• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New BFGoodrich tires

Raised white lettering?

• Total voters

Ponyboy66

Pole Position
I just had new BFGoodrich g-Force Sport comp-2 tires installed. I am disappointed that the diameter listed on tire rack is not even close to actual. The 225/55/16 are listed as 25.8" diameter when mounted on a 7" rim. That is exactly what I have but the mounted tires only measure 25" in diameter. I was hoping to fill the wheel well with more tire.
tires.jpg tires3.jpg

I am also looking at adding raised white letters to the tires. These letters are about 50% bigger then the factory size outlined on the tire. These look bad ass! Can't decide between the smaller factory size lettering or the larger lettering.

BFG.jpg
BFG small letter.jpg

Last edited:
Factory small size for me...but then again I'm what my wife calls a " Old Fart " when it comes to something different.

White letters went out of style a long time ago unless you are going for the nostalgic look. In that case stock size is best.

BTW, I have the same tires (17") on my car and yes they are a bit smaller in diameter than listed. These are a sport tire so a shorter sidewall is to be expected. FWIW I think they fill your wheel well just fine. I'm anxious to get mine all together and a full tank of gas in it, put some miles on it to see how it settles. Sits a bit high right now.

I have raised white letters on my 72 Chevy. I have always liked them, My son just put new tires on his car and got the HUGE stick-on letters. I wasn't sure if I would like it but it is growing on me.
IMG_5914.jpg

I did this photoshop a long time ago of my car but I like the look of the big letters if I had 15" wheels and tires with some sidewall
Mock up color sig pic.jpg

White letters went out of style a long time ago unless you are going for the nostalgic look. In that case stock size is best.

BTW, I have the same tires (17") on my car and yes they are a bit smaller in diameter than listed. These are a sport tire so a shorter sidewall is to be expected. FWIW I think they fill your wheel well just fine. I'm anxious to get mine all together and a full tank of gas in it, put some miles on it to see how it settles. Sits a bit high right now.

I think they look much better then black tires on a classic. The company I am looking at buying from "Tred Wear" is super busy, with the larger lettering being very popular. I am going for a "modified" Trans -Am" look. That is why I was looking at the larger letters, but not to big.

Isn't that kinda' like point of owning a 40 + year old car ?
Actually, his would be 50 and white letters were not a thing on his car then. They really took off in the 70's. That's why I think they look awesome on a car of yours vintage but not so much on the earlier years.
Looking at the pics guys have posted here every one seems to have a race car look to it with them. Not the best look for every car. If the ride has other aesthetics to it that lean to that look, maybe it works. On an otherwise stock looking car...not so much.
I spend WAY TOO MUCH time deciding on every little thing that I use on my car. Down to the style of bolt and the materials they are made of. In my mind, it all matters. How many cars have you seen at a show or driving around that "just don't look right"? You might not even be able to put your finger on the why but it just is. When you veer off the standard it's real easy to derail the entire look. You have to make sure everything works together and "fits". No one thing should ever be such a standout that that's what you "see" when viewing the car.
I'm building a new console from scratch that is very close to being done. I should be posting up a long look at it's concept, design and build at some point this weekend. Give it a look and read to get a better idea of what I am talking about here.

Bottom line is if that's the look a person wants...great. To each their own. I would suggest doing as Craig did and doing a photoshop mock-up first, though. Seeing is everything.

I spend WAY TOO MUCH time deciding on every little thing that I use on my car. Down to the style of bolt and the materials they are made of. In my mind, it all matters. How many cars have you seen at a show or driving around that "just don't look right"? You might not even be able to put your finger on the why but it just is. When you veer off the standard it's real easy to derail the entire look. You have to make sure everything works together and "fits". No one thing should ever be such a standout that that's what you "see" when viewing the car.

Horseplay, that is exactly what I do. As you can see, I am fretting over the ride height and the look of the tires. It is a serious addiction!

At some point I will get new wheels for Captain America because I have 15x7 all around and the back needs to be wider. I like the 17" look with low profile side walls.

If I find a pair of Edelbrock 409 wheels in 15x8 I will go that route but they don't make them any longer.

So these will at some point find their way to my trailer with raised white letters.

The 17s will likely not get raised letters.

My 2016 Nissan work truck came with raised white letters.

I like them.

But I'm old too.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Captain America? Do you have a shield mounted to your hood? I am not old and I still like white lettering.

No, he was painted like an American flag with rattle cans when we got him.

One of our friends named him.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Curious why anyone should expect a shorter sidewall... The 55 series represent that the sidewall is supposed to be 55% of the tire width. If you do the math using various published formulas they should come out to somewhere close to 25.7. If they are truly only ~25" tall, then shouldn't the series really be published closer to 50 series? I'm not disputing that the tire sizes often vary from published dimensions, but I guess I don't understand why such a difference should be expected.

Curious why anyone should expect a shorter sidewall... The 55 series represent that the sidewall is supposed to be 55% of the tire width. If you do the math using various published formulas they should come out to somewhere close to 25.7. If they are truly only ~25" tall, then shouldn't the series really be published closer to 50 series? I'm not disputing that the tire sizes often vary from published dimensions, but I guess I don't understand why such a difference should be expected.

I understand that each manufacturer runs bigger or smaller from the published sizes. BFG typically runs big so that is why I am surprised. The 25.8" diameter would have nicely filled the wheel well.

I was speaking in general about newer tire designs having shorter sidewalls. Not so much about the size/numbers and final tire diameters. Most tires today are not like the "balloons" of yesteryear. That's all I was trying to convey.

Back