• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

photos of your distributors please/engine

Dne'

I've spent the past couple days working under the dash on wiring and "other" stuff, but today I installed the export brace(where' they get that name?). I thought it would take up a lot of room, but there's plenty!

I'm not happy with the appearance of my dizzy distributor, though I'm stuck with it for a while. Someone stated to get a black cap, might tie it together better? The other thing I don't like about it~ I'm limited in the kind of air cleaner that I'd like, like the oval classic air cleaner! Poor planning, plus I let my engine builder talk me into it!

Anyway, I'd like to see some distributors/motors if ya'll may have some photos handy.
thanks,
dne'

zmotor.jpg

Heres what i did, i brought all my wires to the front. And i used an oval air cleaner.

166_28_11_09_1_44_42_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of HEI distributors on Mustangs. They work fine, but they're very bulky.

Get rid of that Edelbrock "air cleaner." It's all but useless as a filter, and the foam is flammable.

"Starfury" said:
I'm not a fan of HEI distributors on Mustangs. They work fine, but they're very bulky.

Get rid of that Edelbrock "air cleaner." It's all but useless as a filter, and the foam is flammable.

I agree 100%.

MSD distributors are expensive, but in your case, at least the 289/302 distributors are about the cheapest of the Ford MSD distributors.

Here's a picture of Scary, my '69:
DSC01810.jpg

... and the '66 that is going to AzPete:

170_01_06_10_9_35_08_4.jpg

Here's my MSD with a black cap. It sits up high and close to the air cleaner (ugh) and I'm not sure a monte carlo bar would work.

Here's my '65 with MSD dizzy, FMS Wires (perfect fit), R&M Specialties wire looms and a curved Monty Carlo Bar.

Tim

8-25-200910-10-10AM_0013.jpg

8-25-200910-09-55AM_0012.jpg

8-25-200910-09-23AM_0008.jpg

Current car...this distributor is a stock Ford unit and has the adapter to the larger cap.
engine.jpg

Gee, after seeing all of ya'lls distributors, mine is just downright depressing! I need to sell some of my left over parts and look for another distributor/ignition system in the near future! and of course I'll be getting another air cleaner~ but it looks kind of neat in the meatime!
thanks everyone~ hope to see more photos!
dne'
zmotor.jpg

[/quote]

Here's a pic I took when I was changing spark plugs. It's a MSD "ready to run" distributor, so no MSD ignition box is required. The cap was originally red, but it has been painted black.

23791070218_large.jpg

I've never seen a shock tower brace like yours, very smart, and the air cleaner is cool too! Guess I'll do like lethal said, re-route my wires may help the looks a bit~ the wires being yellow do catch the eyes very quickly.

Quote author=garner67 link=topic=7497.msg92873#msg92873 date=1276490344]
Here's a pic I took when I was changing spark plugs. It's a MSD "ready to run" distributor, so no MSD ignition box is required. The cap was originally red, but it has been painted black.

23791070218_large.jpg

[/quote]

Now that's what I'm talking about! That's a nice looking design, very clean, wires are uniquely uniform and don't take away from the beautiful valve covers!, and your master cylinder lines are much easier to access!(not that you want to access them all the time!)
Good job! Gives me something to shoot for, everyone ~ thanks!
dne'

"silverblueBP" said:
You miss that car don't you Bob.......admit it!

"silverblueBP" said:
You miss that car don't you Bob.......admit it!
Haven't missed it much - too busy with other crap to enjoy it much anyway... that would be really frustrating right now. Even drove by a cruise night Friday without stopping in.
HOWEVER, when I look at old pics, I'm always thinking of better ideas. The next build will be fun. :ecit

I've really been digging THESE and THESE lately... :naug

Back