• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My newest project, '59 Apache Truck

:confu Actually haven't measured the width of the rear axles to compare; I can do that tomorrow. Why'd they have to make the rear axle so complicated in that old '72!! I just can't get over how much stuff is welded to it! Heavy duty stuff! I was aware of having to have the driveshaft cut~ I found a place that does that. The guy was telling me when it comes time, he'd tell me how to measure. but that doesn't tell me pinion angle and how to measure for that. I was just thinking I'd eyeball the angle of the dangle! lol

"AzPete" said:
Hang in there.....a bit of wine....some ice cream.....some rest....and you will be tearing into it for sure.

Either rear end should be looked at. The gears can be measured for wear and backlash. I would have your mechanic in the know look at both and go from there. You most likely will need the drive shaft length changed anyway so any u-joint set up could be used. Also, how is the width of the car vs truck for fitment?

There are gauges to measure the pinion angle...use them or burn up u-joints.... Not sure off the top of my head on the angle.....3-6 degrees seems to sound familiar.

That old car was set up as a heavy duty vehicle. It could carry 6 people, the luggage, and tow a boat on a months vacation....and still ride smooth when not loaded. Might want to consider the coil spring setup the car has and mount it to the truck......

whoa! sent a shiver up my spine! I was thinking the same thing about mounting the coil springs in the back, but looking at the complexity of it all kind of made me think otherwise, then if it sat too low, I'd have to lower the front to match~ darn! I'm going to sleep over it, I do my best thinking while in bed :roll. I don't think my welding ability is that good~ or maybe my welder is just not adequate for the job~ it's only a 110volt mig. May just have to look around for a more correct rear axle~ but I'm loving the challenge! :yah

"AzPete" said:
There are gauges to measure the pinion angle...use them or burn up u-joints.... Not sure off the top of my head on the angle.....3-6 degrees seems to sound familiar.

That old car was set up as a heavy duty vehicle. It could carry 6 people, the luggage, and tow a boat on a months vacation....and still ride smooth when not loaded. Might want to consider the coil spring setup the car has and mount it to the truck......

signing off for tonight!

ya'll have a great evening! ya'll given me alot to think about!
be back tomorrow!!! ; )
dne'

Uh.......when do we get to see pix of the apache? Assuming we even like chebbie trucks....
aefed76e-4d50-5d59.jpg

"cmayna" said:
Uh.......when do we get to see pix of the apache? Assuming we even like chebbie trucks....

aaaaa.....on page one....where you also posted.....

uh.....Now I remember.......Guess I had one too many pieces of Sushi tonight ? :shrug And this is what I get for using my Iphone while listening to live music at the local park and looking at so many HOT young moms.

Dne' I loved the comment about how big the car is. The funny thing is how much our perspectives have changed through the years with manufacturers downsizing their cars. That car was a standard full sized family car in it's day! One good yardstick to measure that perspective change is the rental car industry. That car would have been listed as a full sized car by them. If you go to the Avis website, check out what is classified as a full sized car now. To compare "apples to apples", with them it's STILL an Impala! I'm sure you know how big a 2011 Impala is compared to your donor car! A car the same size as the current Impala would have been a COMPACT back then!! LOL

BTW, I had a friend who had a 72 or 73 Impala. It was IDENTICAL to yours..including color!

This may be a little late since you've already pulled the trans, but in line with Pete's recommendation to pull the engine/trans together, GM's were kinda neat about one thing. You can pull entire front clip off on most them and do so relatively easily. You'd then have a wide open frame with the motor sitting there. You had TONS of room to work! It may still be something to look at to give you plenty of elbow room with other stuff under there. I'm also sure if you've already pulled the hood, that :censored gigantic thing weighs almost as much as the engine!! LOL

I love my mini lift!

I can't tell you how much this smaller lift has saved my day! the hood on this Impala is huge, so for now I just leave my mini crane connected to the hood, then roll it out of the way and put it on a fender support thing(paintnbody work support thing). And another hip hip hooray for my maxjax! It didn't struggle to pick up the impala, but gives me the heeby jeebies being under it. I have supports in the front and rear just in case, or at least to keep it from teeter tottering!
AC guy is coming, today in gary's birthday and I haven't gotten him anthing yet, and my stepdaughter is coming over at 2 to help me put together a blog for my build~ though I don't really need a blog, I'm doing what I can to get closer to her, establish a more friendship. So this day is kind of shot, but I don't think it would take an hour to get the motor out, but I always underestimate how long something is going to take! usually much longer.

