• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new member. my 65...also my ideas thread....

Joey,
The Versailles 9" probably has a 2.79 ratio and is open. It might have a flange type yoke as well. As Dave said the 9" has 3" (IIRC) tubes, IDK what the 7 1/4 four lug rear tube are. The 65/66 shock plates are supposed to have enough meat to elongate the holes. I bought TCP shock plates cuz the 67 didn't have enough meat. Also the Versailles rear had a weird angle on the spring perches and used shims from the factory. You can get some from Summit to get the drive line angle right. Also make sure the holes in the perches are the same size as the bolt/plug in the spring. I've heard that some have a large hole and need a "bushing" to center the rear correctly. Mine were okay. Hopefully he has all the e-brake stuff. I only got one side with mine and finding that stuff is hard. That's all I can remember for now on mine... glad you locked in the deal!!!

craig i remember some of that but the amount of info that day some was lost. thanks man and i guess i just need to wait and find out whats all needed. im going togo back to the yard and take pics of the cobra tomorrow

here are some pics of my rims. I know they are 14in western. but do not know the style

enjoy
s83010229789567.jpg

s83010239801714.jpg

s83010249837116.jpg

s83010259854294.jpg

s83010269867828.jpg

s83010279889483.jpg

i do wish they were 5 lug and reuse them

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave is correct, mustang's, even those with the 9", had tapered axle tubes and used smaller u-bolts, you will most likely need to change those and your lower spring plates... You should also check the housing width, 65-66 used one of the shortest made at a housing flange to flage dimension of 52 1/4"... I believe they grew 1" per side in 67 and just got wider from there...

A wider rearend housing is not necessarily a bad thing....

On a 65-66 car if you use a 1" wider rearend, it could negate the requirement to use wheel adapters when using a late model wheel.

The Lincoln Versailles 9" is 58.5" rotor to rotor, the 65 Mustang V8 axle width is 57.25" drum to drum. The axle tubes on a Versailles are 3" vs 2.5" on an 8" and the spring pads on the Versailles housing tilt the rear up 7 degrees. You will need the original shims or buy some to get about 2-3 degrees to prevent u-joint wear and vibration. I put a Versailles rear in my 67, the original width was 59.5" drum to drum so I have some spacers to get my track right. It's not a bad swap but not just a bolt-in.

here is a link with some info on the swap.
http://www.maverick.to/grabber/versaillesillust2.html
and another
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/versaill/index.htm

well home on R&R and traded both our suvs in for a 10 Acadia , we had a 04 sporttrac and 05 kia sorrento. the Mileage was getting up and I wanted the wifey to be happy and enjoy a new car. I can have the beater lol. I have been talking to the wife about possibly getting the mustang back alive and on the road. i can only dream on getting her too crazy but I am deffently going to need to budget her. I really need to look hard at swapping the brakes/suspension and steering. I really want to use either the opentracker or ST products. I could go the granada way and get the disc brakes on the front and go with it or go the cobra brakes. I really want to swap her to a a manual but not sure on how hard and expensive it will be. i am hoping the junkyards tarafied and myself went to still have some good gt40(97 explorer) and t5 trans. that wont need a whole hella of a lot of work. get her up and running and then modify and make faster later on down the road.

I need to see if it would be easier to save up to buy a econo-box with cash when i get home or build the stang with the same amount of cash....dilemmas dilemmas dilemmas

you will have to hop a ride with craig one day when he's gonna be by my place. i'm on the northeast side of nashville, not too far down the road from clarksvegas...

i have been searching the brakes/rear end situation to complete the swap:

cobra vs 05 gt vs Granada...any comments or ideas?
I can find take off caliper and rotors

find a stock 8in, find a versailles 9in or go with a 8.8 explorer 94+ ? ideas comments?

to fit the explorer , reweld the spring perches and just swap the long axle with another short axle...or am I missing something. when craig came down and visited me before my deployment we went junkyard hoppin and found some 95-96 explorers . I am going on a tight budget but i want the best for the buck if you know what i mean..

so far for the idea is togo:
explorer gt-40 motor but swap to carb or keep efi...I can solder and read wiring schematics and read websites how to-s lol
swap to manual from the auto. T-5 trans but either the 4cyl or the v-8 version.
explorer 8.8 http://forums.mustangworks.com/f10/explorer-8-8-rear-into-65-stang-disc-brakes-all-50971/

sound feasable

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
you will have to hop a ride with craig one day when he's gonna be by my place. i'm on the northeast side of nashville, not too far down the road from clarksvegas...
Steve,
We'll do that when he gets home. If he decides to go with the Exploder rear, we can mock it up and I can even tack spring perches but my 110v mig won't be enough for good welds. We may come up to see ya and get some welds done?

The offset pumpkin on an explorer rear axle could become a PITA real fast. I don't know if Rangers axles are offset or not but if they are not, the guts/brakes could be used from the exploder on the ranger methinks.

anyone else on here running a explorer 8.8?

steve: can you help me cut and re-weld the driver foward fender apron, core support and the lower brace in front of the core support. mine got jacked up from the prior owner and we never fixed it correctly. I want to order the new sheetmetal but i have yet to learn to weld and do sheetmetal and i really want to learn. Any good yards in nashville for the things i am looking for? I appreciate any help.

"fordrule" said:
anyone else on here running a explorer 8.8?

steve: can you help me cut and re-weld the driver foward fender apron, core support and the lower brace in front of the core support. mine got jacked up from the prior owner and we never fixed it correctly. I want to order the new sheetmetal but i have yet to learn to weld and do sheetmetal and i really want to learn. Any good yards in nashville for the things i am looking for? I appreciate any help.

shouldn't be a problem. not sure what your schedule is like, but would probably be closer to late fall/early winter before i would have room to get it in. not sue about any yards. about the only one i hit is pull-a-part. get me a list of what you are looking for & i'll start keeping an eye out.

I can't do as good of work as Steve, but I can bring my mig over and do sheet metal, it's just not powerful enough to do spring perches and a frame work. If Steve is willing and has time I'm sure it will be a great result but if you want to tackle it together let me know? My mig runs off a 30 amp 110 outlet so I can bring it over in the back of the truck.

sounds like a plan formulating..

its hard to know what we talked about before I left but if i remember it was a 95-96 explorer had the GT-40 motor? and the same year for the 8.8 rearend? I really want to convert it to granada spindles and possibly the 05+ gt brakes front and rear. I need to contact mustangsteve and see if his brackets will work for the 05 gt rears on the 8.8. also look into the parking brake set up also. or should I just go with the brake setup that is already on the 8.8?

yeah i would enjoy tackling all of these projects with the help of you experts lol...

so what to keep an eye out for:
95-96 V8 engine the gt-40
explorer 8.8 (and just get another short side axle)
AOD or the T-5 trans
granada spindles
05+ gt brakes

Sorry instead of making other posts and threads I am just going to post my questions in this thread.

wiring:What wiring harness am I going to need for the swap? just the engine bay one or will I need to get the firewall to dash also.

steering: I am going to need centerlink, pitman, and the idler and correct tierods to the granada spindles.

suspension: I have been looking around and have decided togo with Suan and pick up the suspension parts from him instead of mustang plus. SHouldn't be too bad...new leaf springs, shackles, new f&R swaybars, and either the 1in drop gt springs or the progressive springs.

Back