• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

photos of your distributors please/engine

Dne you may want to look into the OEM Ford Duraspark setup. Its priced pretty reasonable and if the box ever fries you can get another at a local auto parts store. Unless you are running a high HP motor that you spin to high RPMs you won't see a huge benefit going with an MSD ignition. Yeah it'll help some, but the $/HP is pretty high. The box isn't as pretty as an MSD, but it is smaller and easier to hide. I don't have any pics handy of the box, but thought I'd throw that out there as another option. Below is a pic of the Duraspark dizzy with Ford Racing 9mm plug wires on my motor. I wouldn't recommend painting the lower cap like I have in the picture. Looks like crap IMO. You can buy boots or caps like Bob's picture to hide the dizzy plug wires/cap if you want.

buening-albums-buening-picture481-engine.jpg

"buening" said:
Dne you may want to look into the OEM Ford Duraspark setup. Its priced pretty reasonable and if the box ever fries you can get another at a local auto parts store. The box isn't as pretty as an MSD, but it is smaller and easier to hide. I don't have any pics handy of the box, but thought I'd throw that out there as another option.
I have the durospark set-up on my car. If you look on the drivers side by the shock tower you will see the module. You can by the box thru Summit for around $70.00.
DSC00697.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I paid about $25 from Advance Auto for my box. I have a spare in the trunk as well, just in case!

How much are we talking?

So, what would I expect to pay for an entire system and where do I buy it? So there's a module and coil? 300ish?
Thanks!!
dne'

Here is mine, I have the wire separators off in this pic, gotta find on with them on.

2_19_03_09_6_53_14_1.JPG

Better shot
2_21_12_08_10_56_20_2.JPG

2_14_12_08_11_28_22_2.JPG

2_14_12_08_11_28_22_0.JPG

2_05_10_08_4_47_59_3.JPG

2_08_09_08_9_36_13_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing how that little wire holder(MSD) really brings it all together! thanks for a the photos Rick! you showed it from every angle possible!
I have a complete rebuilt factory power steering system that I didn't use, I think I'll put in on Ebay~ may get enough to buy the system like yours. However, It's easier just to leave it on my shelf than to sell it! lol
dne'

Mine is still a work in progress. I have debated going with the MSD set up but I am not sure I want the box under the hood :)

I had one of the self contained HEI type's like you have but it wouldn't fit when we started to put everything together so I sold it and went with my stock distributor and a Pertronix for now.

I am debating changing my valve covers myself. These I am running now are hard to keep clean and thinking of swapping them out for some of the black Ford racing ones eventually.

However, I just ordered a 3.55 posi third member so I don't have any extra $ money at the moment...always something :)

129_26_03_10_10_17_52.jpg

So, you're going to have to do a thread entitled, Show me your valve covers! lol However, if anything on your motor, the valve covers have to be the most impacting look of your(our)motor and one could have a few sets on hand to swap out depending on how he/she felt that day! lol

Rusty, I have to be nosey and ask how much a posi-trac unit is? It's not on my list of wants nor needs, but one day when my stang becomes a daily driver, it would be something I would consider. Is your rear axle a 8" or 9", mines an 8"

And yes, A PLAN! have it all mapped out of what you want, a lot of reseach or moderate amount of research should go into that frame of mind, not switching around midstream winding up with stuff that won't be easily sold or pushed into a corner of the garage. Just talking from experience!

"RustyRed" said:
Mine is still a work in progress. I have debated going with the MSD set up but I am not sure I want the box under the hood :)

I had one of the self contained HEI type's like you have but it wouldn't fit when we started to put everything together so I sold it and went with my stock distributor and a Pertronix for now.

I am debating changing my valve covers myself. These I am running now are hard to keep clean and thinking of swapping them out for some of the black Ford racing ones eventually.

However, I just ordered a 3.55 posi third member so I don't have any extra $ money at the moment...always something :)

129_26_03_10_10_17_52.jpg

I like these valve covers ok...but when we first installed the motor turned out the radiator leak we thought we had fixed wasn't so fixed and when it got warmed up it sort of sprayed....everywhere. Everything else cleaned up ok but the valve covers just look hazy. I either need to find some way to clean them or I've been thinking the black ones might be easier to keep clean.

Also need to organize my plug wires better and I want to move my coil. Just when I get time sort of issues but I've been busy swapping out transmissions, etc.

The local car club has a charity show in November so I am hoping to find some time to look at some of the details between now and then. I'll show it either way since it's for a good cause but...it will be the cars first show so we'll see how it does. I've never wanted to enter before since the old paint looked like crap with the rusted out corners on the doors, etc.

Here's the third member I ordered

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=CE325

Just need to figure out what speedo gear I need to get now. :)

TCI has a website to calculate it but I have no idea how many teeth my current gear has so I am going to have to pull it and count them.

you'll be able to smoke both tires?

I had never gave it much thought what a third member may cost~ that price doesn't seem too bad! so now you'll be able to spin both tires when taking off? My '65 GTO which had positrac, I had in high school was fun at the beach, doing donuts in the sand! gosh that was a fun car! oh the days~ :cry

Re: you'll be able to smoke both tires?

"Dne'" said:
, I had in high school was fun at the beach, doing donuts in the sand! gosh that was a fun car! oh the days~ :cry

Back in my high school days, I had an '82 F150 and my best buddy back then had an '83 that was almost exactly like mine....you'd be surprised how well an F150 can pull donuts on the beach, LOL!

"Dne'" said:
My '65 GTO which had positrac, I had in high school was fun at the beach, doing donuts in the sand! gosh that was a fun car! oh the days~ :cry

Anytime anyone mentions 65 GTO, I always have to post a picture of mine. And yes, it did have Safe-T-Track (positraction) rear end too.

I just love that photo of you and your GTO! ah back in the day!!!

"Jack1966" said:
Anytime anyone mentions 65 GTO, I always have to post a picture of mine. And yes, it did have Safe-T-Track (positraction) rear end too.

"RustyRed" said:

Curry has an excellent reputation, but $1000+ for a 28 spline chunk? YIKES!

I have abut $700 into my 3.89:1, 4 pinion, 31 spline rear end, 9" traction-lok.

Now this is with me rebuilding it myself, and a friend giving me a housing, but even if I paid for the housing, I'd be into my whole 9" rear with new axles for less than the Curry.

I always get uncomfortable when people call their Ford rear ends by Chevy terms like "posi-traction". If it's a 9" or 8", it's not posi, Its' either a traction-lok or equi-lock.

You never hear then talk about a Chevy rear as a traction-lok. I don't know how it ever started that so many people use a Chevy term to describe a Ford part.

Chevy had the posi.....then they found out about the great 9" Ford rear end. To keep from admitting they ran a Ford rear end, they still referred to the Ford traction loc as a posi.......They were just trying to save face.......maybe.

I know I slip at times also.....just the way it was as I grew up.

That price for an 8" seems high. I thought I found them around $800 when I was looking. As it is now, the 9" traction loc I am buying is costing me a whole lot more....

Might be a little pricey but no one seemed to know of a shop around here that could build a rear and I got sick of looking. I am sure there is one but....

I don't know that much about them so it is nice to be able to buy something that I can bolt in and go.

Now finding the speedo gear may be a little interesting but that's another story, LOL!

Thanks Mark.

I've run the numbers through about 3 different calculators now and assuming a 7 tooth drive gear then I come up with around 19 point something for the driven gear.

Might just order a 19 and 20 tooth and call it a day. Idea being try one and if it's off try the other. With my current set up I have an 18 tooth installed but I think my stock rear is what around a 2.8 or so?

Back