• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Phoenix Updates (Updated 3/26/09)

Havok1

Just wanted to drop a line and let you guys and gals in on the progress of my resto. I've gotten a lot done the last couple of days with the help of a neighbor and a phone call here and there for advice ( ~hd). The car is coming apart piece by piece. I'm starting to see the bigger picture of what will need to be done and replaced. And constantly in search of somewhere to stash parts. So with that, here's a question. How do you decide when to trash a part and what do you do with a part when you've decided it isn't going to be used again? See if someone else wants it first? Some things I know are beyond their life like the windshield. Its pitted, fogging, and has several chips. But my front fenders, they have some rust through spots and have been bondo-ed before, but when do I just replace the whole thing instead of a patch job? Other pieces like the voltage regulator that was on the car, I replaced it about a year ago with an electronic one, but I still have the one that came off (it still worked). Oh well, here are some pics of the progress so far and some trouble spots I'll have to contend with.

Before Starting
000_0015.jpg

Body coming apart
IMG_5924.jpg
IMG_5942.jpg

Floor Pan
IMG_5962.jpg

Seat pans show the worst rust in the floor pan so far.
IMG_5963.jpg
IMG_6068.jpg

Roof
IMG_6069.jpg

Bad dent in rear panel from crash sometime earlier in life.
IMG_5966.jpg

More pics as I get them.

Re: Progress on Demolition (Dial-up Warning)

Not too bad, actually....a little bondo, a little lipstick, and you'll be good to go!

As for chucking old parts, never ever get rid of them until the car is assembled and running down the street. You'll be amazed as to what you'll use the old parts for: fitment checks, paint style, etc. Just store them in SWMBO's closet...she'll never see them past her shoe collection.

Ditto what Mid said, save everything. Tag and bag everything, also be sure and take a LOT of pictures so you can refer back during reassmbly.

"Fast68back" said:
Ditto what Mid said, save everything. Tag and bag everything, also be sure and take a LOT of pictures so you can refer back during reassmbly.

+1,000

"70_Fastback" said:
"Fast68back" said:

+1,000

I've heard this plenty and stocked up on all size zip-lock bags and boxes. Everything that doesn't crumble in my hands is placed in a bag, labeled with a sharpie, and placed in a corresponding box. As far as pictures, I'm putting our new Canon Rebel EOS XSi to good use. I have pics of everything. I may need a new hard drive before its all over.

Brian

Brian,
It looks like you've made some good progress. How bad are the front floor boards? Ditto, to saving everything until the car is 100%.

Once the car is completely stripped.... are you sending it off to be blasted?

I've heard this plenty and stocked up on all size zip-lock bags and boxes. Everything that doesn't crumble in my hands is placed in a bag, labeled with a sharpie, and placed in a corresponding box.

I found it best not to mark with a sharpie the actual baggie; rather, I use 3x5 index cards and drop the card inside the baggie. Grease and what-not can wipe out the marks on the baggie, but not on the card.

I used MAF bags, Mid and Dave should know what those are, they're Gov't issue....! :doh

541371_294_full.jpg

Thanks for the index card idea Mid, I'll keep that in mind.

Dave, I don't know about the front floorboards yet as I haven't got the front piece of carpet up yet, and come to think of it, I don't even think I've peeked. And yes, the plan it to send it off to be blasted once its stripped. I was recommended a place not too far from here by a guy in the local Mustang Club.

Brian

Wow, actual floor boards! I have never seen a real life Ford Mustang floorboard before!
I agree with everyone, never ever get rid of any Mustang part! Even if you think you will buy new fenders you might find fixing the original to be easier or something to that effect. Even original parts that you think you'll never need again. For example, I had and old turn signal switch that didn't work that I had saved, my current 67 wouldn't cancel the turn signals. I was able to take the part I needed off the old switch and put it on the other one (of course it now has decided to quit working too but it is 40 years old). There will be many things like that in the life time of owning a Mustang that you say I used to have one of those! And you'll regret that you gave it away or tossed it.
Anyway, looks like a good car to start with, mine was a Flintstone mobile as have been every classic Mustang I have ever owned. Good luck and keep posting the pics we love to see 'em.

"Fast68back" said:
I used MAF bags, Mid and Dave should know what those are, they're Gov't issue....! :doh

541371_294_full.jpg

I'm reporting this post to NAVICP and NCIS for investigation of theft of gov't property. Hold on...wait until I put away my pens.

