• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats66Pny

hmmm :confu

Gertrudes registration has to be renewed. Should I go Antique or Classic plates? :confu

With Classic plates I can get them personalized to NOT HIS or whatever. Antiques can't be personalized.
Classic I can drive it more often (to and from work, store, etc) unlike Antique that has rules of where/how often you can drive.
Classic would require me to get a yearly inspection I believe and Antique you don't? I honestly don't know if Gert would pass an inspection. LOL Well right now I know she wouldn't. :hide

Tough choices.

Technically, antique plate rules state that you cannot drive the vehicle except for things like getting to / from a parade or car show, etc.

The question I've always had though is how in the hell would an officer know where I was going if I passed him or her on the road and I've never seen someone pulled over for it. There's a difference sometimes between the technical rule and the one that actually gets enforced.

That said, I went with classic plates. The inspection is cheap and not a big deal if your lights work, your horn works, etc. There's no emission tests and it's just an old school safety inspection that generally if your car can roll in and roll out under it's own power you pass.

I would assume if you drive your classic car to work everyday and you have the same officer that see's your car everyday .. then they would catch on. In this small of a town, Gertrude will be very recognisable with her paint job, loud exhaust and that 4" cowl hood. lol

I believe the real issue is more to do with mileage. It'd be awful tough to explain 3, 5 or 10k miles a year driving in parades!

In Utah, there is not safety for vintage plates, but if you get pulled over you must provide an inspection.
The benefit is the cost of the annual registration. They do say you can only drive to and from a function or some occasional driving.

There seems to be no definition of occasional driving in the rules....

I like the YOM for my car because they are blue and white, but went with the vintage due to the cost and the fact that I do not need an inspection to get it registered. I do need to get my washers fixed so I can get an inspection though.

Mel

with the antique, you get a 5-year sticker instead of the one year one--that saves a couple of hundred bucks by itself.

"Jack1966" said:
with the antique, you get a 5-year sticker instead of the one year one--that saves a couple of hundred bucks by itself.

But it limits when/where you can drive it. Mine is Vintage with YOM plates. The yahoo at the DMV could not tell me if I needed the safety inspection, so I scraped the sticker off when I got home. When Johnny pulled me over to give me a Saturday morning ticket he asked about it, I said its in the glove box, the lady at DMV couldnt tell me if I needed it or not and wasnt in to big a hurry to ask anyone. He dropped the issue, but still gave me the ticket...prick. I didnt renew the safety sticker this year.

Both of mine are daily drivers. Because of that, I went with Classic (also YOM). The inspection is $12.5 but the tags are $66 a year. If either of mine were just occasionally driven, then I would of gone Antique.

"Horseplay" said:
I believe the real issue is more to do with mileage. It'd be awful tough to explain 3, 5 or 10k miles a year driving in parades!

I have no odometer.... lol

YOu can do YOM plates for either classic or antique? Hmm.. I like the black/white 66 texas plates. But I also like the idea personalized plates.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I would assume if you drive your classic car to work everyday and you have the same officer that see's your car everyday .. then they would catch on. In this small of a town, Gertrude will be very recognisable with her paint job, loud exhaust and that 4" cowl hood. lol

Didn't you get a new DD? :steer

You Texans have weird antique rules. We have no such BS in Kansas. You can still drive an antique tagged car as much as you want...no mention of restricted driving in the law.

Car has to be 35yrs old, pay a one time $40 fee. We do have to pay prop taxes, but it's barely nuth'n.

"Kats66Pny" said:
YOu can do YOM plates for either classic or antique? Hmm.. I like the black/white 66 texas plates. But I also like the idea personalized plates.

Yes, either one can be used with YOM plates. I believe there is also a site out there where you can get personalized YOM plates, but it may also not exist, hard to tell with the CRS anymore.

"RustyRed" said:
Didn't you get a new DD? :steer

Yes but when I get Gert on the road..the new DD becomes my daughters so her lazy butt can get a job and get to and from work. :thu

What is it with parents today that give their kids cars?

I wanted a car when I was 15. Parents said to work harder. I did...bought a POS.

Who said she was getting it for free? lol :no She knows the deal. If she wants the car, then she has to get a job and make the payments.

"silverblueBP" said:
What is it with parents today that give their kids cars?

I wanted a car when I was 15. Parents said to work harder. I did...bought a POS.
The other option is to drive them everywhere. Everyday. Everywhere. I didn't give mine cars (well OK, I did buy one for my daughter) but I have made them available to use. Trust me, after 15 or so years of soccer, football, this and that...making it possible for them to be self-sufficient in the area of transportation is AWESOME. Plus, you can send them out to get stuff for you.

"Fast68back" said:
But it limits when/where you can drive it. Mine is Vintage with YOM plates. The yahoo at the DMV could not tell me if I needed the safety inspection, so I scraped the sticker off when I got home. When Johnny pulled me over to give me a Saturday morning ticket he asked about it, I said its in the glove box, the lady at DMV couldnt tell me if I needed it or not and wasnt in to big a hurry to ask anyone. He dropped the issue, but still gave me the ticket...prick. I didnt renew the safety sticker this year.

I don't think the county registration people know what they're doing anyway? I have YOM plates but got a 5-year registration sticker to go on the windshield. The cost was around $50 iirc.

"Horseplay" said:
The other option is to drive them everywhere. Everyday. Everywhere. I didn't give mine cars (well OK, I did buy one for my daughter) but I have made them available to use. Trust me, after 15 or so years of soccer, football, this and that...making it possible for them to be self-sufficient in the area of transportation is AWESOME. Plus, you can send them out to get stuff for you.

I cannot wait for the boys to be old enough to drive themselves. I feel like a bleeping taxi (or airport shuttle driver) some days but especially times like this week when they had a baseball tournament....

When the wife got her new car in 2006 it did 38,000km's the first year, until the daughter got her licence.
Then it did a 10000km trip in the second year.
Now it is 5 years old and has 60000kms on the clock, so its averaging 4000kms a year and sometimes goes 3 months without being used.

"Fast68back" said:
Yes, either one can be used with YOM plates.

I pretty sure this has been changed as of Jan.2011. I don't think YOM plates can be used for classic classification any longer, only as antique. Those that have classic registered YOM are grandfathered.

Back