• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My adventure/process in homemade adjustable Strut Rods (pics).

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
I had a bushing go belly up on the driver side strut rod, so I thought, no better time to upgrade to adjustable strut rods. But I'm a cheap bastid' & wanted to build my own.

I will preface that I REALLY need a milling machine - this was a lot of labor for the route I went. But they look bitchen though!

Started with (2) chunks of 1018 steel; 2-3/8" Diameter X 3" long:
26-271211111448.jpeg

I did cheat a little and layout the cuts & holes in Cad. Made some templates and taped to the slugs:
26-271211111502.jpeg

Showing the actual cuts for the center cut out area - these were hand cut on my bandsaw[nb]
26-271211111635.jpeg
[/nb]:
26-271211111518.jpeg

One finished End mount:
26-271211111535.jpeg

And the start of the 2nd mount. Holes drilled - ready to be cut:
26-271211111603.jpeg

Assembled end piece with upgraded, 2-piece Heims joint (Left hand threads) & grade 8 hardware:
26-271211111618.jpeg

1" DOM tubing, tapped to 5/8"-18 LH threads:
26-271211111651.jpeg

Started the lower arm mount - with steering stop. That is 3/8" thick, mild, hot-rolled, steel with a 5/8"-18 Right hand, grade 8, threaded stud:
26-271211111711.jpeg

Welded up piece:
26-271211111727.jpeg

Assembled strut rod:
26-271211111739.jpeg

26-271211111821.jpeg

26-271211111838.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just need to get them powder coated...
too bad the local guy in Tongi has stopped power production for a while.... :roll

Last edited by a moderator:
"70_Fastback" said:
Just need to get them powder coated...
too bad the local guy in Tongi has stopped power production for a while.... :roll

WTF??? I was NOT told that info! He's supposed to PC my front bar...if I ever remove it and drive it over to him.

BTW, awesome fab J! Now, how many hours you got in them?

"silverblueBP" said:
WTF??? I was NOT told that info! He's supposed to PC my front bar...if I ever remove it and drive it over to him.

That's what he txt'd me. He is focusing on getting his cars done first.

No big deal, there is a place in Olathe that does it.

"silverblueBP" said:
...Now, how many hours you got in them?

Counting Just fab time - maybe about 7-8 hours so far. I have probably 2 hours left to finish the lower mount for the other side and cut/thread the rod & stud.

I have my old oven sitting in the barn if you need one Jeremy. Just replaced it a month ago. Oven still works good enough for PC.

Good Job!
I have been thinking of building a 60"X60" Oven with a wood stove-(Im a cheap bastid' too) - Around here the local PCer is always PACKED!

"70_Fastback" said:
Sweet offer, thanks Mark.

But what's wrong with using the oven in the kitchen....? :confu

Nothing...right up until the day you said "I do".

"70_Fastback" said:
Whatever. The oven was there before she was.

Seniority.
Go ahead if you like your food smelling like baking paint. It will stink up the house if you do it in the kitchen (guess how I know :roll)

"70_Fastback" said:
Whatever. The oven was there before she was.

Seniority.

LMAO

You'd think you've been single all your life.....Foo

"70_Fastback" said:
Assembled end piece with upgraded, 2-piece Heims joint (Left hand threads) & grade 8 hardware:
26-271211111618.jpeg

Boy you really half-assed that :hide
J/k
Did you check the width of the frame mount u-channel? I had to do some creative work to get my mount to fit with a similar sized/length heim bolt/nut.
IMG_0247.jpg

Jon

I did measure. I may have to remove the regular nut and go with a narrower jam style nut. That will be my clearance conflict area.

"janschutz" said:
Go ahead if you like your food smelling like baking paint. It will stink up the house if you do it in the kitchen (guess how I know :roll)

Good point. :roll

Back