• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new member. my 65...also my ideas thread....

wiring:What wiring harness am I going to need for the swap? just the engine bay one or will I need to get the firewall to dash also.

For an EFI conversion you'll need the donor car's main engine harness. This should include the computer (the main harness routes through the firewall and almost immediately terminates where it connects to an underdash mounted EEC/computer). Grab the computer "mount" also as you'll need it during your install. You won't need the "dash" wiring, but if you're scavenging parts from a donor vehicle, grab what is refered to as the "inertia" switch. The inertia switch.... is mounted in different places for different vehicles, but as I remember a lot of switches are mounted under the driveres side seat. The inertia switch when activiated kills power to the electric puel pump in the case of an accident. Technically you don't have to use an inertia switch during your installation, but it's simple enough (one wire in, one wire out completing a circuit) and provides a measurable amount of safety.

Dave I do appreciate it but at the moment I am looking at staying carbed for the ease and time needed for the swap. I am trying to pick up janshultz 85 roller motor and stay carbed

"fordrule" said:
will a 68 radiator fit in a 65?

Won't just bolt in, but there is room for it...there are different mounting systems, and you'll have to get creative to get it in there. I believe 68's are wider, so to maximize air flow, you could cut the radiator opening a bit larger, but this isn't necessary. daveSanborn is running a Fox Body radiator which is REALLY wide, but he didn't cut the opening any larger...you still get the benefit of extra water capacity, even if you don't get the extra air-flow.

"fordrule" said:
Sorry instead of making other posts and threads I am just going to post my questions in this thread.

wiring:What wiring harness am I going to need for the swap? just the engine bay one or will I need to get the firewall to dash also.

steering: I am going to need centerlink, pitman, and the idler and correct tierods to the granada spindles.

suspension: I have been looking around and have decided togo with Suan and pick up the suspension parts from him instead of mustang plus. SHouldn't be too bad...new leaf springs, shackles, new f&R swaybars, and either the 1in drop gt springs or the progressive springs.

Do roller perches. I'd go 620 springs with the Shelby drop. Progressive might have your car sitting up too high.

"fordrule" said:
will a 68 radiator fit in a 65?

I'm down in Smyrna and have a '67, I have my original (leaking) '67 20" radiator and a new '68 24" radiator loose if you'd like to test fit each and see what you'd have to do to make them mount. I made up some side mounts for the larger rad. with some flat alum. barstock and Steve (SellersRodshop) did this also with some channel so you can see 2 different ways of accomplishing the same thing.

As mentioned I don't think the front air opening is as big but you'll get the additional added cooling compacity with either if you don't want to cut the opening. Maybe a test fit will also tell you if you need to move the battery or mod the tray.
Give me a call, I'll PM my number.
Jon

i just paid off the credit card ...just to max it out again on the stang....just on the suspension/steeering/brakes//

"fordrule" said:
well looks like janshultz pulled the motor and it should be on its way to okc. cant wait to see pics....

I'll be loading it up tomorrow night for transport to OKC Thursday.

well instead of starting a new thread I decided to add to this or I guess I can just start a build thread...

an idea that I have been tossing around. can the grill mouldings, corall, fog light housings and bars be powdercoated?

something like this
mdmp_1104_07_o+1967_ford_mustang_fastback_driver_side_front.jpg

I can give you the phone number of the guy who powder coated my dash, he would be able to at least tell you what temp he uses to cure the coating...

"tarafied1" said:
I can give you the phone number of the guy who powder coated my dash, he would be able to at least tell you what temp he uses to cure the coating...
This is who I used for soda blasting...
Skysodablasting
1(270)791-8201
148 Martinsville Ford Road
Bowling Green, KY

and powder coating...
JPC Powder Coating
Jerry Meiergerd
1(270)320-7250
Bowling Green KY

Back