• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My SHO is no more.

crustycurmudgeon

I got in an accident this evening near home. Driving on highway 25 (4 lane hwy) in Hollister when I approached a pickup truck pulling onto the shoulder, brake lights on. I moved a bit to the left to give a wide berth and the truck suddenly turned left from the shoulder. I was right on top of her and only had time to move to the left lane before impact. Speed was about 45mph. Luckily, I have a dash cam, although it was 9 PM and not a lot of detail, but it plainly shows what happened. Air bags are amazing. They sit there for years, decades, doing nothing, then BOOM! They suddenly do their job! I seem to be ok, just scrapes and swelling on my right arm and wrist.

Been thinking about a replacement for the SHO (now more urgent), since it's up to about 225,000 miles and was piling them on quick. Thinking about a Fusion.

Frank

Last edited:
OK now is the time to show that vid.You make me curious !!!
Oh BTW ......glad you are OK ;)

Holy crap, wth was the driver of the PU intending on doing?? Glad to hear you are OK Frank.

Fusions are decent cars if you want bland. Kinda like our 14 Escape, nice but bland. The SHO was something you could play with on a whim.

Holy crap, wth was the driver of the PU intending on doing?? Glad to hear you are OK Frank.

Fusions are decent cars if you want bland. Kinda like our 14 Escape, nice but bland. The SHO was something you could play with on a whim.
Fusions are ANYTHING but bland...at least a a sedan goes. You seriously need to go see one in person. Very good styling and even the lower end models have lots of great standard features. If you do go that way, Frank, you must upgrade the engine. The small stocker is way under-powered. Find one with the 2.0l turbo and have fun. I just recently was shopping for a new car for SWMBO and came thisclose to getting one. She was coming out of a BIG SUV and didn't want to give up the ride height or we would have bought it
Fusion.jpg

Fusions are old man cars. Drove a top of the line Fusion last year on a 500 mile trek. It was comfortable, nice creature comforts and was a bore to drive. If I want boring, I'll spend less and get an Escape.....

Get the new SHO!!!!!

Frank,
Glad to hear you are ok. If I was you, I'd consider a mid 80's Westfalia. I'd be your friend for life.

Damn Frank, If you are still achy tomorrow consider going in to see your doctor to make sure no permanent damage has occurred. Sorry to see the old SHO is going to the junk yard, I really liked my son's '89. FWIW, it is my understanding that the current SHO is being replaced next year by something that the auto journalists think is worth waiting for. As for something more immediate, if you are looking for a new sedan type replacement, the Mazda6 seems to be getting rave reviews in the auto press. Lynn, on the other hand, just picked up a 2015 Chrysler 200S with the V6. Nice car, reasonable $$, and fast. I see a speeding ticket in her future!

Holy crap, wth was the driver of the PU intending on doing??

I know what she was doing. She knew her PU needed a big turning radius so she pulled to the right to make a left u-turn. But as most drivers out there they KNOW they are the only vehicle on the road...and she's in a PU, why worry. A**holes.:mad:

Make sure you document your medical excursions...meaning see a doctor and get fully checked out.

For your distance driving you might even want to check out a Focus.

Frank, Sorry for your loss. Hey I think of my cars as family. ;)
But now it is time for a new/another car. You now have that wonderful commute from Hollister, something that gets better gas mileage might be in order. Maybe switching political parties and getting a prius is what you need to do. :p Well everyone else it telling you what kind of car to get. :rolleyes: Just remember to post pics of your new ride or it did not happen. :eek:

fd

Damn Frank, If you are still achy tomorrow consider going in to see your doctor to make sure no permanent damage has occurred. Sorry to see the old SHO is going to the junk yard, I really liked my son's '89. FWIW, it is my understanding that the current SHO is being replaced next year by something that the auto journalists think is worth waiting for. As for something more immediate, if you are looking for a new sedan type replacement, the Mazda6 seems to be getting rave reviews in the auto press. Lynn, on the other hand, just picked up a 2015 Chrysler 200S with the V6. Nice car, reasonable $$, and fast. I see a speeding ticket in her future!

I wonder if maintenance costs are higher for the Mazda vs. the Fusion. MSRP is about the same (a tiny bit less for the Mazda), and fuel economy is a bit better.

I know what she was doing. She knew her PU needed a big turning radius so she pulled to the right to make a left u-turn. But as most drivers out there they KNOW they are the only vehicle on the road...and she's in a PU, why worry. A**holes.:mad:

Make sure you document your medical excursions...meaning see a doctor and get fully checked out.

For your distance driving you might even want to check out a Focus.

The Focus is a possibility, it was comfortable enough but I don't know if the appearance suits me. It could grow on me.

I didn't mention the truck owner's "story". She said she wasn't driving the truck, she was following in another car. She said the driver of the truck ran away after the accident. I, of course, didn't see who was driving the truck and the dash camera only shows what was illuminated by my headlights, so no driver. The video shows no evidence of another car following the truck, it shows nothing between me and the truck about 1/4 mile ahead. If her story is true, she may have been in front of the truck. To answer another poster's question, I hit the truck at the front of the driver door, right behind the front wheel.

I am glad there are no major injuries! Sorry to hear about your car.

Our Durango is in the shop right now because some butthole hit it while it was parked at Walmart.

My daughter has a loaded Prius, leather and every option you can get. 45 mpg and she loves it.

I like the Ford hybrid. I think it looks good and reviews are good. God forbid, I like the Chevy Volt too. It works a bit differently than the others.

Oh, have you considered CNG vehicles? Same MPG but cheaper fuel.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I am glad there are no major injuries! Sorry to hear about your car.

Our Durango is in the shop right now because some butthole hit it while it was parked at Walmart.

My daughter has a loaded Prius, leather and every option you can get. 45 mpg and she loves it.

I like the Ford hybrid. I think it looks good and reviews are good. God forbid, I like the Chevy Volt too. It works a bit differently than the others.

Oh, have you considered CNG vehicles? Same MPG but cheaper fuel.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

As I understand, a hybrid won't work for me as a highway commute vehicle, it needs the city driving and regenerative braking to be any good.

I'd LOVE to buy a Tesla, but only in my dream$.

I also wouldn't mind having a CNG vehicle, but the selection isn't very good for something economical. It wouldn't make sense to buy a truck that gets 20 mpg vs. a Fusion, Focus, or Mazda 6 that gets in the high 30's.

Get a NEW SHO !! Haent driven one yet but guys I know that have one drive them every chance they get. Miss my '90 SHO much too.

Get a NEW SHO !! Haent driven one yet but guys I know that have one drive them every chance they get. Miss my '90 SHO much too.
The last new Taurus I drove was a bit cramped around the knees. It's also much more expensive and not as economical for a commuter car.

Back