• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new member. my 65...also my ideas thread....

fordrule

My father and I rebuilt this car over 12 yrs ago and I drove it everyday till I lost the brakes, parked it and it sat when I joined the army for the past 8 yrs

I have a 1965 mustang coupe

200 ci inline 6
C4 trans
drum brakes
all stock

what she used to look like
pmt0438996999w.jpg

pmt0699310856.jpg

pmt0218267066.jpg

I have some plans for it
first thing is go buy a new jack since the one i have wont lift it high enough to put a stand under here and I will be able to replace the worn tire and be able to push her around

here are some pics.

img98587883514.jpg

img98537601305.jpg

img98527552362.jpg
img98487351427.jpg
img98507466301.jpg
img98467152946.jpg
img98446950332b.jpg
img98426891762.jpg
img98436917552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty solid. Thanks for sharing the pics. Body and especially the Interior looks like its in real good shape. I agree that the jack is a little small for the job. :lol So like the title says, whats the ideas for it?

well i replaced the blown out tire and as we speak Im out in the garage with mequires 3 stage ..mainly using the cleaner wax to get the oil and residue from the car transporter. i got the hood done..

got to meet craig(tarafied1) yesterday and got to see his beast......friggin awesome. went junkyard hoping found some goodies...now just got to line up the money and we are in business.....

i possibly have lined up:

t-5 (either 4cyl or 8)
97 explorer gt40 motor complete still in explorer and package gets all of it...harness,cpu and all the sensors...
same explorer has the 8.8 rear end in it......
also a prospect of a lincoln 9in

well see how it all pans out...it sux im going to iraq and most of it is going to be sitting...

paint ideas are

mufp050901z1966fordmust.jpg

mustang66coupelg.jpg

must6501l.jpg

I want to stay with the whimbelton white and i was thinking satin or matte black...not sure if flat or raven black will look good

some other inspiration

I already have what I want todo with the body
hrdp090901z1966shelbygt.jpg

mdmp090310zfatherandson.jpg

sheila1280x10247241218.jpg

dsc00250j.jpg

I am thinking
duckbill spoiler
cougar taillights
gt350 brake vents
67 gt500 hood
r valence or the street scene one
brucep.jpg

19652008b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Jewell will be tickled you have his car as possible inspiration...I'll have to drop him a note :)

thanks. my father and I restored to a pretty good base and I lost my brakes and hit a tree and a trailer ball hitch that was attached to a truck. and after that she got parked since I joined the army and haven't had the time to get to it...this time my dad said its all yours and you can do what you want todo.

what car is Doc's?

I did get to meet Joey and his wife, and see the car. Real solid car. He has a lot of great ideas for it. I love the Blender! It was cool junkyard hopping too, found a bunch of places I didn't know about. It's great to have a Stangfixer so close, bummer he will be in Iraq for a year soon (thanks again for serving this great country!). I hope to be able to help as much as I can with the build. Thanks for posting your story!!!

"fordrule" said:
what car is Doc's?

Its the red No. 2 at the end of your list. Doc runs most of the HSR events every year, he works with Gary Jones Motorsports.

Joey,
I know we talked about rear axle options the other day. Did a little research on the Explorer rear axle. The spring perches are 39" as opposed to the Mustang's 43" and the differential is offset, Also width is basically the same as the 67-70 rear so what some have done is shorten the long side to match the short side and get another short side axle shaft to fit the 65-66. The Explorer rear is 31 spline and ABS disc brakes. Some come with 3.73's and trac-lok.
Sounds like the 8" would be much easier. Disc options are out there for the 8" but I don't know the cost. The 8" ratio is probably 2.79 or something like that and an open unit. The lead you have on the Versailles rear is your best option, but still might be an open rear with 2.79 - 3.00 gears. The guy said he had Strange axles so maybe the diff is changed out too? Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there is no 8.8 bolt-in option but it is doable if the 9" deal doesn't work out.

isnt changing the gear ratio the least of our worries just making sure it fits is the best.i emailed the shop and still waiting to find more info on the 9in

awesome pic. I just got off the phone today from the yard and looks like the 9in will be waiting for me. he said he dont plan on selling it and its mine.....sweet gotta love a ford 9in with strange axles...only bad part is he dosent know that gears are in there... but its all sandblasted and just needs re assembly and paint and wonderful install..what else am i going to need to need to install it. I know struts and leaf springs and shackels and probably lowering blocks

what's it out of? That will give you a strong clue as to the ratio. I would assume that its not a ration you want, but maybe you lucked out.

what else am i going to need to need to install it.

When you remove your existing 8", the new 9" should drop right into it's spot. The only additional thing you may need is the U-bolts might not be the same diamater going from the 8 to the 9.... the 9's housing axle tubes may be "thicker". This may lead to the requirement for appropriately sized lower shock mount plates. Other than that, it should bolt directly in.

too bad my rear end is the old ford 7 1/4 one. i want to say it is a Versailles rear end. also I found a wrecked 95 cobra and the engine and tranny are good in it. i am going to see how much for the package and also the brakes..anything else? its a front end damage car. hopefully they dont want too much and try and sell me the entire car

Back