• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

"Kats66Pny" said:
Why bother with a fender cover. There's already has dents and scratches and good chance fenders will be replaced. Now if the body work was done and nice paint job, then I'd care. :lol

No need to add more dents, dings, scratches, etc. To me your car appears to be a nice 15 footer. Don't make it a 20.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Why bother with a fender cover. There's already has dents and scratches and good chance fenders will be replaced. Now if the body work was done and nice paint job, then I'd care. :lol

If the fenders are in decent shape, it would be better to keep them instead of putting on a set of repop's. I got lucky with the one repop fender I bought, it fits ok. But when I go to get the car painted, that fender will need some massaging with a BFH.

I'm not sure how bad the fenders look under all the paint but I do know there's a lot of bondo on them, and not sure if that's hiding dents or rust. If I do have to replace them, I'm going to get some original ones from the Ford guy in town. He has some and said they are in decent shape, but they would need sanded and primered.

Get the fenders ASAP. they tend to go away!

And for goodness sake, at least use a moving pad on the fenders when you are working on it!

Mel

Today was like Christmas! :vic

Had a nice Saturday road trip down to Johns Mustang. I only went there to get some bumper bolts and brackets to put the new bumpers on, but I guess hubby was feeling generous because I also got a window regulator for the drivers window so now I can roll up ALL the windows, as well as a new inner fender apron, a bumper bar that was rotted and needed replaced AND new tail light bezels! :10

NewParts1.jpg

Figures the main thing I needed, the bumper bolts... well they were out of stock for 66 and were scheduled to have more in some time next week so no bolts for Gertrude. :cry I don't know if I should just wait until I can order some and have them shipped and drive around with no bumpers until then, or go to a hardware store and get some?

Last edited by a moderator:
After many curse words finally got all the bolts out. Had to run to Lowes to pick up a torch but money well spent. Got those bolts out with no problem.

Kind of nasty behind the the fender. :eek

683_05_09_10_3_47_34_0.JPG

What was this? Some kind of sealer/insulation? It feels like cloth and very brittle.
683_05_09_10_3_47_34_1.JPG

Found some rust holes at the top, near the cowl, as well as some lovely cobwebs and dead bugs.
683_05_09_10_3_47_34_2.JPG

More rust. Would this be easy to grind off and use some rust treatment/prevention? I really don't want to have to replace that whole piece.
683_05_09_10_3_47_34_3.JPG

Backside of the fender... yes the rocker panel is still attached. Screw wouldn't come out so I said heck with it.
There seems to be a square area (bottom right on the fender) that was patched. Not welded, but clearly not the same piece of metal. Maybe it was glued on with body adhesive or something.
683_05_09_10_3_47_35_4.JPG

Whole backside of the fender. Nasty and rusted.
683_05_09_10_3_48_24_0.JPG

Now on to the next step... repairing the inner fender apron!

Last edited by a moderator:
Relatively speaking, the rust you show is not bad at all. The back of the fender is normal, and can be cleaned up fairly easily with sanding or blasting, as can the side panel.

I'd worry more about the rust on the front from your other post where the nuts could not be loosened.

"Midlife" said:
Relatively speaking, the rust you show is not bad at all. The back of the fender is normal, and can be cleaned up fairly easily with sanding or blasting, as can the side panel.

I'd worry more about the rust on the front from your other post where the nuts could not be loosened.

Can I use the grinder and a wire wheel brush to clean up all the rusted areas? Then treat it with some rust stuff?

The grinder is too coarse; a wire wheel would work fine. I like roloc disks that you can find at a good paint store for removing paint and rust. They come in 2", 3" and sometimes a bit larger; the smaller sizes allow you to get into smaller areas: nooks and crannies.

Wire wheels shed metal slivers all over the place, and they tend to end up in the bottom of my feet, couches, and all sorts of stuff that you really don't want to deal with.

I might have to suffer and do it the hard way with a wire wheel then.... unless I can find someone who would be willing to deal with the hassle of coming over and blasting it.

Is it possible to rent the equipment needed to sand blast?
Should I clean up the rust area's first or put in the new apron section first?

"Kats66Pny" said:
I might have to suffer and do it the hard way with a wire wheel then.... unless I can find someone who would be willing to deal with the hassle of coming over and blasting it.

Is it possible to rent the equipment needed to sand blast?
Should I clean up the rust area's first or put in the new apron section first?

Clean up the rust first, put on new splash shields on the fender, then install new aprons, then re-fasten the fender.

Thanks. Question regarding rust prevention. Once I get it all sanded down and ready...

What should I use on the inside of the fender and wheel well area? Primer followed by some rubberzied coating spray?
What about the one little apron section in front of the door, before the wheel well?

For the best (and easiest) rust prevention is to sand it down and then apply Eastwood's Corroless paint. It is advertised as a rust-over-paint, but works just fine on bare metal. It is as hard as nails, and comes in either a rattle can or a paint can, which you can brush on or use a paint gun.

www.eastwood.com

Here's what the fender looks like now. Hard to tell in the picture, but you can see her original color, the dark green, on the right.

683_07_09_10_7_08_34.JPG

I cheated and just used rattle can Krylon rust over primer.. after I sanded it down best I could with the wire wheel. Later today I'm going to spray it with some 3M rubberized undercoating.

Almost forgot the picture of it after I did the undercoating.

683_15_09_10_1_59_21.JPG

And new bumper bracket put on! I'm suprised how easy the old nasty battery acid eaten one came off.

683_15_09_10_2_01_27.JPG

Now to get the front bumper put on! :vic

Back