1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dismiss Notice

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by Mach1Mark, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Mach1Mark

Mach1Mark Ramrod extraordinaire Donator

Attached Files:

2. Mach1Mark

After being in the yard more than the garage for the last month I was able to get the fiberglass hood attached and aligned. Took all afternoon. Lots of measuring and trial and error. I had to ditch the billet RingBrothers hood hinges as they would not allow the hood to adjust like it needed to in order to close. I'm disappointed after snagging them at half price. I ended up using some repop hood hinges I bought over a year ago.

Attached Files:

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  3. Mach1Mark

Spent time this morning trimming 1/4" from each end of the steering linkage rod ends. I called the Unisteer customer service line after I could not get the front wheels to toe out after threading the tie rod ends all the way on. The rep told me that Unisteer makes all the threaded center rods long on purpose to accommodate more model years. I need to check that the steering mechanism is centered (again) and likely trim another 1/4".

4. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

frustrating but I guess that helps them keep the cost down. How are you cutting them?

5. Mach1Mark

I chased the threads with a thread die, then locked a pair of nuts in place at 1/4" from the end. Adorned proper PPE and used my electric cutoff tool. Proceeded at a slow pace and kept the cuttings from flying and the metal relatively cool. Two cuts done right.

6. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

NICE! I was wondering about the threads. Every time I cut a bolt I have to clean up the threads with a file.

7. Mach1Mark

I did that too . . . they weren't too fragged after the cut but I rounded them off.

tarafied1 likes this.
  8. Mach1Mark

This afternoon I began test fiting the universal plug wire set I ordered yesterday. Also ordered plug wire high heat sleeves and plug wire markers. This way I can fab each wire the exact length I need instead of having them be too long or too short. The set I currently have had three out of eight wires that were the right length.
    Finally solved the front wheel toe in/out problem. I re-checked the center location of the rack and pinion unit and it was off a bit. I re-centered the unit and attached the tie rod ends to the front wheel spindles. There is plenty of toe adjustment now.
    Also attempted to final adjust the angle of the door glass. Not going very well.
    Lastly I test fit the aftermarket air conditioning evaporator on the bottom of the dash. I was pleasantly surprised to find the manufacturer designed the unit to hang from the existing holes for the OEM A/C evaporator (NO DRILLING).

Attached Files:

Grabber70Mach likes this.