, do everything myself, and restored the car back to near concours condition. What I found is that simple knowledge and skills (learned from others via these forums) goes a long ways towards restoration. I found that the only thing I couldn't do well was paint. So...I had the car repainted again.

5 years later, the car turned out magnificent, and is too pretty to drive everyday like AZPete's cars. Yet I learned so much that I'm applying that knowledge to household repairs and even work activities.

So...if your car is anything like Mid was in 1998, and it appears about in the same condition, you can do it! It will take time, patience, and a lot of band-aids (I find used motor oil an excellent sealer for cuts), but you CAN DO IT.

So quit whining and get busy! You have a great vehicle to start on and learn upon. DO IT!

"silverblueBP" said:
I'd swear Mid just gave Pete a smackdown :nk

He will have no idea what is in the beer....or when.......... :sur

He drives his 1500 miles a year if the weather permits......no, wait, that is if his wife permits...... I did 11,000 in 20 months on the last car.

"Midlife" said:
My car is still prettier than yours...just saying! :10

Most garage queens are........but more people know I own a '66 Mustang......... :coo

"AzPete" said:
Most garage queens are........but more people know I own a '66 Mustang......... :coo

:pop :lol

Sorry for get'n yer hopes up, as usual my memory has failed me. I have a lot of parts still in the barn, but the wheel is gone. must have sold it (or given it away) when I moved to Oregon back in 04.
It's ok. Thanks for the offer though!

Anyone in Texas ever been to the Giddings swap meet? http://www.giddingsswapmeet.com
I was going to try and go and see if I could find any cheap deals for parts.

Back