Looking good Brian! Keep us updated with lots of pictures! What are your plans for it? Overall, it looks like it's in darn nice shape. I'd try to patch your fenders if they are originals. Good luck with your restoration!

Ryan,

Right now the plans are as follows:

Strip it.
Blast it.
Repair Metal and body work.
Paint - Vintage Burgandy. (original color)
Have current straight 6 rebuilt with a "few" mods. :bonz
Dual exhaust.
Pony Interior in Dark Red. (original color)
4-wheel disc brakes.
Rims and tires.

I'm sure more will be added to the list, but that's enough for now. Overall, a restomod sleeper with a tweeked I-6.

Re: Progress on Demolition (Updated)

Alright got a couple hours of work done yesterday and got the front floor boards unwrapped.

Driver Side
IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6089.jpg

Passenger Side
IMG_6083-1.jpg

IMG_6087.jpg

Overall looks like the entire passenger side floor pan will have to be replaced. I'll have to wait until after blasting to see the full extent of the driver side.

I also got the dash apart.

IMG_6077.jpg

I'll have to patch the radio area where an aftermarket was put in, but overall it looks in good shape.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

The forward floor pans look better than I expected. They'll probably both need to be replaced, but it's not like you've been driving around in a Fred Flinstone mobile.

Once you get the wiper motor/linkage, pedal assembly, steering column and all underdash wiring removed, triple check the lower cowl panel for any rust damage. Even a pin-hole will allow water back into the passenger compartment.

Oh I can already tell you at least the lower cowl needs to be replaced. I've seen the waterfall that occurs when it rains and probably contributed to most of the rust on the passenger side.

Well then, you have your work cut out for you. Replacing the lower cowl is probably the most difficult task in repairing these cars.

The common (and best) way to accomplish this repair is to carefully remove the upper cowl panel by drilling out all of the spot welds. Approx. 135 of them. Once the upper cowl is removed, you have easy access to the lower cowl and the areas to be replaced/repaired.

There's an alternate method to repairing the lower cowl that doesn't involve removing the upper cowl, but it's usually just as time consuming and is less effective. You'd have to cutout the damaged areas working from under the dash, weld in new partial panels.... usually just the areas around the "hats". It gets more difficult as you have to seal the top of the repaired area.... usually by cutting an access hole in the side of the cowl..... but then the access hole needs to be sealed off after you weld it back closed. Like I said, it's just easier to remove the outer cowl.

Re: Progress on Demolition (Updated 1/12/09)

Alright ladies and gents, it is done. Dave Sanborn was kind enough to load up the family and take a little drive to Clayton to give me LOTS of help yesterday to finish pulling the car apart. We took our time stopping every now and then to check the scores on the games and enjoy a beverage. By 8pm, it was all over but the clean up. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Me working on the rear tie downs and springs

IMG_6163.jpg

Dave and I getting the engine out

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

Even the best laid plans (Notice the bucket to catch the transmission fluid. It did a good job until the tranny laid on it and turned it over.) :doh

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

Taken after Dave and the family left about 9pm last night. There still a lot of clean up to do, but man what a day.

IMG_6186.jpg

A big thanks again to Dave. (And wis wife for letting him hang out so long. Of course it didn't hurt she got to go shopping at the local outlet mall.) Next step, get the garage cleaned up the wife can get her vehicle back in there and get everything ready to send off to the blaster. I've found a classic car restoration shop just a few miles up the road that offers a chemical dip and blasting for a reasonable price. Now I gotta get to work.

Brian

Re: Progress on Demolition (Updated 1/12/09)

The shopping damages were acceptable. I guess my wife has finally gotten to the point where she has at least one of everything. She ended up buying more clothes for me than for her!

No problems Brian. I enjoyed myself and stripping the car of every last nut/bolt/screw/clip went rather smoothly.... right up until it was time to remove those pesky leaf spring forward bolts! I kinda figured they'd slow us down a little bit, but a few solid raps with that 5lb sledge was enough to overpower 40+ years of rust fuzing the bolt to the bushings sleeve.

I think you'll be surprised at how little rot you have after the dipping process. I'm used to seeing cars from this area with a LOT more rust/rot damage. You should be fine for most areas of the car.

Kudos to Jen for laying out the finger foods while we worked.... I usually don't get that at my place and on the drive home asked Gabby if she'd taken notes.

Until next time!
Dave

Back