• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

I've been very busy...
e5uteraq.jpg

The interior is moving ahead after test fitting and redrilling many of the mounting holes for the rear panels. Then I took them all out and resprayed them before permanently fitting them. (I am obviously going to recover the back seats)

The electrics are getting there.

bu6aravu.jpg

I have also run all my sound system cables and now have ignition system, starter and lights all figured out...Getting VERY close to starting her up.

Got my vent window frames back from the chrome shop and have started building them up.
8ybyse3u.jpg

Mounted central locking, aux power supply and all centre console electrics done.
emebe8yn.jpg

9y6a7uqy.jpg

y5u7u3yp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Johnny M" said:
Craig,
What boot did you use?

Johnny, the boot in the pic showing gtscode's bezel is a standard rubber stock boot. I made my own out of

REAL LEATHA' (Leather)

"gtscode" said:
The stock rubber boot fit just fine and looks good to me.

I ordered a stock rubber one and i also found a place that will make me one up in leather for $20....i will try both.

Re: Re: Johnny M - E-car build tread

"Johnny M" said:
I ordered a stock rubber one and i also found a place that will make me one up in leather for $20....i will try both.

Guess it depends on what your fetish is. O0C:)

Door grommets..."can't take long"

Drill out hinge locating rivets, remove door, drill holes, rehang door, reset door, adjust door.....2.5 hours later, one door done.

where's my "That was easy" button

zu5aguje.jpg

"Johnny M" said:

When Barb is done with fishing season I might ask her to sew me one! J/k

"Johnny M" said:

Drill out hinge locating rivets, remove door, drill holes, rehang door, reset door, adjust door.....2.5 hours later, one door done.

That's where a nice right angle drill and a short step bit come in real handy.

"Johnny M" said:

zu5aguje.jpg

You're welcome, for sending you an Easy button!

"Horseplay" said:
That's where a nice right angle drill and a short step bit come in real handy.

I did consider that option but the door was obstructing me from drilling into the body even with a right angle attachment.

"silverblueBP" said:
You're welcome, for sending you an Easy button!

A huge thank you Mark....every workshop should have one.

Rad hoses arrived to add to my S&M dungeon.

aqamu2at.jpg

Some cutting down to be done once I get my rad mounted.

Got the window trim done on the passenger side. One of the guys that did the paint work helped me out with it and brought along an air powered rivet gun. A seriously handy tool. Perfect rivets popped with ease every time. No wobbly rivet gun bouncing around the place.

enaqu8ev.jpg

adutu8ad.jpg

I haven't given out an "atta boy" in a few months so here you go. "ATTA BOY!" that is some fine work. Very impressive.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
I haven't given out an "atta boy" in a few months so here you go. "ATTA BOY!" that is some fine work. Very impressive.

Appreciate it...thanks

One vent window complete and ready to install.

e4y9epyd.jpg

Exhaust and rad mounting today...
9u7u2yqy.jpg

Welded and painted
zubutepu.jpg

Per-install painting

I am the furthest from an Eleanor fan, but a huge fan of the work, effort and craftsmanship of your build Johnny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Fast68back" said:
I am the furthest from an Eleanor fan, but a huge fan of the work, effort and craftsmanship of your build Johnny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. It means a lot to hear that from you.

I plan to start up the motor this week and play "spot the leak"

Found the seat belt mounts and test fitted one of the out of date Simpson harnesses I got on EBay. I am not happy with them(They look ok in the pics but they are a little scruffy up close) so plan to change them to the Simspon D3 model which should be more suited to a road car.
zypu2e8u.jpg

Here is a link to the D3 belts. I like them because the shoulder and lap belts are linked which makes buckling up far easier than the 5 point set up. (and they are only $140 each instead of $270 each).

photo-2_zps1133b096.jpg

photo-781442_zpsc1cf9a47.jpg

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/?main_page=product_info&cPath=585&products_id=10722

It only took me 3 weeks to decide on the colour....It was either platinum or black....decided on black.
Then another 2 weeks to decide if i should go with the the pockets on the shoulder straps or not(pic of platinum belts is with pockets, black belts is without)....Decided not to.

Now i just need to figure out if the stock size will suit my application or whether or not i need Simpson to make custom lengths for me.

Back