• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Phoenix Updates (Updated 3/26/09)

Re: Progress on Demolition (Updated 1/12/09)

Good work guys!
That car is not near as bad as I had envisioned from the previous posts. Looks like a keeper to me.

Is it me or do the pics make that engine look really big? What is that hole in the side for? I would think it would be a motor mount, bit it looks like the hole is in the block, The pan seems huge compared to a V8 pan. I guess I never really paid that much attention to the I6's before.

Great progress Brian! Looking Good! Way to go Dave, helpin out a brother in need. You da man! Get out that checkbook Brian and get to work!

"Fast68back" said:
What is that hole in the side for? I would think it would be a motor mount, bit it looks like the hole is in the block, The pan seems huge compared to a V8 pan. I guess I never really paid that much attention to the I6's before.

That is where the fuel pump mounts to the block.

Someone is about to bite their tongue off!

Re: Progress on Demolition (Question 1/26/09)

Alright, in stripping the doors, I have a quick question. Should I remove the Data Plate (Buck Tag, VIN Tag, whatever you wanna call it)? I know I can buy new rivets to put it back on with and I don't want to mess up the tag any more than it already is.

Yep, get it off of there. Once the very soft pliable rivets are carefully drilled out, the door data plate can be safely stored until it's time to reassemble the doors.

FYI, a local Mustang buddy just got a price qoute from a local body shop. Soda blast entire car ($700), $1000 labor for any necessary bodywork after blasting (panel straightening/replacement, etc.) and then $3k for a "perfect/guaranteed" paint job.

His car is probably in a little better shape than yours, but not by much. You should be able to use the above numbers for planning purposes. If your qoutes all come back much higher, heck, drag the car down here and have it done by these guys. They run an established shop that's been in business for 30 years.

Wow, $700? That's at least a $500 savings from the closest quote I've got so far. That kind of savings would be a lot of parts later on. I'll definately keep that in mind. I don't mind hauling it for that kind of savings. Doesn't look like I'll make my Feb 1 deadline. The cold has kept me in the house alot lately, especially with the 6 inches of snow we had last week. The doors are coming apart now though and that was the last of the big parts to disassemble. Thanks again Dave.

Well, I guess a quick update is in order. The car and all the components are completely apart. After calling around to a couple places, I went to visit the closest classic car resto shop to talk business. I walk in to check out the place and set a price for him to do the stripping. Before I walked out and he had somehow talked me into stripping the car myself! :wtf He talked me through the process they do using airplane stipper to clean off the majority of the car and parts. Next thing I know, I'm at the local Carquest picking up the stuff needed for the job. For the door jamb and engine bay, I think I've decided to buy a larger air compressor and do it myself too. All in all, I think I'll save a few bones and have the satisfaction of knowing I did it. :burn I hope to start in the next couple of weeks, but I promised my little boy a tower fort in the back yard before his birthday, so that comes first. I think I can knock it out next week, then on to the mustang. I'll post more updates then with pics.

using airplane stipper

Heavy chemical resistant gloves, eye protection, skin protection, etc., etc.

Where are you going to rinse this stuff off of the car? Into the driveway? It makes a pretty big mess....

"daveSanborn" said:

Where are you going to rinse this stuff off of the car? Into the driveway? It makes a pretty big mess....

GOOD ventilation as well. Fumes are STRONG & noxious.

And Dave has a great point... it's a BIG mess. I stripped a few parts that way and ran them to my local car wash. I closed the door so no one could see what I was doing as well... :headac

"70_Fastback" said:
I stripped a few parts that way and ran them to my local car wash. I closed the door so no one could see what I was doing as well... :headac

Your car wash has a door? We need pics

Hell no, we're lucky if they have hoses. My GF took my car to the car wash this past weekend (I got it like that), she puts in all the coins and goes to grab the hose and there isn't one.........

"70_Fastback" said:
GOOD ventilation as well. Fumes are STRONG & noxious.

And Dave has a great point... it's a BIG mess. I stripped a few parts that way and ran them to my local car wash. I closed the door so no one could see what I was doing as well... :headac

I refuse to comment on doors... :cry....but I can ask if those on the car wash were yellow?

I must say I have never seen a car wash with doors? Most people here tear the hoses and brushes off the wall and crap in the bays...

"daveSanborn" said:

Check, check, and check on all those items. My plan (as it was described to me) is to scrape the majority of it off with a putty knife as it bubbles up. That will be dumped onto the plastic that will be on the ground under the work area. Whatever is left I'll wash off with hose and soap in the driveway. I plan to do all the work outside in the driveway since the car is on a handy dandy dolly (thanks Dave). I think that will take care of ventilation for the fumes. Even with that though, I picked up a painting respirator since I'll be hovering right over the work area. Thanks for all the suggestions though, because I'm sure there will be things I forget and get put in the live and learn folder throughout this.

Back