• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Got to love Craigslist!

Rule #1 - the rust you can see will be about 10% of the rust you cant see.
I would take it on, but i dont think its for you - far far far far too much work

Heck its fine with a $30k make over....no problem.

If you don't have $30k laying around then I say don't bother. :sarc

As Monty Python says, "Run away, Run awya, Run away!" Also that car is for the "Bring out your dead!" cart.

You would need loads more cash to fix that then Gert.

Besides we have enough FBs on this forum!

Seriously, there are some real issues with that car.

If he wanted an even trade and you keep the engine and trans from Gert, then maybe.

Mel

I went to the car meet tonight and talked with the guy who owns the King Cobra I posted. Get a load of this. The owner of this Mach has a 67? Fastback at classicdoug's shop that's being fixed up. Well he and Doug were talking about the Mach and how I called I guess.... and I guess the mach owner told Doug the Mach 1 is junk from the floors up and he only paid like $1000 for it. And I learned it had been sitting in mud for years. :hide

Knowledge is power, right? Look aty all you've learned since you got your 66! :bowdown

Yours at least runs and drives (potentially). This one isn't going anywhere soon. All your 66 needs is brakes, right? Or have I missed something else? Buy a cowl cover for the rain, drive the snot out of it!!

it's a buyers market, patience could allow you time buy you a much nicer car that you could get in and enjoy immediately! I bought my coupe as a project~ something to do. What you missed out on was AZPete's stang! I'd sell Gert for what I could get(not much now) and get something you can enjoy right away! and parting out is a PITA!!
HOWEVER~ a friend nearby working on his '66 was making no progress until I went over and welded in his floor pans, in a couple weeks he had his stang on the ground and running! Install the cowl assembly and you'll get back on course~ that is a major undertaking, but you have your motor out and the cowl job is just staring you in the face! "Fix me, fix me" it's saying, "don't give up on me!!" ; )

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2212686927.html

Yep....but had minor issues.....I think some water/oil mixing but would have to find that post to be sure.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2212686927.html

OOh sexy!! :wor

but the engine ran when it was pulled, right?

Yes, it ran. The only reason I stopped driving it and started taking it apart was the MC went out and I figured that was a hint to change to dual MC and start fixing the things that needed fixing to get her back on the road - change the MC, Cowl Vent, new windshield.

"AzPete" said:
Yep....but had minor issues.....I think some water/oil mixing but would have to find that post to be sure.
OK, water oil mixing is a good reason to do a teardown... yeah

Kat,
My DD is a 93 Honda Civic with 230,000 miles that I bought a couple years ago for $800. Gets 34-38 mpg and has cold a/c. I have an airport lot/beater car that is a '93 Buick LeSabre that I paid $500 for, gets a good 25 mpg and has cold a/c. My wife drives a 2000 Lexus RX300 that we bought a couple years ago for about 9k. You should see a trend here. I honestly don't know what I have tied up in my Mustang, but I will say that I am quite content to drive an $800 Honda Civic to work if it is reliable and frees up the cash that would otherwise be spent on a car payment so that I can work on the Mustang.

If you are looking for a DD, and I'm assuming a DD means you will have a job, then you need something cheap and reliable, and in this case, reliability and cost will take priority over style. I look at reliability, cheapness, and style as 3 choices and you only get to pick 2 of them at a time.

Oh, and don't ask for pics of the Buick.

"sigtauenus" said:
I have an airport lot/beater car that is a '93 Buick LeSabre that I paid $500 for, gets a good 25 mpg and has cold a/c.
Funny. I thought I was the only one who had a car for airport duty. 90 Grand Am here. Anyone who parks in airport lots weekly should understand the need.

My DD is a 2002 SportTrak bought a little over a year ago. Last new car I bought for myself was my 2002 Roush. I can't see me ever buying another new car. We used to get new his and hers every couple years. I don't think there is a better way to waste cash than a new car. New to us now is something less than a year old that someone else has already taken the big hit on. It's not that we can't afford new, just know better.

I agree. I'd rather drive an el cheapo car and spend money on Gert than pay $400 a month on a new car which most of them I think are ugly these days :shrug with mustangs being the exception! There are tons of good used/older cars out there!

The only reason I have a DD car is to drive my daughter to school and pick her up. And even now, I don't NEED one because we live close enough my son walks to school and far enough that my daughter can ride the bus. I'm only being nice and driving her. LOL Not to mention she turns 16 here in a few weeks and will be driving herself! :pbj

That's why I was going to turn Gertie into my DD. I won't be driving all over the place every day. When my daughter starts driving, she can get her own butt to school and at most I might have to run to the store during the day, or go get my nails done or some other girly $h!t... so it's really no biggy if I don't have a 100% reliable car. My daughter though, we will get her a reliable, safe car. She may not like what we pick out though!

So Kat~ what's your plan? How does your husband feel about what's going on? in the meantime, make a plan, stick to it to some degree.

I know for the money, time, I spent on ' Wingnut', I could have bought a REALLY nice already restored whatever car I'd wanted! lol I did get to a point several times, someone finish for me!! Mainly my body was giving me a tough time(back/neck), kind of why Pete sold his pride n joy! (a healthproblem can ruin the fun for sure!) These "projects" are just meant to be that, "Long Term Projects" of course depending on how much work they need and how much money you have available taken into account(or Taken out of the account! lol), and you will never get back what you've vested into it, notice I didn't use the word "invested" unless you kept the car for another 40 years, then maybe it would have been an investment.

I didn't do anything with my Cowls, but they weren't in need of fixin, plus my stang will probably never see a rainy day as long as I own it. I would have just bought the cowl covers for your stang, patched, get it going, an Earl Shibe paint job, have fun! my stang has a ridiculous amount of money in it as so do others here. Looking to obtain a "show car" is probably out of the question, all these classics are headturners~ people notice them regardless of what shape they're in!
I'm going to work on my '57 today, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it! :yah

I wonder what his idea of 'minimal rust' is?
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2225466872.html

or this one and it's 'little rust'!
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2225081231.html

This one looks pretty interesting!!! Sounds as if he did the body work and all the hard stuff and now it's just a matter of piecing the car back together. I don't need the motor and tranny, but it comes with a welding machine!! LOL
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2224791895.html

of course for a little less you got this one. Check out that paint job! That would turn some heads! :beer
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2222302030.html

So Kat~ what's your plan? How does your husband feel about what's going on? in the meantime, make a plan, stick to it to some degree.

It was my husbands idea, as well as a few car club guys who've seen Gert and what shape she's really in, to find a different mustang in need of less repairs than Gert. They all brought it up about maybe finding a shell that has body work done and use Gert as a parts car to rebuild the shell. I figure since these guys have restored cars from the ground up, they have a better idea of how/what to spend $ on that I do. Hubby is the one who said he'd rather spend $ on something worth it - fastback, Mach, Boss, stuff besides a 'boring coupe' as he calls Gertie. It was also his idea to get me a different car and sell my Sebring.

Back