• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

most cost effective sound deadener/heat insulation?

"miketyler" said:
I would put something down under the carpet. Even several square feet of roof felt on the flat areas covered by say, 1/2" carpet padding or even a heavy doubled up blanket.

I think a little bit would go a long way there.

I agree. I think I'll stick to my original plan and budget allows... the cheaper route insulation under the carpet. Now if my finances ever change, then I can increase my budget and splurge for the good stuff. Either way I go with insulation...I just don't like the idea of just carpet alone so something else will get put down under it.

I cannot argue. Any improvement no matter how expensive or cheap you go is WAY better than not doing anything.

I have some of the same questions as you all, so here is what I am doing for the floors:

For the 67 Resto-
1. Second Skin (throughout the car)
2. Jute Padding
3. Carpet
Maybe add some closed cell foam, not sure yet

For the 86 GT "Budget build" hatch with the stripped interior I picked up-
1. Home Depot Quick Roof on the floors - not Peel n Seal
2. Frost King Insulation on the floors
3. Carpet
I will use a butyl product to cover the firewall, doors, and ceiling on the 86.

Your plans sounds good. You might consider applying something to the inside skin of your doors, if they are gutted. If you already have the glass and hardware installed, it becomes too difficult.

Are you doing anything in the trunk? I'll be doing a carpet kit for Shag with jute underneath.

For the 67 I'll use damplifier all the way. Already bought enough for the cabin, firewall, doors, trunk and ceiling. Solid gold stuff, just need to get the paint on the cabin and away I go.

For the 86 budget GT (my wife calls it the DUMP CAR, she has no vision) the quick roof is fine for me on flat surfaces, but I may cheat and buy 40 square feet or so of damplifier for the roof, firewall and doors/vertical surfaces. Trying to stick to a budget on it b/c I got the car for a ridiculously low price and dont want to sink money into it. (The 67 is my money pit) Don't plan to leave it outside much anymore, but August is hot here in Central Florida and I'm not sure I trust Quick Roof's vertical adhesion properties.

I bought a roll of the Frost King stuff this weekend. Was around $20. The heavy aluminum backing is not bonded to the foam so Im leaving it off. I think this stuff is meant to wrap around pipe or duct work and then is secured by tape at either end kindve like bicycle handlebar tape. I did want something additional on the underside of the cowl though and it seems to be sticking ok to the Dynomat. Just in case, I have taken the ultra-sticky fiberglass insulation tape and have done all the seams with it. I hope the added build up of it and the Dynomat on the cowl doesnt create any assembly or functional issues.

I made up some floating batting for the roof quarters and may use the heavy aluminum backing on the sides of that. The bats I made from these large ziploc bags I got from the office. Cut and slip some pink R13 fiberglass inside the ziploc and place the foil insulation in one one side. Its cheap and really doesnt cost me anything since this stuff was laying around.

"Fast68back" said:
I'm surprised with all the folks on here no one has used Lizard skin.

http://www.lizardskin.com/pages/ceramic.php

I was about to mention it as well but you beat me to it. They have both a ceramic insulation and a sound control paint. This product is handy if you have the entire interior out of the car (since you have to spray it). Coat your floors with both paints and it also doubles as sealing your floorboards from rust. Butyl based deadener mats can trap moisture between the floorboard and the mats. Lizardskin isn't cheap and requires a special gun to spray.

Lizard skin is good stuff, kindve like Rhinoliner right? There is a guy on Cuda-Challenger.com with a high-end build that did the inside and underside of his car with it. Topcoated with body color, sweet car. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28388.285

Has anyone ordered the Voodoo stuff off of eBay? Looks like a Dynamat clone for 2/3 the price of bulk pack. Buyers seem happy. http://cgi.ebay.com/36-SqFT-Bulk-Pack-Sound-Dampening-Dynamat-Xtreme-Decal-/360242616535

voodoomat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"miketyler" said:
Lizard skin is good stuff, kindve like Rhinoliner right? There is a guy on Cuda-Challenger.com with a high-end build that did the inside and underside of his car with it. Topcoated with body color, sweet car. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28388.285

Has anyone ordered the Voodoo stuff off of eBay? Looks like a Dynamat clone for 2/3 the price of bulk pack. Buyers seem happy. http://cgi.ebay.com/36-SqFT-Bulk-Pack-Sound-Dampening-Dynamat-Xtreme-Decal-/360242616535

voodoomat.jpg

You can get 37sqft of RAAMMAT 2 for $90 and it will whup up on SecondSkin's $$$ product and kick butt on all the Dynamat junk 6 ways from Sunday. Plus, it has a great rep., unlike some ebay stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
"miketyler" said:
$90 shipped?
89.95 w/o shipping. I was gonna see what they charge for shipping, but it's another one of those sites where you have to checkout and enter your blood type before it will add shipping to the invoice. :lol I've talked to the guy that runs RAAMMAT before and I got the impression that shipping would be very reasonable.

there was a nice comparison done on the old sounddeadenershowdown.com site, see if you can find it to compare all of the ones mentioned above.

Back