• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 67 fastback build

Floor pans all burned in. Phew, butt welding sucks BAD!!! But, I think the end result is worth the extra effort instead of lap welding it in.
floorpan4.jpg

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I lap jointed mine way back when. I am tempted to to cut them out and put a full floor pan in but "if it's not broke, don't fix it"
anyway, nice work!

"tarafied1" said:
I agree. I lap jointed mine way back when. I am tempted to to cut them out and put a full floor pan in but "if it's not broke, don't fix it"
anyway, nice work!

That's the reason I ended up replacing them. The previous owner lapped them in with pop rivets, seam sealer and weld splatter. They were a mess to get out. :char I still got the passenger side to get done :nut But then the floors and firewall/toeboard are DONE :thu except for the seat risers. I haven't decided whether to go with the one piece or the singles yet.

Now, the ugly truth is that I need to do some cowl repair. After pulling out the side cowl panel to replace, I noticed the collars were badly repaired :rant with the plastic kits they sell. I would leave it and just clean it up some, but I don't think I have enough good metal to weld the cowl panel back to...
Bill

Now that's ugly...but I am sure you will correct this properly.

Finally got the upper cowl removed.
1329605875.jpg

It needed the attention
1329605887.jpg

1329605909.jpg

1329605864.jpg

I've got to finish removing the dash as I've got to replace the side of the cowl that runs behind the a pillar, place my firewall patch, then I can get the cowl patch finished up.

I need to do something with this also, but not sure how it's suppose to look.
1329605896.jpg

This is the a pillar where it ties to the cowl. I'll need to search around and find out how it's suppose to look.
All and all a pretty productive day to get rid of that mess the lower cowl had. So, besides the cowl, the quarters, the doors, the floors, the wheel wells, the frame rails, the shock towers, the front aprons, and the trunk drop offs the car was solid as a drum lol.

Bill

So, besides the cowl, the quarters, the doors, the floors, the wheel wells, the frame rails, the shock towers, the front aprons, and the trunk drop offs the car was solid as a drum lol.
so the roof skin, rockers and trans tunnel...lol
PROGRESS is progress!

here is a an old pic of my car when I was patching it up

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • Picture 183.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
yes, everything forward of the firewall has been replaced and the firewall has a couple patches in it too

Attachments

• Frame rail replacement 6.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Frame rail replacement 3.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 40
:thu That's some awesome looking work. I should have done my patching then, but I didn't. I think it will be easier now though with the cowl out of the way, but the frame rails will definitely be in the way. I'll figure it out though, even it means undoing some finished work.
Bill

Bill
When it comes to weld the cowl back into place, just verify that it sits in the middle.
I do hope you took some measurements before taking the cowl apart.
Take your time with measurements before welding the cowl back together.
It will kick you in the nuts when mounting the fenders and hood and trying to align it together with the doors .
How do I know ???? Guess.

ps: you're doing a great job. enjoy it .

"B67FSTB" said:
Bill
When it comes to weld the cowl back into place, just verify that it sits in the middle.
I do hope you took some measurements before taking the cowl apart.
Take your time with measurements before welding the cowl back together.
It will kick you in the nuts when mounting the fenders and hood and trying to align it together with the doors .
How do I know ???? Guess.

ps: you're doing a great job. enjoy it .

I used some screw around the perimeter before I started. I should be able to lay it back in following the alignment from that.
Bill

Decided to replace the whole firewall as the metal is weak and cracking in several spots. Plus, it's been a real PITA to get the toe board to match up correctly on the drivers side. Also, decided to buy a new upper cowl as mine has seen better days. Wish I had determined this earlier as I was careful not to booger it up taking it off. '
What has really sucked about this restoration is that the prior "restorer" left nothing untouched and done a crappy job. It's been a task to get rid of his "repairs".
Bill

Got some work done on the lower cowl. I still need to weld the passenger side in. I have plans for a new firewall and new upper cowl. I would have replaced the lower cowl also, but had already bought the patches. Also, got the vertical cowl panel in place on the drivers side. Gonna go ahead and replace the passenger one also, as the flange that the lower cowl spots to it is in bad shape.
1332265521.jpg
1332265513.jpg
1332265494.jpg
1332265504.jpg

Bill

"tarafied1" said:
looking good!
but you know,... the camaro I have doesn't need any patch panels :roll

Good, then you should have plenty of time to come help me :nut :beer

Bill

Back