• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rapid Rabbit's 70 Stang

Well, looks like the transmission is ok. The hard shift went away after I adjusted the TV cable. The problem now is I'm getting bad wheel hop when I start out no matter how slow I pull out.

It's still at the shop and they working on adjusting the shifter linkage. None of the detents line up on the shifter in the car. Might have it back this weekend.

I put new springs on it around 2005 or 2006.

It probably needs new shocks. the rears are pretty crappy, but it never did this before I did the engine swap. could it have anything to do with having the rear frame rails replaced?

I was having that problem and i just replaced my rear leafs with standard eye 4.5 leafs...Granted im pretty sure i still had the old i6 leafs

It's still at the shop and they working on adjusting the shifter linkage. None of the detents line up on the shifter in the car. Might have it back this weekend.
what shifter are you using? I had a similar issue when I did the 5.0 swap in my 92 T Bird. The AOD trans I got from a junkyard had a shorter shift lever than the original. The car originally had an AOD but it was a V6 car. The timing chain broke and bent the valves so I towed it home. with IRS I could not get the driveshaft off without dropping the exhaust and gas tank so towed it home and ruined the trans. Since I had a bad engine and ruined the trans, I swapped in a 91 HO 5.0 and an AOD from an unknown car. I was able to drop the pan and valve body and swap the shift levers around. I changed the seal while I was at it. Then the new/used AOD lined up with the original shifter perfectly.

Last edited:
I have the original 70 shifter in the car. I flipped the shift lever on the trans and bought the shift linkage designed for the aod conversion.

It works, but it doesn't line up in the car. When I'm in reverse it looks like it's in between park and reverse.

Also if I put the shifter all the way forward it won't start. It has to be pulled slightly back to get it to start, but if you go to far it starts and slips into reverse and starts backing up.

98f31ce8926791c5f9347bba30e864d2.jpg

f6fedd21662700fad64f3c17922042b5.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Still trying to figure out the issues. Dropped the trans pan. The transmission won't go into park and engage the pawl. Ugh!

Sorry you are going through all this so close to the finish line, Pat.

It sounds as if the linkage is your only issue. If it can't be corrected by adjusting the length of the horizontal arm you most likely need to change the point of pivot where the horizontal meets the vertical (basically changing the distance between where the arm attaches to the trans and the horizontal attaches). This will alter the travel distance up at the shifter which will get things to align with the indicator/notches of the shifter mechanism. From your description it sounds to me like the trans lever arm is too long. If you move the pivot point up (effectively shortening the arm) I think things will line up better.

Well i assumed it was just shifter rod, when the pan is off and the rod is disconnected the inner gear is not moving forward enough to engage park. its hitting the valve body or something. I'll try to get a picture of it later.

Well the verdict is in. The forward clutches are shot. Looking at an aod rebuild.

So what do you guys think. The trans shop will rebuild for $1,600.

$1,100 if I take it out myself and bring it in.

Of course the other option is to trash the aod and start saving for a T5 conversion.

So close, yet so far away.

Damn Pat....one thing after another. The $1,600 would go a long way towards a T-5 swap if you looked around for the right deals. A decent, used T-5 can still be had for a few hundred dollars, rebuild it yourself and source the rest and you may be in it for less than $2,000. The AOD would be the quicker route, especially if you just let them pull and install it.

$500 just to take it out of the car? Hell, if I was up to up, I'd drive up and do it for $400.

I know. I already have easy to much into this engine swap.

The easy option is to just rebuild and drive it. I like the idea of a manual.

I don't have anyone to help me get it out and I don't have the time. It will just sit for another 5 years.

I'm a bit tempted to just sell the car and be done with it. Ugh.

he just got it running...the last thing he needs is you to blow up the motor!

Speaking of...I was alerted to the fact that TERRY blew up his grass chop'n machine today. He didn't realize I messed with it last year while I was helping him install the engine in his 65. Bwaaaaa hahahahahaha

I know. I already have easy to much into this engine swap.

The easy option is to just rebuild and drive it. I like the idea of a manual.

I don't have anyone to help me get it out and I don't have the time. It will just sit for another 5 years.

I'm a bit tempted to just sell the car and be done with it. Ugh.

The new GT verts are pretty sweet cars!

Back