1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by Mach1Mark, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

My boy is headed home for the holidays and tells me he wants a ride in the car. So it looks like it'll be on the road this Christmas. So I think I beat Mark. I hope.

Good decision, Mark. Keeps your project moving forward at a better pace.

Mach1Mark likes this.
  2. kb3

kb3 Well-Known Member

without pictures, it never happened.....

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  3. Mach1Mark

Mach1Mark Ramrod extraordinaire Donator

Well . . . when did Terry say he would be operational?

Today Im shopping for a battery.

4. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

Don’t worry, Terry will still be working on his car when the 2018 Power Tour starts.

5. kb3

kb3 Well-Known Member

fixed it for you, it appears you had a typo!

msell66 likes this.
  6. Horseplay

A real project car is NEVER done.

tarafied1 and Mach1Mark like this.
  7. janschutz

janschutz Corn Hauler

Maybe never done but it can be driveable!

tarafied1 likes this.
  8. Mach1Mark

Purchased a new Motorcraft battery P/N BXT-24FA. 700 CCA. I discovered I need to remove my radiator overflow tank to get the battery in the tray.

9. Mach1Mark

Last weekend I finished the battery install including the remove & replace of the overflow tank. I removed the built-in handle on the battery for a cleaner look. Kept it intact in case it is needed at a later date.

Today, I worked on installing the rear wiring harness and the fuel pump relay wiring. Had to remove the interior trim panel to access the area under/behind the quarter window guide. Fed the three (3) 12 ga fuel pump wires forward and the five (5) accessory wires rearward through the the plastic conduit and installed a hold-down clip.

Attached Files:

10. Boom

Boom Active Member

That inertia switch/relay combo looks slick. Whats it out of? Is the relay for the fuel pump?

11. Mach1Mark

It fits a number of late model Fords, found it on ebay. Came with short wiring harness.

12. Mach1Mark

Today I began filling the master cylinder and brake system with DOT 5 brake fluid. Going to push it to the rear brakes first tomorrow. Also continued to install the trunk wiring harness.

13. Horseplay

DOT 5 or DOT 5.1? 5 is silicone based and not recommended by just about anybody. Lots of potential issues and almost no advantages. Please clarify, Mark.

14. Mach1Mark

Hmmm . . . never heard of DOT 5.1 nor any negative reviews of DOT 5. I used DOT 5 when I raced my coupe. Its got a higher boiling point, doesn't absorb moisture from the air (hence slowing system corrosion) and doesn't ruin paint when in contact.

A quick search results:
    http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resources/faq/difference-between-dot4-and-dot51-brake-fluid/

15. msell66

I bleed the brakes 4-6 times a year. Never had a problem with paint. Always use DOT 4 for track purposes. Never boils.

16. msell66

17. Mach1Mark

Yesterday while bleeding the brake system I discovered I have a leak at the proportioning valve. Will elevate the car and attempt to tighten/repair the connection from underneath. More than a little frustrated but not really unexpected.

18. Horseplay

I feel ya. My custom brake line work is what cost me the tour this year. Beyond frustrating when something simple like that bites you. Took a while to sort mine out. Hope yours is an easy fix.

19. msell66

Yeah, THAT’S what did it.

20. Horseplay

The negatives I have read about relate to DOT 5 aerating easily, causing a soft pedal and it causing rubber seals to swell and fail in systems/components not designed to use a silicone fluid. That was enough for me to take a pass. Regular old fluid had never caused me issue anyway. My ability to distinguish between standard and AN fittings when hastily putting stuff together, that one bit me. o_O