• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Going to take a hammer to Gertrude...

I think it's all been said already but we all enjoy tinkering. I have been working on mine 20 years and while I can drive it, it will never be "finished". We all get discouraged with projects. No time, no money, overwhelming to do list, etc. I wish I could come over and help but it's too far from KY. I have two buddies with Mustangs and we take turns helping each other out. I am rebuilding the entire drivetrain for a 65 in my spare time in trade for some help working on my house. I buy parts all the time and trade for stuff. I'll try to help with any parts you need. In fact I have some horns for a 68 you can have. I'm buying the 67 from janschutz so I will have more parts soon. I want to build the StangFix drag car too so I may be asking if you want to trade some of your race stuff...
anyway, hang in there, keep your price firm and start fixing what you can. You may end up enjoying the car and decide to keep it!

The guy who came to look at it replied. Here is what he had to say.

"Me and the father in law came and looked at it the other night. Im sure you remember us. I dont want you to take offense to this, like Sam said its worth what you want to the right person. The bondo was on the fenders b-pillar, a-piller. ect. When looking for crappy body work, especially on classis, look around any sharp corners.

Say like the front fender where the headlight is. Most the time in places like this the bondo cracks and chips cause crappy prep and/or to much. Im not bashing you at all, mainly the previous owner. But it sucks to see were someone instead of saving the car they destroy it. The pros to the car is the motor is clean and runs great. Sounds like a lettered cam, more than likely and e-cam. You should pull the valve covers and check if its got roller rockers. Easy and another plus. :)"

Interesting email I just got about my 66. A guy wanting to trade guns for it. :amaz

I am possibly interested in trading my Guns listed below for your 1966 Mustang.

If you are also interested, please email me back at XXXXXX. I can also be reached on my cell phone XXXXXX...Houston, Texas.

Please email me some details about your classic car and some more pictures too!!!!....Thanks

Here's the Breakdown on each gun as follows: (My wife bought most of these new as Xmas gifts for me the last 1-5 years and everything is Legal as the necessary/required paperwork for registration was completed at the place and time of purchase (Academy, Walmart, etc.) as required by Law....I will provide serial numbers for each gun on Bill of Sale/Trade.

(1) Thompson Center (Triumph) .50 cal magnum muzzleloader with camo stock...New
(2) Ruger 22/22Mag Model Six Revolver with 6 inch Stainless Steel Barrel
(3) Remington Model 700 (BDL) Rifle Cal. .243 w/ Simmons scope.....Almost New Condition
(4) Marlin Model 336C....30/30 Cal.....New...shot only few times...Nice gun
(5) Sears,Roebuck & Co. Model 200 (Really Winchester 1200) - 12 Ga. Shotgun (Ted Williams Signature Series)
(6) Ruger .44 Mag Super Redhawk Revolver Pistol with 9 inch Stainless Steel Barrel
(7) Remington Model 700 Cal. 30-06 with synthetic stock and Stainless Steel Barrel....with NIKON Scope

*** All rifles and muzzleloader come with good soft carrying cases and I have ammunition for rifles/shotgun/pistol and black powder box with accessories/ammunition for T/C .50 Cal muzzleloader *** Both Ruger pistols come with holster and hard case ***

Picture of Guns available upon request

Thanks and I look forward to talking with you soon!

But ya can't drive them.......

I think ya otta just keep the car and get it fixed up StangFix style......then run a logo on the sides to advertise.

That guy is on crack. Sounds like an alphabet cam? It's near to impossible to pick out a particular cam by the sound. His whining on about how to detect crappy body work and bondo, etc, etc, sound like it's 75% BS to me.

"I don't want you to take offense to this" Niice. Real classy! :lol

"AzPete" said:
I think ya otta just keep the car and get it fixed up StangFix style......then run a logo on the sides to advertise.

:lol :lol :lol

As for the guy. The more he's posting in response to my questions, he doesn't seem like too much of a prick. He just replied.

"If i was you i would go ahead and change the bumbers and install the carpet you have. It would make the car look alot better. Also maybe try to wax it and bring what clear is on it out. Also take the crappy purge line from the nitrous selonoid out the cowl vent. Apperance and neatness goes along way. With just fixing things that are free and take little time can pay off hundreds and sometimes maybe a thousand on the selling price. Maybe one weekend after Sams car is done we can have a club meet and work on that thing...the car that is ;)"

It's also not impossible to get local folks to help you out.

My buddy I've known since high school came over and helped me when I needed to lug the old tranny out of my car and lift the new one up in there.

I am going over to a different buddy's house this Sunday. He's doing a project on a truck and needs help lifting the bed off.

Helping others with projects is great when you don't have a project of your own. You get to work on a project but don't have to fork out the cash for parts...kind of a win / win.

Just wish I knew more local folks that had projects going on.

A friend from Aikido told me his parents have an old Mustang that's been sitting in their garage for years. I am trying to convince him to get it here and we can get it running again. I think his wife is looking to put a contract on me, LOL!

"RustyRed" said:
It's also not impossible to get local folks to help you out.

That's one of the biggest things (OK probably 'bout the only thing) that I miss from having to leave Sacramento. The mustang crowd down there is a good group of guys. There's not as much of a local mustang presence up here in Redding. You'd be surprised with the amount of help that you can get to get your mustang on the road again.

"tarafied1" said:
I'm buying the 67 from janschutz so I will have more parts soon. I want to build the StangFix drag car too so I may be asking if you want to trade some of your race stuff...

Lets do a get together when you come to pick up the car, I'm not far from John. I'm sure I have a couple Stangfix shirts laying around for your pit crew...

Kat, I prefer an isle seat, say row 3-4.....if you want to fly me down to help tear into that beast of yours.

boratKat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, he's harmless out there on the left coast. If he ever tries to come east we should probably rethink it though.

"cmayna" said:
Kat, I prefer an isle seat, say row 3-4.....if you want to fly me down to help tear into that beast of yours.

boratKat.jpg

I am pretty sure I would have preferred to gouge out my own eyes prior to scrolling down far enough to see the picture if I'd had a bit of warning...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fast68back" said:
Lets do a get together when you come to pick up the car, I'm not far from John. I'm sure I have a couple Stangfix shirts laying around for your pit crew...
sure thing! I need someone to make sure the tailgate is closed!

Learned something new this morning. Gertrude has roller rockers! I have no idea what that means, but I was told it's a good thing. :lol

"Kats66Pny" said:
Learned something new this morning. Gertrude has roller rockers! I have no idea what that means, but I was told it's a good thing. :lol
Roller rockers reduce friction by having the fulcrum pivot on "bearings" rather than slide on on a sphere or rounded surface. This also adds to stability of the the valvetrain which is opening and closing twice the amount of the engine rpm's. It is a sign that the engine has some high performance goodies inside as well, like a cam designed to make power at higher rpm's. Hopefully the PO knew more about building engines than he did about wiring horns!

Back