• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"Kats66Pny" said:
$450?? I thought it's like $40 for personalized classic plates plus the registration fee?

How often do you drive it though? I plan on driving Gertrude to and from work... grocery store...car club meets. Pretty much every day if I can.

With the new upcoming rules, I' m still confused on how an officer is suppose to know the difference (without pulling you over) if you're running classic or antique if YOM plates will be grandfathered in. Inspection sticker or no sticker on the windshield? :shrug

I drive it fairly often. No restriction with the classic plate. I just paid a little over a hundred bucks to renew. Antique plates are good for 5 years and I think you pay 40 bucks for them.

"tarafied1" said:
In KY you can get antique, standard or YOM plates. The antique is limited driving but I doubt it is enforced. I have standard plates. They are $15 a year. We have to pay personal property taxes but after the car is 15 years old it's a flat of $20 or something like that. So I pay about $35 a year and have no inspection except the very first time you register they check the VIN. You can get away with just about anything down here compared to when I lived in Illinois! I think plates were about $75 a year when I left in 04 and you had to pass an annual emission test.
Today Illinois hits you for just under $100 for a normal plate on an annual basis. There are also still the emission tests but they changed the rules so that older cars don't need tested...just the newer models. :wtf You would think the point of testing was to find the cars (older, high mileage) that were putting out higher levels of "pollutants".

"Horseplay" said:
Today Illinois hits you for just under $100 for a normal plate on an annual basis. There are also still the emission tests but they changed the rules so that older cars don't need tested...just the newer models. :wtf You would think the point of testing was to find the cars (older, high mileage) that were putting out higher levels of "pollutants".

Yup, just under $100 here where the governors make our license plates ;) While not too ethical, I opted for the antique plates since they were around $40 for a 5-year plate. My car isn't a daily driver but I do go cruising once or twice a week. I refuse to pay the same registration for a leisure car as I do for my daily driving fleet, especially when they keep jacking up the price of the stickers to pay for our corrupt governor's legal fees. The antique plate thing isn't enforced around here as far as I know, and am willing to risk it. BTW we don't have a classic option, its either regular or antique.

Also, I've NEVER had to do anything with emissions on any of my cars (old or new) in Illinois. AFAIK there is no emission tests required in this state, and if there is no one even knows about it.

"buening" said:
Also, I've NEVER had to do anything with emissions on any of my cars (old or new) in Illinois. AFAIK there is no emission tests required in this state, and if there is no one even knows about it.
Oh we have emissions testing here alright. Every single car I have bought in the past 10 or so years has been summoned on a regular basis. Never have any of my older cars been called in. Makes perfect sense to NOT test a 20 year old car but be sure to make me bring in ones less than three years old.

In case you want to know more...

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/

Hmmm, I've never even heard of anyone local having to test. That is interesting. It looks like the testing places are only in Chicago and St. Louis, so I wonder if its not more of a metro area thing. They'd have some ticked off people if they had to drive 5 hours one way to get tested. Our DMV doesn't ask for any kind of emissions results when getting registered here in central IL. Where are you located?

"buening" said:
Hmmm, I've never even heard of anyone local having to test. That is interesting. It looks like the testing places are only in Chicago and St. Louis, so I wonder if its not more of a metro area thing. They'd have some ticked off people if they had to drive 5 hours one way to get tested. Our DMV doesn't ask for any kind of emissions results when getting registered here in central IL. Where are you located?
Two words. Member Map.

I'm outside Chicago in a western 'burb. Naperville. Nice to know there are more ways than just financially that I get screwed in this lovely state by living up north.

"Horseplay" said:
Nice to know there are more ways than just financially that I get screwed in this lovely state by living up north.

Hey, it seems all the wack job governors come from north of I-80, so maybe that is your punishment? :nut Only kidding of course

"buening" said:
Hey, it seems all the wack job governors come from north of I-80, so maybe that is your punishment? :nut Only kidding of course
Like the other 97% of the counties in our fine state, I too voted for Brady. Please don't lump me in with the idiots in Cook county (Chicago for all you out of staters).

"silverblueBP" said:
1. Get job.
2. Get loan to buy car.
3. Work yo arse off to pay for car.
4. Gain good work ethic, responsibility and start to build good credit.

You should only need to taxi them for a week or 2.

One of the million reasons I don't have kids!

I thought the main reason was your narrow urethra...?

I went with personalized plates myself. I didn't want to have restrictions. I drive my car to work a lot, when it was running, About 40 miles one way. WI classic plates suck.

Crap, I just realized, now I have to give up my plates when I move out west. I guess I'm going to have to make a decision again eventually.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Back