and tomorrow we get to go to the harris county and fight our housing taxes! They went up from 280k - 360k! Can you believe that!
coffee time~ be back later

hoyerandimpala.jpg

"cmayna" said:
aefed76e-4d50-5d59.jpg
CMAYNA~ I posted the Chebbie truck just for you!!! ; ) I too forget more often than I like to admit, I keep thinking working on these old cars will help ward off alzheimers! but for the life of me, I have 4 9/16" wrenches, and they just dissappear when I need them the most (any tool for that matter! :rant
Other:
I know there are some sites that don't allow other species of vehicles to be put on their site/s. No one here has said anything, but all here knows I'm a stang enthusiast and proven builder, but have such respect for all of our past American made cars/trucks, and truly would love to have a pick of the big four; A chevy, a ford, a chrysler(whatever, barracuda), I really have the hots for an AMC javelin, the nicer looking one!, I forget what was the other major player?

And Ponyman~ my next door neighbor, in my younger growing up years, Billy always had an Impala from every year, and he had this one too! Same color like you said~ maybe it's the only color that they came in! lol but I don't remember thinking how large it was then! AC guy is here~ gotta go~

liftkit.jpg

engine out~ ;)

Wasn't too bad! I put it on my stand and began taking off a few bolted on things, then Gary came home from work and that was it for the day. I can see why I might just want to go away with the old AC, it's HEAVY! a man at a vintage AC site told me he has a bracket for the Alternator to be put on the left side and put the new Sanden compressor on the passenger side.
I'm just now sure what else I can use out of the Impala. I'm thinking:
* steering column, it has a long shaft that will be necessary to connect to the steering gear. However I would hope that there is an aftermarket steering wheel for it. Dont think an Impala steering wheel would like right. The current steering gear won't work for my application.

oh, I'm going to take a look at the gas pedal and the linkage. I had to cut the downshift cable(not going to explain why), but it wasn't attached at the carburetor like most, it went through the firewall and I supposed connect to the gas pedal somehow. This is a two barrel carb. The guy that's going to overhaul the Turbo350 said no problem with aftermarket downshift cables, just where to connect it on the 2 barrel carb will be the obstacle.

*under the dash wiring harnes, maybe pull it out and check it out. It'd be nice that it connects right up to the steering column.

* The guy was saying the bench seat may fit, but I need to be able to get beneath the seat to access the master cylinder. Plus I think it's too wide anyway.
* I've lost more sleep over the rear axle, I think installng the impala axle in my truck would be easier than installing the Apache rear axle in the Impala(just to move it around). Just can't figure in my head how to install the apache axle in the impala!

motorout.jpg

Good progress. Yep, old A/C is heavy and must be converted to 134.....

As for the axle/impala......just use a cheap set of car rollers blocked under the car until it is gone......

My great uncle had one of these in a 2 door model. It had a front end longer than a football field. When I first got my license, he made me drive every time I visited.

We all like all the brands, DNE so don't worry about posting pics. We enjoy it and you are making huge progress.

Good job.

Mel

taking the engine apart

I sent these photos to Herb, (motorguy), and he said it's pretty much a bone stock motor with exception of the timing chain setup. I know someone has been in the motor, hm '72 model, does that puzzle me :roll ? I called him this morning and discussed what to do next; I'll take it apart completely, then take everything over to him neatly organized, there he can check measurements, and hopefully it's all salvageable! He even went on to say the heads look like smaller heads, maybe even off of a 305~ that would bite! However, I told him I'd just like a good running motor, nothing fancy. So, off to the garage I go!

pistonfrom350.jpg

timiingchain.jpg

350head.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the good news is SBC parts are easy to find and cheap all things considered.

What you posted doesn't look too bad. If your engine guy (Motor guys work on electric motors) can put your lower end together, you should be able to do the rest very easily!

These things really are easy to work on. You do have to know things like be sure to chase all the threads because GM cut corners by leaving their bolt holes open into the water jackets....Other stuff too, but I can't remember it all.

Mel

Hey Mel~ ok, I knew about motor vs engine, just pops up in my brain sometime! lol
Well it's pretty much all apart, couldn't get the crank gear off, I have a little puller but it wouldn't budge, so maybe I'll just use that gear, but I'm sure that Herb can get it off and the dipstick tube!
Yes, he can put the lower together and I can put the rest on. It's just he's good at getting the valves adjusted and the distributor in the right place the first time! ; ) My ~ old engine stuff stinks! my garage smells aweful! Oh, my little mini crane again saves the day! If I have doubt in lifting something, I get my mini crane! I think I'll call it "my little mule!" lol
I do know i want this engine cleaned out, there was quite a bit of rust~ I knocked out the casting plugs where the engine supports go, but not the front/rear ones.
; )

crank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now Dne', if you start calling your mini crane "little mule", since you're in Texas wouldn't that be a burrito? LOL

Back