• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

Of course Johnny called me for some advise so I flew right over, looked at it, said "nice car" and flew back.
I offered to help but Johnny said "Hey don't touch my car".

"KBMWRS" said:
Of course Johnny called me for some advise so I flew right over, looked at it, said "nice car" and flew back.

Can you blame him??

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Glad to see you get her going. After you have done a few short drives, you may want to recheck all the bolts on the suspension and engine. I've always find a loose one after the first drive or two. It looks great and you have done a outstanding job on the build.

I honestly am surprised Jenny has not left me at this stage. I have spent a huge chunk of time on the stang in the last few months.

The only jobs left on the interior is to install passenger seat, glove box and put the gauge cluster fully home(I'll wait till i am happy everything is working 100%). Everything else is installed and working.
IMG_5961_zps2a1598be.jpg

I am having a fueling issue at the minute. I am running a Holley 750cfm 4 bbl carb with a holley 80 gph mech fuel pump but my pressure gauge on the fuel line is reading up to 10 psi (pump should self regulate to 7.5psi max) and the float bowl overflowed the other night. I am thinking the fuel pump(or the regulation part) must be broken. I have put an inline regulator in place for now but I either replace the pump or go electric.

Then the other issue i am having is starting when the engine is hot. The twin electric fans kick in and with them going and the starter motor there is two much draw on the battery and it struggles to start. I either have a manual fan override or install one of the High Torque starters that draw less current. Something like this http://www.powermasterperformance.co/item.php?item_id=238

I am looking for a good car toolkit for the trunk. No point in buying one over here as it will be metric. Any suggestions? Something with 1/4" ratchet, vise grips, screwdriver, 3-4 spanners.

"KBMWRS" said:

All jokes aside your advise was spot on....."The car will NOT be ready by 12th July" So, So true.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Glad to see you get her going. After you have done a few short drives, you may want to recheck all the bolts on the suspension and engine. I've always find a loose one after the first drive or two. It looks great and you have done a outstanding job on the build.

Thank you. Its been a really long journey and I am just glad that i will finally get to enjoy the car. Most people ask, "Would you do it again?" My answer is still "No" Everything seems to take x3-4 times to do and costs x3-4 times what i budget.

So last night myself and a mechanic buddy decided to give it another go... I got the inline filter in place and regulated the fuel pressure back to 6 PSI.

Then when we went to try and tune motor but something did not seem right....My buddy noticed that the motor was not running very smooth and suspected an air leak. He got the spray deodorant out and sprayed it at the base of the carb. The RPM jumped every time he sprayed, the carb seal was knackered. Sometimes it pays to have someone with knowledge/experience around.

So, we got a new gasket made up and mounted the carb back again then started to get the timing and idle set. We ran it for a few minutes but again something did not seem right. We then noticed that the primary jets were stuck open so it was overfueling. We took the front bowl off and the needle was jammed with crap. Cleaned it out and built it back then10 minutes later the same thing with the other bowl. We got both bowls/needles cleaned out and got it running smooth. We got it running pretty good and I couldn't resist taking it up the road to test it out.

I am delighted at how she is driving so far.

Time for a full bolt check, alignment then final assembly of front end, etc

Small Vid
http://youtu.be/RzGcZjB95Us

Johnny, For a tool kit, make one of some extra tools. If you don't have one or extra non metric wrenches, I'm sure a few of us locals can put one together for you. Remember, lot of black duct tape.

Nice video but way too short.

"cmayna" said:
Johnny, For a tool kit, make one of some extra tools. If you don't have one or extra non metric wrenches, I'm sure a few of us locals can put one together for you. Remember, lot of black duct tape.

Thanks Craig,
I was thinking about doing that but it is very difficult to buy individual imperial tools in this part of the world.

This is what i was thinking i need in a tool kit

1/2" Spanner
9/16" Spanner
3/8" Spanner
Small Vice Grips
Small Adjustable spanner
Flat and philips head screw driver (or a multi head one)
Small 1/4" socket set (up to 9/16")
Assorted Jubliee clips
Small can of WD40
Roll of gaffer tap.
A Few cable ties.

I have a torch on my iphone which i have with me all the time.

I could probably get most of the tools together but then how do i stop them rattling around in a toolbar/box.

Thats why i was thinking about something like this which i can add a few items to.

http://www.amazon.com/CruzTOOLS-RTH3-RoadTech-Standard-Tool/dp/B000WK3SWK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1377183460&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=CruzTOOLS+RTM3+RoadTech

"Johnny M" said:
"cmayna" said:

Thanks Craig,
I was thinking about doing that but it is very difficult to buy individual imperial tools in this part of the world.

This is what i was thinking i need in a tool kit

1/2" Spanner
9/16" Spanner
3/8" Spanner
Small Vice Grips
Small Adjustable spanner
Flat and philips head screw driver (or a multi head one)
Small 1/4" socket set (up to 9/16")
Assorted Jubliee clips
Small can of WD40
Roll of gaffer tap.
A Few cable ties.

I have a torch on my iphone which i have with me all the time.

I could probably get most of the tools together but then how do i stop them rattling around in a toolbar/box.

Thats why i was thinking about something like this which i can add a few items to.

http://www.amazon.com/CruzTOOLS-RTH3-RoadTech-Standard-Tool/dp/B000WK3SWK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1377183460&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=CruzTOOLS+RTM3+RoadTech
Yeah that tool kit is about 3 times the cost it should be for what is in it. Here is what I would pack.

Basic wrench (spanner...lol) set. 3/8" 7/16" 1/2" 9/16" 5/8" 3/4"
3/8" drive socket set (same sizes as wrenches)
Vise-Grip
Flat and Phillips screwdrivers
Knife (if you don't normally carry a pocket version)
If you have used an Allen head fasteners...an set of hex key (Allen head) wrenches
Electrical and Duct Tape
Tube of Permatex sealer or similar.

I'll get you one.....damn don't you have stores over there?

hehehehe

And be careful driving around that little town of yours. I hear some guy likes to drive his BMW on the 'right' side of the road.

"KBMWRS" said:
I'll get you one.....damn don't you have stores over there?

hehehehe

And be careful driving around that little town of yours. I hear some guy likes to drive his BMW on the 'right' side of the road.

We have stores but they just dont sell the things i want... Especially american tools and ex military tool bags.

HHAHAHA yea, i just took it for another 2 mile trip after a full nuts n'bolt check

"cmayna" said:
Or better yet, a black one to match the Mustang?

:thum

jyburave.jpg

And this would be perfect. Where do i get the Stangfix patch?

Back